Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

signing on after travelling?

• 17-11-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Im cosidering going to australia on a whv for 12 mths or possibly 24 mths.
    My question is would i be entitled to unemployment assistance when i return, i read somewhere that if your out of the country for more than x amount of time you can be refused it,can anyone clarify what this time period is? Just trying to weigh up everything before i go because the country could still be in the same state this time 2 years from now...
    Any info much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

I'd also like to know this - I've been away for about 13 months now and will be returning home shortly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You need to meet the habitual residence clause.

Depending on when you were out of the country, you may be refused. The current "relevant tax year" for assessment purposes is 2008.
    "it shall be presumed, until the contrary is shown, that a person is not habitually resident in the State at the date of the making of the application concerned unless he has been present in the State or any other part of the Common Travel Area for a continuous period of 2 years ending on that date."
    Further info here

Advertisement