Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen lost his marbles?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

danbohan wrote: »
    The man is clearly delusional in my view.

Well if today's news is to be believed, he's contradicting Patrick Honahan now!

Who's telling lies er....porkies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

lmaopml wrote: »
    Lenihan is pretty sick; money is possibly not the motivator?

Yet again when it comes to Lenihan's performance or creditbility, or even sheer arrogance there is reference made to his health.

Its this simple a or b:

A) Lenihan is well enough to be in office. In this case he should be judged on the basis of his actions and inactions, how good or bad they are.

B) Lenihan is not well enough to be in office, in which case he should step down for personal / health reasons etc.....

Either way, his health should not be used to excuse anything. Maybe he's feeling sick because of the realization of what he's led us into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Aw christ, now we are going to have to listen to the sub 4 Green Fields craw thumping about our sovereignty and various rebels, insurgents, men of 1916 etc etc spinning wildly in their graves. Even the Irish Times has gotten in on the emotive verbiage. Our sovereignty was offered up a long long time ago. Full stop.
    Newsnight last night depicted us as playing a clever game with the EU, it has been a master stroke imo to market this as 'a bailout being forced on us'. The EU is in a terminal tailspin and it's present mandarins will be seen as hugely responsible for that. The shambles that is the Eurozone may very well be what destroys the Union. Now can we manipulate the chaos to secure the best deal for Ireland? Interesting times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

BeeDI wrote: »
    Don't any single one of us forget, that we kept putting FF back in power, election after election, for decade now. We are culpable as a nation of people.

Speak for yourself, I have always voted since I came of age and I never once voted for those crooks. Nor did I get rich in the boom, i was born broke and I'm still broke, nor did I ever live on credit extended to me by banks, but now I and many others like me will have to suffer for the greed, ignorance, and arrogance of those who couldnt stop borrowing and spending money they didn't have.

I hold accountable the greed of business, of elected politicians and of the Celtic tigers plastic cubs who spent most of the past 2 decades fighting for their place at the troth, having developed some maniacle idea that they were somehow "middle class" because they could get cheap credit.

in the words of Jimi Hendrix, "Castle made of sand slip into the sea, eventually". well this sand castle has slipped and now, instead of those who got us into this mess actually paying their debts, It's been converted into massive soveriegn debt.

I'm no saint, but I did not contribute to this in any way, and I am sure there are a million like me who have every right to be angry.

In response to the OP, I find it remarkable that Brian Cowen is still sane given all the pressure being put on him. Which leaves me to ponder, Is he just pig ignorant and doesn't reall care? Or is he a criminal mastermind?..

In all reality I think, as much as I personally dislike him, (I think he is a Coward and unfit to govern) we cannot shovel the blame onto him personally, even if he is partially responsible.

This is a system wide problem that is rooted in our very society. I am sure many were simply foolish enough to borrow more then they could afford, and they are also victims in my eyes, but there is a large portion of Irish society who knew very well that they were living in a bubble, and exploited it for everything it was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭touts

Scofflaw wrote: »
    That is the European Constitution that had spent several years mired in failed negotiations, and which was finally negotiated under the Irish Presidency. Its subsequent career is entirely irrelevant.

I'm not arguing that Fianna Fáil have a 'bright electoral future' - instead, I expect them to take a battering at the next general election, assuming that's relatively close. I'm making the point that anyone who underestimates them is making a mistake that should never be made, and that anyone who thinks it's a case of simply walking over their recumbent corpse into the Dáil is really fooling themselves.

I appreciate that the message that the fight isn't already won may not be a popular one when people are basking in the warm glow of a vicarious, and so far entirely speculative, victory.

regards,
    Scofflaw

So it doesn't matter that it was a dismal failure long term it was a great success when it was signed. Same could be said about every Anglo Irish Bank loan. You might as well say Drumm, Fitzpatrick and Fingleton were visionaries and it is our fault that we could not implement their vision.

No one thinks this is a victory. But the Irish public want justice and recognise that Cowen and co are responsible for the collapse of this state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

touts wrote: »
    So it doesn't matter that it was a dismal failure long term it was a great success when it was signed. Same could be said about every Anglo Irish Bank loan. You might as well say Drumm, Fitzpatrick and Fingleton were visionaries and it is our fault that we could not implement their vision.

No one thinks this is a victory. But the Irish public want justice and recognise that Cowen and co are responsible for the collapse of this state.

Yes, but even though I would like this to be the end of FF, I don't think it will be. They will spend four or however many years screaming from the opposition benches about the state of the country (which they caused) and the fact that the current incumbents have made a hash of it. (lets face it, one more lie won't hurt them) and will be screaming for a vote of no confidence. As usual the likes of Healey Rae and his ilk will have their votes for sale to the highest bidder, and they will worm their way back in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

republican family? republican constituency?
    Do you just mean patriotic?

This country is cursed with the mindset of civil war, pro\anti treaty politics. That why we still have blind allegiance to FF or FG.

No, I mean republican. Laois Offaly is a very republican constituency, republican in a way that would be completely alien to the way of thinking in Dublin South, for example.

I come from that part of the world. I know old ladies with portraits of De Valera who spit more vitriol about the British than any of its Arab enemies. People who vote FF in that area tend to be strong republicans, and proud of the republican struggle. Their loyalty to their country is almost strong as their loyalty to their party. But not quite. Don't think that letting doen his friends and constituents isn't bearing heavily on Brian Cowen's mind.

Of course it does, and of course it should.

The man has failed his country and its autonomy, totally and absolutely.

By the way, this has nothing to do with FF or FG. Republican means Republican, and both parties, in theory, have a republican ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

i quote from the irishtimes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1119/breaking1.html
    Mr Cowen yesterday denied the rescue plan would lead to a loss of Irish sovereignty. He also dismissed suggestions of failure. “I don’t believe there’s any reason for Irish people to be ashamed and humiliated,” he said.

Why should I be ashamed at what YOU did? I AM humiliated because of YOU.

The gall of him to say the irish people should not feel ashamed or humiliated? after what he and his buddies did to this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

30 pieces of silver, what does it mean anymore to be irish, sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Absolute bull****,most of those who you say have more venom than the new enemies of the brits,vote SINN FEIN and most republicans are educated,the ones for rent are the stupos they vote fianna fail

I am afraid we probably have entirely different views on the meaning of the word republican. I am talking about republicans who live in this Republic, who don't support violence and are happy with the Republic as it stands, happy with the Republic of ireland Act of 1949 and content in, and confident about, our relationship with Northern Ireland as expressed in the Belfast agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I seriously think he is delusional and unstable, how could he try to act like everything is under control !!! In fairness the dogs on the street know the man is not wanted by the people, but he still wont go...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

charlemont wrote: »
    I seriously think he is delusional and unstable, how could he try to act like everything is under control !!! In fairness the dogs on the street know the man is not wanted by the people, but he still wont go...

I honestly think he would love to go but the party will not allow it. He looked most uncomfortable opening the new terminal 2 and talking his words were mumbles ......a man just going through the motions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    He looked most uncomfortable opening the new terminal 2 . . .

So he fcuking should have . . . what was he doing messing about with ribbon-cutting photo opportunities when the country is this deep in the sh1t and the IMF is in the Dept of Finance?

On second thoughts, given the damage he's already done, he was probably better off where he couldn't do any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Brian Cowen is a dead man walking.

He has only ever existed in the bubble of FF, from now on he will be the lonliest man in Ireland.

It's now just a matter of how and when.

The sooner the better.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    So he fcuking should have . . . what was he doing messing about with ribbon-cutting photo opportunities when the country is this deep in the sh1t and the IMF is in the Dept of Finance?

On second thoughts, given the damage he's already done, he was probably better off where he couldn't do any more.

Miriam Lord in today's IT:

Guests attending the opening of T2 were presented with a goodie bag by the airport authority.

As the celebrations were in full swing, a television journalist with a soft Scottish accent was doing his piece to camera. He was telling his viewers about the opening of the swanky new terminal by the Taoiseach and contrasting this with the fact that the IMF is putting together a bailout for the Irish economy.

As he spoke he held up his hand. "Guests here have been presented with a goodie bag," he said, removing the gifts, one by one. "A box of chocolates, a paperweight and a bottle of champagne."

His final words? "You couldn't make it up."

Too bloody true . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

gizmo555 wrote: »
    As he spoke he held up his hand. "Guests here have been presented with a goodie bag," he said, removing the gifts, one by one. "A box of chocolates, a paperweight and a bottle of champagne."

His final words? "You couldn't make it up."

Too bloody true . . .

:D:D

Tuned into the Late Late show last night hoping for some big hitters addressing the nation in this time of crisis.

Shane Ward & Gloria Hunniford

:(:(

Tuned into the Late Late show last night hoping for some big hitters addressing the nation in this time of crisis.

Shane Ward & Gloria Hunniford

In fairness, they did have three newspaper editors on, Ger Colleran, Aengus Fanning & Frank Fitzgibbon (although Ryan was tactful enough not to raise the question of how much their property sections helped inflate the property bubble . . .)

Great story from Fanning - down the country on Friday, some old man commented to him about Patrick Honohan's RTE interview the day before, saying it was great to hear a politician speak honestly for once. Aengus told him that the Prof isn't a politician. The reply? "Well, that explains it . . . "

Advertisement