Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't decide -which would look best on a large canvas?

• 17-11-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi, here are two of our wedding shots - which would look best on canvas in your opinion? (obviously without the watermark!) Can't make my mind up.

Thanks!

2i92xq8.jpg

egppcm.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't ruin two lovely photos like those by putting them on canvas!!! :(

Go for lovely heavyweight art paper, a decent mount and a lovely black frame, it'll look a million times better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Second one

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

1ST one for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are some processing artefacts in the first one which i would be afraid might show up in the print, so the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

there are some processing artefacts in the first one which i would be afraid might show up in the print, so the second one.

Is that the sworls you can see in the sky? If so, they're not visible in the high quality version ...

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Don't ruin two lovely photos like those by putting them on canvas!!! :(

Go for lovely heavyweight art paper, a decent mount and a lovely black frame, it'll look a million times better.

I know what you're saying... but i'm really looking for a large print for my living room, sort of 36" in size ..... but I agree, it would really show them off to the fullest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, almost like newton's rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Go for lovely heavyweight art paper, a decent mount and a lovely black frame, it'll look a million times better.[/QUOTE]

Where pray tell can you get decent paper ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Where pray tell can you get decent paper ...

Here, for a start.

Call into Steve in 360-DPI or the guys in Inspirational Arts and have a look through their selections and advice on mounting and framing.

Back on topic, I really like the first, but I'm sticking to printing on paper, not canvas. Canvas is a bit yick and a bit overdone. Paper/mount/frame/glass is timeless, you've got more choice, and will look outstanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i like the 2nd one better, but agree, do something other than canvas. even if u put it in a big vintagy chunky frame like this one...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVPILPSoa7NuLjL5-OI5s-G1BPx_c56iPrdA17M46MHwQpF_3z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

I like the second one better too, as I dont like the tree's branches/leaves behind the bride's hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

No 2. Fab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

No 2 because in No.1 - the groom is very straight - whereas the Bride is obviously more relaxed.. but in No. 2 both are in motion and free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

IamBlip wrote: »
    I like the second one better too, as I dont like the tree's branches/leaves behind the bride's hair.

I'd go with No. 1 if you could ask the photographer to shop out the branches behind your head. Otherwise, as they are, I think No. 2 is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

I think i would agree with al, fine art paper will look better, from the small size i reckon Hanemuhle photorag pearl would look good

and maybe an ornate mount,

the swept frame idea could be good but might be a little fussy

a big chunky oversized frame would look good though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Cork_girl wrote: »
    No 2 because in No.1 - the groom is very straight - whereas the Bride is obviously more relaxed.. but in No. 2 both are in motion and free :)

But perhaps more representative of actual marriage? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

I prefer 2, in picture 1 the husband's feet are lifting up making it look to me as if he's about to lose his balance. I think picture 2 would be a far more striking picture in a large frame and also less cheesy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The second one for me! Also echo the +1 on not getting it on Canvas, but getting in touch with ststc to get some more/better options on how to print it

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

No.2 for me !:D

great shot !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

If you could remove the branches from around your head in the first shot without distorting the image, i would go for the first one. I just think even on a large print, you guys would be too small on the image to stand out as much as you should.
    And Number one does look like a pretty loving pose.

But i would echo the call for avoiding canvas, it may look "chunky" and grainy on canvas compared to good quality paper. I would even just go for a plain black frame, nothing fancy, i alway like framed pictures were the frame is secondary to the photo.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I have to admit I've been surprised by some of the replies here!

I must say I prefer shot 1. myself (specifically as wall art) as I feel it's slightly less posed and a little more natural. I like the contrast between the white sky and black trees, and feel it would be really striking on the wall in a large form.

Now you've all got me really paranoid about my liking for canvas. Are they really that bad? :P

So considering I want a large print for my living room (on a blank wall above my couch), I think a framed shot would look lost personally - and if I could get a 33 or 36" framed shot, would it set me back an absolute fortune? I think mounted photos are stunning btw - but for more of an intimate setting.

Argh now even more confused!

P.S I'm not confident enough of my photoshop skills to remove those leaves - are there any volunteers who would give this a try for me on the full size version? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

no canvas isnt that bad, i just dont think it would suit this image

as for space and size, doing clever things with large mounts can help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

As some have said, there are massive PP stains on the first one. It's in the sky, hugging the edges of the trees. Not sure if it's like that in the original but it's definitely there. My monitor is pretty good as well so don't think it's that.

Yeah - I know these stains are there in the small, lower quality pic, but they're definately not present in the full quality image ...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I like 2 personally... great pic.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I'd go with second one but with a tinseeee bit of crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

1ST one for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sorry, honest opinion is No. 1 for me. Groom looks a twat in No. 2 an I would cringe if I were him and had to look at that in my house every day.

I'm sure they are a beautiful couple but not No. 2

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

I like both...maybe the first one though? I agree with the comments about photo shopping out the branches though.

No one else has mentioned this so I don't know if its just me...but photo 2 looks like shes running away from you!! :confused:

• Advertisement

Here's another possibility for the mix ...

jt9t8y.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

one thing to note.. high-contrast B&W doesn't tend to look good on canvas or matte paper unless it's done by a shop that is using special ink sets for B&W printing. (such as 7 different shades of black rather than the normal one or two shades available in really good color printers.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

No.2 for me......and GF says No.1 :-)

Advertisement