Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jambalaya

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Want to make this this weekend, about 5 months after the cookery club, but 2 questions:

1. I can't abide prawns (or any seafood really) and am just to have chorizo and chicken, but do the prawns added anything to the dish that I might be missing?

2. How does it freeze? The recipe on the cc thread makes 6-8 portions, so that's a lot of jambalaya. I suspect that the rice doesn't freeze at all well, so I'd be better off leaving the rice out, and doing the final step fresh each time (ie heat up the mixture, add rice and stock and eat it there and then)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rice freezes fine, honestly, if you leave the rice out it wont be the same at all!

The prawns add a sweetness and meatyness but if you left them out and subed in the equivilant weight in extra chicken and chorizo you'd grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks Seaneh. Er, how much does a prawn weigh, anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes you can leave the prawns out.
    I have found it freezes fine either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

Hey, this is a madly nice recipe for jambalaya. Real tasty.

http://www.elvisrecipes.com/index.php?fuseaction=whatscooking.dish&recipe=Jambalaya&fs=457kb

I added a tin of kidney beans and a few chillis, one of my fav dinners of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Actully made this recently, extra chorizo and chicken as not mad on prawns. The rice will freeze fine OP, first time I made it I boiled the rice seperatly, second time I cooked the rice in with all the incredients and chicken stock, made a world of differnece to the flavour, taste, and final presetation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, I made it last night, sans prawns. Also, couldn't find uncooked chorizo in my local Tescos, so had to go with pre-cooked which I sorta warmed through. Not ideal, and next time I'll get the proper stuff. But apart from that, very nice dish, nicely spicey, and I've been led to believe that today's portion will be even nicer.

Trying to decide whether to put today's portion back on the pan and warm it through or if it'd be ok in the microwave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

corblimey wrote: »
    Yeah, I made it last night, sans prawns. Also, couldn't find uncooked chorizo in my local Tescos, so had to go with pre-cooked which I sorta warmed through. Not ideal, and next time I'll get the proper stuff. But apart from that, very nice dish, nicely spicey, and I've been led to believe that today's portion will be even nicer.

Trying to decide whether to put today's portion back on the pan and warm it through or if it'd be ok in the microwave.

It will be grand in the mic.

When it's fully defrosted put it in a bowl/microwaveable container, loosley cover and heat on full power for 3 minutes, stirr, recover and heat for another 90 seconds on full, let it stand for a minute and serve.

Will be perfect, honest.

Advertisement