Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo 2008 Diesel Advice

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Just sold my 530d need a sensible! family car now with good reliability.

Was lookin a passat untill I read about lots of niggly problems.

So Im focused on a Ford Mondeo now.

Trim levels have I got this correct LX-Zetec -Ghia.

the Ghia seems to have a wood dash instead of the horrible silver.

can these be changed on the lower models?

There is a 125 bhp 1.8 tdci tax €302 and a 140 bhp 2.0 tax €447.

Where does the 100bhp version slot in?

What real worly economy figures would I get from the 1.8 6 speed or the 2.0 6 speed? are all cars 6 Speed?

My 530d was doing 44mpg on my regular motorway journeys. I would presume the mondeo will do more.

Appreciate owner feedback or those in the know.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I'm getting around 45mpg in my 2.0 litre TDCi Focus, so I wouldn't expect big if any improvement over your 530D.

The dash trim can be replaced, most people don't like the 'wood' so you could not doubt find a cheap set and swap them over if you are not keen on the silver.

I would look at Zetec up, LX if pretty basic.

One thing though, having come from a 5 series myself be prepared for a very different experience. I really appreciate the economy, performance and cheap running costs of the Focus, but miss the comfort, solidity and refinement of the BMW on every drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Tks. I Should have said my 530 was the most reliable car I have owned so far, so im looking for similar reliability. The m sport seats were brutal though and my bad back did not help. Also the stiff suspension on a bad road was a killer. Baby on way next year so that why I sold the BMW. Am I mad to buy now or wait till Jan? What type of driving are you doing in the Focus? .. city, Motorway? My 44mpg in the 530 comes from 90% motorway driving. Where does a titanium spec come? above Ghia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Mix of Motorway and town, maybe 70-30.

Titanium is the better spec if you ask me, similar in price to Ghia, but more sporty, not so old world inside. No 'wood', different grille, smarter binnacle and dash IMO.

2007+Ford+Mondeo+interior.jpg

Cheers had a look at the current ford website the Ghia is not there. also the 1.8 is gone. insteed there is a lower powered 2.0 115bhp plus a lower co2 emitting 140 bhp 2.0.

On the 08 any big noticable differece in power from the 1.8 to the 2.0.

I have not driven one yet, but i believe, from what I read they are a comy/nice to drive motor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

trabpc wrote: »
    Cheers had a look at the current ford website the Ghia is not there. also the 1.8 is gone. insteed there is a lower powered 2.0 115bhp plus a lower co2 emitting 140 bhp 2.0.

On the 08 any big noticable differece in power from the 1.8 to the 2.0.

I have not driven one yet, but i believe, from what I read they are a comy/nice to drive motor?

Def go Zetec up, I have a 08 1.6 petrol Zetec and when I was looking into buying it I remember a few reviews saying the 1.8 diesel was a bit sluggish and to go 2.0.

• Advertisement

this is what im looking at...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/NT-GHIA-/201042199910108/advert?channel=CARS

But according to this, the Ghia spec was not available in Ireland in 2008. Could it be an import?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The speedo in kmph would indicate that it is an Irish car but a history check will prove it for sure.

Ghia was sold above the Zetec but below the Titanium X here until early 2009 when it was dropped. Titanium X had Ford's digital information centre screen located between the speedo and rev counter. It also has brushed metal on the dash instead of the Ghia's fake wood and half leather heated seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

One thing to look out for on the mondeo is hose leaks, hoses not fitted properly to turbo and engine can have an effect on the performance of the car over all. i dont think there have been any major worries in terms of reliability over all with the new mondeo. i have a 2005 st diesel and after 50K miles the only thing that has gone was the alternator.

i would try to get titanium spec, more toys as standard on it. Are you considering going up north or over to the UK for one?? i would even try just entering the details of what you want and have to spend on autotrader.co.uk and see what comes up. better range available over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd try and avoid the 1.8Tdci at all costs. The flat spot of torque at low revs is bordering on dangerous. We had a guy in an S-Max with that engine recently and his wife wouldn't drive it because it's too easy to stall pulling out in to traffic.

Early 2008 1.8's were the 6 Speed model, until they introduced the ecoNETIC model - this is Zetec spec but a 5 speed box, smaller fuel tank and some minor aero tweaks. Apparently this is even worse than the 6 speed non eco model to drive.

LX 100ps isn't too awful, and has less of a flat spot than the 125ps versions, but coming from a 530d I'd steer clear of that. 2.0Tdci Zetec should be the minimum you are looking at, but they are rare enough here - because the 1.8 was about €1000 cheaper. Titanium X is the top spec in 2008 and is probably more common than the Ghia. Think they make roughly the same price used, personally I'd go for the Titanium as I don't like the Ghia "wood" trim.

Definately avoid anything with the Blue dashboard as it's fckuing horrible :-)

Looking at this at the moment. May do a deal for €11000(private sale)
    Not so fond of wheels though. Its a 2.0 TDCI

80,000 miles on it. I do about 30,000 year so not too worried about milage.

Most Zetecs in 08 are 15-16k

so saving about 5 grand.

I prefer the ghia inside.

Anything to watch out for in a Mondeo with these miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 2.0 litre TDCi has a DPF (diesel particulate filter) which can go on them. If the DPF regeneration process tends to run very regularly then it is possible that it the DPF is getting blocked and on the way out. The DPF regeneration sounds like the fan is still on when you switch off the engine. The DPF on my last car had to be replaced at 85k miles and it had these symptoms prior to failing. Not cheap to replace either.

Thanks Bazz, DPF is something I know nothing about. I herd A lot of it, is relation to mazda 6 diesels 2.0 litre models. What exactly is it it? I hear its more of an issue on shorter drives. My Journeys are mostly Motorway-Portlaoise to Dublin. I hear DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) is more of an issue but again not too sure what exactly this is!!. Something about new clutch in Modern Diesels!! anyone care to explian further. Should have kept my 530d: confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

trabpc wrote: »
    DPF is something I know nothing about.I hear DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) is more of an issue but again not too sure what exactly this is!!.

DPF is a diesel particulate filter: it traps soot from the diesel engine and then burns it off (for better emissions). Lots of small journeys can knacker it and it's expensive, but I haven't heard it's a special problem with Mondeos.

The Mazda 6 diesel had a mad design which dumped fuel into the engine oil, causing it to self fuel, burn all its oil and seize up. No-one but Mazda ever used that engine, and the issue isn't relevant for a Mondeo.

Nearly all recent diesels use a Dual Mass Flywheel, which damps vibrations. Somewhere around 80,000 miles, a lot of them seem to disintegrate, and cost 600-1200 yoyos to fix. Happens on lots of makes, not just Fords.

Ok You say the DMF gives problems at aroung 80,000 miles. That is exactly what is on the car im going to look at.

What should I look out for?

A noise or vibration in clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Nearly all recent diesels use a Dual Mass Flywheel, which damps vibrations. Somewhere around 80,000 miles, a lot of them seem to disintegrate, and cost 600-1200 yoyos to fix. Happens on lots of makes, not just Fords.

Easiest way to check is open the bonnet and look around the starter motor, if you see iron filings, run.

Taken from a Ford forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Toyota 1976

HI Trabpc
    we have a mondeo diesel, 2008 tdci, as a ford good better than the older ones, but a few words of warning DMF are well knowing for going on them a slight vibration or knock prob worse when cold but should be felt also when hot, low very low down near where the feet heatwer you should feel it as fly wheel is low down dont know your knowledge on cars, see that it is done, alos the belts are expensive and a bugger to do they have two or three of them ( stand to be corrected on this ) out of car work a very years, expensive and i think they had three different types of belts again i stand to be corrected on it, a wet belt i think it is called, great car on a motorway, real drivers one like 5 series but it hard and tiring on more irish bumpy roads, another word of warning is the flat spot on turbos, usally 1 and 2 and sometimes 2 and 3 depending on condtions, frightens the sh1t out of you ... or pulling out of road crossing traffic, you floor it and there is nothing for 3-7 seconds, worse when you drive a petrol as your used to fast responese

do look around plently there and after mid 08 try get one with sensors comes in handy in tight spaces as they are a bit cury the shapes lol, and ghia spec if you do a lot of driving good, and a big boot to for the childern etc there is pently on website that will help you

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Toyota 1976

there ok on diesel, about early 40 mpg, the older ones are better had a diesel toyota and petrol toyota there miser on it, if that is you number one concern

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

there ok on diesel, about early 40 mpg, the older ones are better had a diesel toyota and petrol toyota there miser on it, if that is you number one concern

4 years later???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I'd hope the OP has their mind made up by now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ooooooooo zombie thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement