Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a thought @boards.ie email address?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

I think i heard something the other day about Mongbook saying they were thinking on releasing their own email system to rival Gmail and hotmail, where they were giving all their users a "username"@facebook.com as their email address...

This got me thing it would be pretty cool if we all had "username"@boards.ie email accounts, is it possible? Would it be too much hassle, i reckon it could attract more people here.

Now i know it would be a real pain in the arse to set up but it would good / cool thing if it was set up.

Like i say i'm only asking maybe it was asked before, and shot to pieces, but i've never seen it asked...

What ya all think,
    Homer.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It used to be available for subscribers, but then it withered on the vine, as other things took priority (server upgrades etc. iirc).

It's probably still on someone's to do list, somewhere.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems unnecessary personally, I already have 2 email adresses I use regularly, I'm sure plenty others have similar, I doubt I'd use it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i wouldnt use it, as it would involve telling real-life people my boards username

i'd imagine a fair few others would think similarly

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As Roundymooney said, e-mail addresses are available for subscribers (xxx@bmail.com, afair), but the take-up on this is quite small to the best of my knowledge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I waited for the last day of my subscription last year before asking for an @boards.ie e-mail, and ended up missing out on it. Quite the FAIL was had that day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I got the quite awesome firstname@bmail.ie, it's dead handy for putting on CVs and giving to people, if means I don't have to explain the rather sad injoke that is my actual email address :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I have a gmail and never use it. When I nodded busier forums I directed all my reported posts there so they didn't clog my normal inbox. Other than that it was pointless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No interest in a boards.ie e-mail addy, between gmail and having my own domain it would be a pain in the arse to get a boards.ie addy.

If they were given out free it may only create a new level of work for boards as well as people will want tech support for it. My boards.ie e-mail isn't working with outlook etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

So i take it the general thought on it is No then , ah well i suppose your right it would be more a novelty e-mail address and it would more than likely be a case that the novelty would wear off after a few weeks, ah well it was just a notion that came into my head :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

You Donegal folk and your notions.

Actually we used to give @boards.ie mail addresses to subscribers, but when Boards.ie started becoming a working business, it was necessary to delineate between the company and the userbase on the communication front.

Still no problem setting up @bmail.ie addresses, though not quite as novel as the @boards.ie one I guess :) Only way to get one of those now is to be hired!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Getting hired, you say?

<_<

>_>

Any jobs going? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Getting hired, you say?

<_<

>_>

Any jobs going? :pac:
    Always looking for smart coders! :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Lol, the only code IO understands is the Safe Cross one :P

I'll finish my MA, then spend the year after that learning code. I'll send ye a CV in 2012, just before the apocalypse hits :cool:

Advertisement