Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a mod delete a post without giving any reason?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 8:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

It just happened to me and I can find no valid reason for it other than perhaps the mod didn't like my opinion, if this kind of thing is permitted then this forum has no credibility and is just a cliquey club
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They can, but they shouldn't - manners don't hurt.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In cases like this you should PM the forum mods for further clarification.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

/fingers crossed it wasn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Was the thread merged by any chance?
    Happened to me twice where i posted and a mod merged a thread at exactly the same time, and so my post disappeared into the wilderness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

so just to clarify then a single mod can unilaterally decide to delete a post in a thread without having the basic courtesy to explain in the thread why s/he deleted the post or even pm the user involved - is that the case?

I mean I understand some deletions for racist or hate-filled personal stuff requires no justification but I am genuinely unsure why my post was deleted. I don't know who did it, I don't know why they did it and I don't know who to pm to find out who did it and I don't know if they even have the ability to find out.

So again I ask can someone confirm that a mod can delete any post s/he wishes without justifying the reason for deletion - is this boards.ie policy?

Disclaimer: I know 99% of mods are fine examples of humanity who are fair-minded intellectual powerhouses and will explain their reasons for infractions/deletions etc, I am just seeking clarification on this issue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

donfers wrote: »
    so just to clarify then a single mod can unilaterally decide to delete a post in a thread without having the basic courtesy to explain in the thread why s/he deleted the post or even pm the user involved - is that the case?

I mean I understand some deletions for racist or hate-filled personal stuff requires no justification but I am genuinely unsure why my post was deleted. I don't know who did it, I don't know why they did it and I don't know who to pm to find out who did it and I don't know if they even have the ability to find out.

So again I ask can someone confirm that a mod can delete any post s/he wishes without justifying the reason for deletion - is this boards.ie policy?

Disclaimer: I know 99% of mods are fine examples of humanity who are fair-minded intellectual powerhouses and will explain their reasons for infractions/deletions etc, I am just seeking clarification on this issue

Technically a mod could delete every post in the forum they mod if they were bothered enough to do it. Can't see them being a mod much longer if they did though. In practice from what I've seen mods generally don't notify users when they delete one of their posts simply because it can be pretty time consuming and I don't believe the admins consider it a requirement (I could be wrong on that last bit).

If you want to know who deleted your post just pm any mod of that forum, they'll be able to see who deleted it and point you in the right direction.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Only the mod of the forum you were posting in can delete posts from that forum.
    If the Cmod or an Admin had removed it, you would almost certainly know about it :pac:

In busy forums the mods might have a lot of posts to review and/or a lot of PMs that need to be replied to. If they're busy dealing with other troublesome posters, it's likely they won't send a PM to every other poster who they deal with. Unless the post was of great importance then it's not to be expected that you'll get a personal message about it.

There's no official "policy" about it. Send a polite PM to all the mods on the forum. Tell them you don't know why your post disappeared, and you'd appreciate if the mod who edited it could let you know.

Edit: yeah, what AlmightyCushion said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't know who did it, I don't know why they did it and I don't know who to pm to find out who did it and I don't know if they even have the ability to find out.

Contact the mods of the forum, their names are listed at the bottom.

Mods can delete any post in the forum that they mod, but would always have to have a reason (we don't just go around deleting posts for the craic). Usually, the reason is fairly obvious, and if your post was deleted then there was a reason. If the mod is busy, they may not have time to notify you, and then might forget when they're not so busy.

If you have an issue with it, the easiest thing to do is PM them and you'll get a response.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

So again I ask can someone confirm that a mod can delete any post s/he wishes without justifying the reason for deletion

Yes.
    Sometimes the reason is so obvious that it doesn't need a comment.
    However, it would be nice if Mods did leave some sort of comment and most do.
    There is no particular Boards policy on this.

If you have a problem with a thread being closed. Please PM the relevant Mod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement