Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to neuter or not?

• 17-11-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

hello :) i have a 1 year old male american pitbull terrier, i am strongly considering neutering him and am looking for some feedback regarding temperament change, territorial marking, guarding tendencies and how it affects growth etc etc...i've heard many conflicting arguments both pro and con and just wondering if anyone who has had their dog neutered could advise?? regardless of whether i do or not he won't be bred i think there's enough dog's without decent homes to be breeding..especially this kind of dog, and i've heard it prevents certain types of cancers, territorial marking, and would generally calm him down(which would be a bonus as he's a handful in the house) fairly sure he's getting it done just looking for some opinipons as once it's done it's done... :) thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

deffo deffo neauter xxxxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you neuter at 2 to 2 and a half years when he has fully matured this will combat any possible complications regarding stunted growth and conditions relating to it. It's not as clear cut with male dogs when you are in the position that they can be kept securely. Every dog is different and whether or not it will calm him down etc varies between dogs as far as I've read anyway. It should stop him from marking though and he won't be inclined to go nuts when he can smell a bitch in heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

If you dont plan to stud him or if he is getting dog aggressive get it done. He will put on some weight but that can be adjusted by you by the amount off food hes given.

I dont agree with it as your dog shouldn't be left unsupervised off the lead so he shouldn't have the chance to mount another dog.

All my dogs are fine and are 100% in contact. For owners that own a bitch and are worried about other dogs going near them you can get birth control pills for your bitch.

Does my head in all you people out there just saying just cut them off its best for this that.. cop on men get
    Prostate cancer and get women pregnant by mistake should all men get there balls cut off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

neutering prevents testicular/prostate cancer, helps with aggression eg male dominance and territory problems and prevents him wandering while bitches in heat.Also some dogs masturbate its true not very common but it does happenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

TonyFella wrote: »
    I dont agree with it as your dog shouldn't be left unsupervised off the lead so he shouldn't have the chance to mount another dog.

All my dogs are fine and are 100% in contact. For owners that own a bitch and are worried about other dogs going near them you can get birth control pills for your bitch.

What a load of crap. Think the shelters overflowing with unwanted litters would disagree with this method of "birth control" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What a load of crap. Think the shelters overflowing with unwanted litters would disagree with this method of "birth control" :rolleyes:

Yea i thought i smelt something from your pointless post.
    I have family members that work in the dspca i know about their situation. And a lot of them agree with birth control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Using steroids to repress heat is only effective in 90 per cent of cases, causes liver and kidney problems and is not recommended in the long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you dont plan to stud him or if he is getting dog aggressive get it done. He will put on some weight but that can be adjusted by you by the amount off food hes given.

Does my head in all you people out there just saying just cut them off its best for this that.. cop on men get
    Prostate cancer and get women pregnant by mistake should all men get there balls cut off?

I was under the impression that the only thing 'birth control' did was prolong the onset of the heat and the bitch still goes into heat when the medication stops, you can't go feeding a dog birth control pills indefinately. None of my local vets will give these out anymore as they are deemed pointless/useless depending on the vet. They won't give injections either for the same reasons.

The OP has asked for opinions on neutering his dog, which is male. He has no control over how other people manage their bitches, you are of course entitled to give your opinion but belittling other peoples opinions in the process adds nothing to your argument imo.

The OP has asked for opinions on neutering his dog, which is male. He has no control over how other people manage their bitches, you are of course entitled to give your opinion but belittling other peoples opinions in the process adds nothing to your argument imo.

I did make my point and i did not belittle or try start an argument with anyone where are you getting this from? I Made a comment he replyed (What a load of crap) i thought it was pointless saying that about what i thought about the OP.

By the way who are you? Why are you trying to act like moderator?

I WILL NEVER POST HERE AGAIN

Regards

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

OP - to answer your question... I would neuter. The earlier it is done the bigger the impact it will have on behavioural problems (humping, marking etc.) and by he is a year old he is fine to have the snip. Getting him neutered can also help curb aggression issues (particularly with other intact males). Some boys calm down and others don't, it really depends on the dog, so please don't think it is the solution... training along with neutering works wonders with behavioural problems - once you take away the natural drive (ie. the hormones!) getting him out of bad habits will be much easier.

Neutering does reduce certain cancers, testicular (for obvious reasons!) and prostate cancer are the two that come to mind. Prostate problems in older males are not uncommon and testicular cancer is not the easiest to spot early in dogs so neutering essentially takes these risks down to zero.

On the weight gain issue - most dogs are fine with their weight once they are done and it affects bitches more than the males. Keeping him on a healthy diet and exercising him enough will prevent any weight gain.

Personally, I would neuter all males (and bitches) that are not going to be shown of (ethically - can't stress it enough) bred. It is so much more convenient for the owner, prevent any unwanted accidents and generally results in a more settled and content dog (cutting out the stress of the drive to reproduce!). Chemical castration or birth control for bitches is not as effective as neutering, carry risks of their own and are not a permanent solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Does my head in all you people out there just saying just cut them off its best for this that.. cop on men get Prostate cancer and get women pregnant by mistake should all men get there balls cut off?

Yes, because there's thousands of stray men and women, looking for homes, in human rescue centres all over the country. Oh no, wait, that's dogs.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

...generally results in a more settled and content dog (cutting out the stress of the drive to reproduce!).

+1 a dog will be a lot more settled without that drive. Trust me, he won't miss his nads once they're gone. Its a simple procedure and the recovery time is typically few days at a maxium. Also vets will recommend it for the health benefits as described above.

With regards to behavioural change, if he has developed a few habits such as marking and guarding, they probably wont just disappear after he is neutered. He should improve over time especially when he is over 2 years old and gets the right amount of training and exercise.

OP - feel free to post pics of your fella :p

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

904.jpg

thanks for all the replies,he's getting booked in today...here's the man himself,this was about 6 months ago he's on the left hand a lot bigger now...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Beautiful dogs you have Heno86:) They are fab condition too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Gorgeous dogs OP. He will be flying around in no time, I couldnt keep our dog quiet the same evening. He was grand after the sleep home in the car.

It took the female longer to get over it but was grand in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

heno86 wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies,he's getting booked in today...here's the man himself,this was about 6 months ago he's on the left hand a lot bigger now...:)

wow - he's a stunner heno86. I love his coat and his red nose :)

Advertisement