Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running buggy/babyjogger

Options
  • 17-11-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

OK. I'm finding the research into getting one of these mind boggling and am wondering if any of you running parents out there have experience with running with a small child/baby? What brand of buggy did you use? What age was the baby when you used it? Where did you buy it from? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

May not be much use to you but I got one of these when I was in the States.
    They are extremely popular over there. I had twin version and was using it since they were a few months old

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

One of these maybe
    http://www.chariot.de/en/chariot/ (can buy in Europe)

The guy jogging around the world is using a modified one to carry his gear with him

Can get models to attach to bikes or to run/walk with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Bit of generic advice from me as our buggy is not in production any more.

Look for a fully fixed front wheel- the swivel front wheels have a fixable position but they tend to wobble once you run.

The bigger the wheels the better for running generally, but you lose some flexibility using the buggy around town. Ours are 12inch wheels and are fine really.

Started running at 6 months with the first and 3 months with the second. the only thing was to build up the distances slowly and I started on a nice smooth track. Longest run was 24km (with a break for a feed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Having used both, I found the BOB to be awkward folding into a car boot, and cumbersome in general. The wheels of the chariots separate easily for folding. Agree with the fixed wheel being better. Being able to convert into a bike carrier is essential, as you will soon gravitate towards this, and the kids love it. I had a 3 and 5 year old in a chariot at the same time, before I had to buy a bigger model.

Anything that gets you (and the kids) outdoors is worth its weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Get one suitable for racing - vrooooooom!
    2284675.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ Each of the kids have their own numbers?

robinph wrote: »
    ^ Each of the kids have their own numbers?

I was wondering did he nip ahead of them at the finish - you could loose 4 places there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Does that buggy have deep-rim aero wheels?

Taking it a bit far...

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Does that buggy have deep-rim aero wheels?

Taking it a bit far...

No point investing in aero wheels if you don't put the babies in skins and aero lids.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think the one at the front is sticking his/ her/ it's arms out to act as a front wing and help with the steering no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I use a Phil & Ted Sport. Has a fixable fron swivel wheel and I find it grand. I used it from when child was about 4-5 months old and still find it grand. Would normally have been running 7min miles with it, no faster, but there was no wobble at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Having used both, I found the BOB to be awkward folding into a car boot, and cumbersome in general. The wheels of the chariots separate easily for folding. Agree with the fixed wheel being better. Being able to convert into a bike carrier is essential, as you will soon gravitate towards this, and the kids love it. I had a 3 and 5 year old in a chariot at the same time, before I had to buy a bigger model.

Anything that gets you (and the kids) outdoors is worth its weight in gold.

Do you know where is the best place to buy the chariot?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The chariot seems to be comin out tops so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

robinph wrote: »
    I think the one at the front is sticking his/ her/ it's arms out to act as a front wing and help with the steering no doubt.

Nice to get a time in a race to your name before you can walk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Tootle wrote: »
    Do you know where is the best place to buy the chariot?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The chariot seems to be comin out tops so far.

I used something like this, I'd presume they can be sourced in Ireland too.

I started with a specific jogging stroller, then quickly graduated to the chariot trailer (with stroller option), used it to bike to a park, and ran with it from there. Biking with the kids I found more enjoyable than jogging, but if you are adamant you'd get more use from jogging, I'd advise getting a specific jogging stroller.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

No I'm definately a running nut. I dont mind biking and being able to have both options is a bonus with the one system, but it will predominantely be used for running. Anyone know where to buy a chariot in Ireland? Or is it just on-line?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vector3

Re-opening this thread as I am now looking at a jogging buggy. Anyone have some up to date info on this? The Nipper 360 is in Tony Kealys but the wheels look too small. I see that Phil & Teds do one for around 700 euro but that is way too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

There was another thread a while ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76449017
    I was out this morning for a walk with the 2 kids in the phil & ted's double, pain in the... thing was all over the place found it really annoying. the out n' about is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

b.harte wrote: »
    There was another thread a while ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76449017
    I was out this morning for a walk with the 2 kids in the phil & ted's double, pain in the... thing was all over the place found it really annoying. the out n' about is so much better.

Lock the front wheel, I've gone running with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

tunney wrote: »
    Lock the front wheel, I've gone running with mine.

It was, there was just a lot of "float" in the locked position. it was on a roughish forest trail to put it a bit more context. Having said that the fixed wheel out 'n' about on the same trail is still better. I'm not dismissing the phil & teds as it is an all-rounder but for a running buggy it is hard to match one designed for purpose.
    Also, the folding mechanism of the phil & teds tends to loosen over time, there is alot of play on the spacers around the bolts so the whole allignment can shift, this results in the buggy pulling to one side on a flat level surface. This can also happen if the buggy is folded and something gets jammed, like the snugie or a blanket.
    I've had to basically track mine by measuring axle datums to the front wheel mount, I've also had to straighten the front wheel mount arm because it was off, (blow torch). I only did it because it was annoying Mrs b.harte and I got to spend time in my shed. (and I'm a bit into taking stuff apart).
    I toyed with the idea of putting larger wheels on it and rigging a fixed front wheel set up but realised I was obsessing a bit. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

vector3 wrote: »
    Re-opening this thread as I am now looking at a jogging buggy. Anyone have some up to date info on this? The Nipper 360 is in Tony Kealys but the wheels look too small. I see that Phil & Teds do one for around 700 euro but that is way too expensive.

http://www.kiddisave.co.uk/ its like 270 delivered to Ireland for the same buggy. Got our one from them. Happy out, if you have problems a shop just contacts the manufacture for you which you can do yourself. I must say Kealys staff very informed though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Miss Piggy1

Hi, I've just reopened this as I'm just starting to look into buying a buggy to run with and I'm looking for any advice, suggestions from anyone with experience. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Akaamd

Hi, I've just reopened this as I'm just starting to look into buying a buggy to run with and I'm looking for any advice, suggestions from anyone with experience. Thanks a million.

www.babyrun.ie have a selection of buggies starting from €399. I run daily with my jogger and it's fab ! Anything that lets you get your run in and let's you mind at the same time is worth it's weight in gold!

Advertisement