Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rangefinders

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

can anybody recommend a good laser rangefinder that could be used at night under a lamp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

never used one at night could never get charlie to stay still for long enough.the lands I shoot I know the range and surroundings well.I have ranged them during the daylight with a lecia 900 lrf myself and son used to pick points and take a guess and then check it with the rangefinder great way of judging distance.but at night it is very hard to judge distance better to have your shooting scenarios worked out in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I had a Leica 1200. Brilliant glass for darkness. But most the time you wont have time to go ranging unless you have it hanging on your neck. I sold mine due to lack of use but every man to his own:) I used it to get averages for my local and usual spots. You can range with the crosshairs at times:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

never used one at night could never get charlie to stay still for long enough.the lands I shoot I know the range and surroundings well.I have ranged them during the daylight with a lecia 900 lrf myself and son used to pick points and take a guess and then check it with the rangefinder great way of judging distance.but at night it is very hard to judge distance better to have your shooting scenarios worked out in advance
    they don't stand still too long for me very often either, but i do find that the further away they are the longer they do stand still.
    i was thinking about using one for these scenarios, as you say, it is very hard to judge distance at night.
    i have found myself over compensating for wind at times, as i think the fox is farther away than he really is. luckily this resulted in a miss only once, but once or twice i had to put a second bullet in the fox, as the first shot only disabled him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've got a Leica CRF 900, won't ever sell it unless I give up shooting. It's well worth buying a RF with quite good quality glass. As buying a cheaper one is false economy when you can't see SFA in low light or under the lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

declan1980 wrote: »
    they don't stand still too long for me very often either, but i do find that the further away they are the longer they do stand still.
    i was thinking about using one for these scenarios, as you say, it is very hard to judge distance at night.
    i have found myself over compensating for wind at times, as i think the fox is farther away than he really is. luckily this resulted in a miss only once, but once or twice i had to put a second bullet in the fox, as the first shot only disabled him.
    I find the swarovski range finder its great at night , What i have found if i am far enougn away with my .204 to need a range finder i usually have enough time to take the shot ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I have a Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder which illuminates when used at night, if you throw the beam off your lamp onto Charlie and he doesnt leg it, its quite easy to get a good range on him - The Bushnell work fine !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

johngalway wrote: »
    I've got a Leica CRF 900, won't ever sell it unless I give up shooting. It's well worth buying a RF with quite good quality glass. As buying a cheaper one is false economy when you can't see SFA in low light or under the lamp.

+1 to that.

Have the same model.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement