Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alopecia on TV3

Options
  • 17-11-2010 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I was watching the health program that TV3 have on earlier and they were discussing Alopecia.

They had a "Trichologist" on which I suspect is some unscientific and unregulated profession. They interviewed her and one of per clients and didn't challenge anything that was said which was basically: (1) Alopecia is caused by stress and (2) Treatment is in the form of good diet and UV light to stimulate the blood flow on the affected area.

My GP told me that there is no known cause or cure for Alopecia but that in most cases hair grows back in time. I think the fact that the condition is usually self-rectifying makes it a ripe area for alternative medicine quacks to exploit. I'm pretty annoyed that the claims made in the program went unchallenged and am considering making a complaint to the regulator.

Anyone see this and agree or disagree ?

Comments

I didn't see it, but as an alopecian it annoys me so much that "stress" is always the "cause". Even an hour's research on the net can tell you this isn't the case.

My form of alopecia is treatable if I am willing to spend the money, but my hair will not grow back under any other circumstance. Before I knew this, it was unreal how exploitive some very well known Irish "experts" were willing to be, and how much they'd charge me for treatment. It is also quite appauling the treatment that can be expected when purchasing wigs in this country. Alopecia is becoming less stigmatised and now more women (and men too!) are "coming out" I hope that the resources available create a better market.

There is an awful lot of snake oil around exploiting the desperation of people who have this condition. If alopecia became a more accepted and less shameful condition, these ridiculous theories of stress and these snake oil cures could be exposed and weeded out. I am involved with Alopecia Ireland myself, and as it grows, hopefully we can start to see some changes in the way alopecia is viewed. Nice to see it get airtime, but hopefully next time, some actual information.

My friend Liz Shiel is the founder of Alopecia Ireland as has been on TV several times. She is a member here and has posted before, but I know she is very tied up at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

Saw that myself (RTE player), and was inundated with calls for a week or two from relatives with news of this amazing "trichologist".

Sadly in the gap between what we know and what we don't know about the condition, there's enough grey to let these charlatans get away with this type of thing.

Vulnerable and desperate people (as I was when I thought I could halt my own hairloss!) is what these miracle workers thrive on.

I wonder how these guys get on TV with this kind of thing? Is there any fact screening before someone gets airtime or is it simply a researcher fresh from Uni grabbing the Golden Pages to fill up the time slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I don't have a dog in the fight as I don't have alopecia myself, and frankly, I'm too busy with my own health problems right now, but I don't think anyone with alopecia should stand for this outrageous lie being broadcast across the nation.

Venting on a website is not enough.

All over the world there are too many quacks making too much money from other peoples misery, and Ireland is no exception. By featuring this woman and presenting her as an "expert", TV3 are taking a lazy, unethical approach.

Advertisement