Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pebbling driveway instructions

• 17-11-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

Can someone advise on how best to lay a pebble driveway

1. 804 compacted
    2. Weed Membrane
    3. Sand dust
    4. Gold pebbles

Is this correct? or any tips

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would not be an expert on this . but i would imagine the weeds would grow in the sand/dust.

so maybe having the weed membrane aftert the sand and dust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

weeds will actually grow in the pebbles themselves,no need for them to need soil,as they grow from the wetness/water that gets clogged in between the pebbles.

Of course they pull up really easy,as they are basicly just sitting in the pebbles,but they still do grow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

paddy147 wrote: »
    weeds will actually grow in the pebbles themselves,no need for them to need soil,as they grow from the wetness/water that gets clogged in between the pebbles.

Of course they pull up really easy,as they are basicly just sitting in the pebbles,but they still do grow though.

Confirmed - I dug up a patch of grass in the front (not driven on or used) and put down about 4-5 inches of pebbles over a weed guard. Ridiculous stuff.

Some of the neighbours joked that I was digging to China, the amount of earth I took out - I was determined not to get weeds and to avoid overflow of pebbling onto concreted areas.

But alas I still get the odd tiny weed from the pebbles!

Advertisement