Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake Confusion..

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Stupidly I told my mam I would make an xmas cake this year.

I got a recipe but it's for a 12" tin. Also said it takes SEVEN hours to cook. Could I just divide it in two? But what size do I go for and how long will i bake them for?

Do I need heavy-duty tins? Only have cheesecake one.

Very confused, planning on doing this Sunday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rainbaby

I think you are a bit late Tillygirl:(. The norm is to bake your cake the October bank holiday weekend and pour brandy every week until Christmas. You ice the week before. Maybe buy one and say you made it! Cheesecake tins are not suitable in my past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks rainbaby. I know they are usually made in October but recipe I have says it can be made a month before Xmas.

I bought all the ingredients :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've made Christmas cakes the week before Christmas, cause I always forget, and they turn out fine! Might be better if I did it earlier, but its never bad. I always use the same recipe, takes about 3 hours to bake.

Maybe look for a different recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

A cheesecake/springform tin will work fine. You simply line the base with baking paper, and the sides, as well as paper (e.g. newspaper, brown paper) around the edges. What diameter and height is your cheesecake tin? Post that, and the recipe, and it's easy to work out how to adjust the recipe for a smaller tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

or just google "delia smith mincemeat Christmas cake", the best foolproof Xmas cake for the tardy like you and me :) perfect for a deep 8 inch cake, I make it every year!

(on the phone so can't copy link, sorry!)

• Advertisement

Thanks I might make the Delia one if I cant get sorted otherwise.

Dont have the recipe on me..its the oldfashioned way and is written out from my gran!

Does anyone have a recipe for a "mini" christmas cake? would prefer to make three small ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

The delia recipe makes a deep 8-inch or two regular height 6 inches.

I think an 8-inch is small by xmas cake standards!

This is the recipe.

Plowman wrote: »

Cool thanks so much. Got two eight inch deep tins in Woodies today. Have the fruit all mixed up ready for soaking tonight. :D How long should be take? 3 hours?

Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone here I made my first Christmas cake yesterday and it looks and smells the part anyway.

Advertisement