Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedplay Pedals

• 17-11-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi im looking for peoples opinions on speedplay pedals? Im thinking of getting a pair instead of my keo classics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

I really like them.

The cleats last much longer than the look cleats, I get about a year out of a set of cleats. The speedplay zero's that I use have adjustable float which is good. They seem very well made with good bearings.

They also look really cool and come in lots of different colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I'm a Keo Sprint user. Love them.

I've also used Speedplays. Love them.

No complaints with either.

So, that's absolutely no help to you, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I find Speedplay great due to the free float built-in - good for dodgy knees. If you get the Zeros rather than the basic version you can adjust the amount of float to as much or as little as you like. Apart from that they have a big platform when combined with the dedicated cleat, low stack height, light weight. Just remember to grease the bearings fairly regularly - 2 minute job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

There is some discussion of Speedplay pedals in this thread. As per my posts in that thread I'm still happy with my Speedplay Zero's but they haven't provided me with any huge benefits over my previous Look pedals. Some of the benefits that I rate as minor for my purposes though might count for a lot more for someone else: low stack height; small pedal body (better for cornering); double-sided entry; "free" float; low weight.

Similarly, some of the minor niggles that I have with them might be less of an issue for others: the "need" to regularly lube cleats and pedal bodies; getting cleat adjustment right (very much depends on your shoes, I think - mine were at the fiddly end of the scale); risk of cleats locking to pedals due to dirt in cleat (yet to happen to me, mind you); relatively high purchase cost.

So, I was very happy with my now very old Look pedals over many years, and now I'm quite happy with my Speedplay Zero's. Over time I might come to rate the Speedplays higher than the Looks but I haven't been using them long enough yet to really declare a preference one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I also use speedplay on my bike. I prefer their Zero Track Special version, these have a higher release tension.
    The speedplay cleats last for ages, although they are around €50 to replace.

The only negative is the cleats pick up a lot of debris, especially if you have to go behind a ditch to take a pee:eek: Usually the cleats have to be cleaned out, when I emerge from the farmers field.

You can buy what speedplay call Coffee Shop caps, these stop the muck from entering the cleats.

The basic Speedplay Zero pedals start at €120

Happy Cycling:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement