Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Nationwide

Options
  • 17-11-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Thinking of setting up an a/c online with UK Nationwide.It was recommended to me.Anybody have any information regarding this institution?How is this institution's financial health?I do not think is part owned by the UK government?Has it received any state aid?Is Irish Nationwide a subsidary of it?Bit scary?I would'nt be happy with that,I presume this institution is covered under the UK deposit guarantee up to 50K?Sorry just finding it a bit difficult to get accurate information.
    Selig:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's a very old UK building society (not a bank) which is owned by it's members/customers, not shareholders. Nationwide UK Ireland customers don't get to be full members of the building society however, and have no say in it's running.

It's recently been named as one of the worlds 50 safest banks. It's not government owned, or partially owned and has received no state aid. It has nothing to do with Irish Nationwide - completely seperate altogether, and have never had a connection.

It's regulated by the UK, and funds are guaranteed under the UK scheme. A quick Wikipedia check and a read of their site would pretty much tell you all of this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Just opened an account with them in the last few weeks,and found them excellent to deal with.
    Based in Dublin by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks a lot guys,I intend to open an a/c asap!:D

Just opened an account with them in the last few weeks,and found them excellent to deal with.
    Based in Dublin by the way.

Spuddzz did you actually go into their office and physically open an a/c.I ain't too sure how to open an a/c online.Is there a facility similar to that available with Rabodirect to set up a direct debit from your current a/c and transfer money over?It appears that they require one to switch your current a/c over from your existing bank?That can't be right surely?Hope you can help.
    Selig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why not give them a call or pop into their office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

seligehgit wrote: »
    Spuddzz did you actually go into their office and physically open an a/c.I ain't too sure how to open an a/c online.Is there a facility similar to that available with Rabodirect to set up a direct debit from your current a/c and transfer money over?It appears that they require one to switch your current a/c over from your existing bank?That can't be right surely?Hope you can help.
    Selig

RaboDirect did away with the need for a Current Account to channel money through some time ago. You can now transfer your money directly into and out of your savings account. You can do account transfers to a Nationwide UK account too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Fungus wrote: »
    Why not give them a call or pop into their office?

With all due respect were not all living in Dublin Fungus. Somebody in Galway or Kerry won't be able to just pop in, in their lunch time either;)

Seen an ad for Nationwide UK on front of Irish Times a few days back. They appear to offer a attractive rate of 3.40% AER (Fixed) on a 12 months savings account. The only set back is that in the small print it would appear that penalties are incurred if one needs to access their savings within the term. Would like to know more about these penalties and even other savings accounts they provide. Anbody order an information pack through the post from them or anything as I wont be in a position to go up to Dublin on a weekday before year end?

I am based in the West so I'm not in a position to pop into their Dublin office,Yeah I've got a direct debit set up with my current a/c to feed money into my Rabodirect a/c.Sorted out the problem anyhow,asked a mate and he told me to google Nationwide UK Ireland and go into their Irish website.It is clear as day how to set up an easy access saving a/c and register for on line banking to feed money into it.There are 2 options in terms of interest payment;monthly or on an annual basis.Need to check out that the AER is the same in both cases as it might at first seem as though monthly interest payment would be a more attractive option.Thanks for all your help guys.
    Selig:D

Advertisement