Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster - how long to dry before fitting kitchen

• 17-11-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

We are buying a house and it's just been plastered - finished last week, the kitchen is included but we are getting it put in ourselves as the builders crowd were too expensive.
    Met with the kitchen fitter today and he reckons the kitchen can go in in 2/3 weeks. There is no heating in the house at the moment and I am not sure if this is leaving enough time for the plaster to dry.
    Anybody got any ideas if it is or should it be left a bit longer??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

dubgirl79 wrote: »
    We are buying a house and it's just been plastered - finished last week, the kitchen is included but we are getting it put in ourselves as the builders crowd were too expensive.
    Met with the kitchen fitter today and he reckons the kitchen can go in in 2/3 weeks. There is no heating in the house at the moment and I am not sure if this is leaving enough time for the plaster to dry.
    Anybody got any ideas if it is or should it be left a bit longer??

I'm assuming the "plastering" is just a skim coat over plasterboard? If so, it's only a few mm thick and contains not a lot of water. I'd be prepared to hang my own units on such walls as soon as they appeared dry.

2-3 weeks is plenty imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dubgirl79

I'm assuming the "plastering" is just a skim coat over plasterboard? If so, it's only a few mm thick and contains not a lot of water. I'd be prepared to hang my own units on such walls as soon as they appeared dry.

2-3 weeks is plenty imo

Yeah that's exactly what it is and the rooms they they did first 3 weeks ago seem to be almost dry by now.

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

dubgirl79 wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly what it is and the rooms they they did first 3 weeks ago seem to be almost dry by now.

Thanks for that :)

Just make sure they seem good and dry if you're planning to paint the walls before the units go up. If not the paint will bubble and make a mess of your pristine walls...

Advertisement