Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My question is about laying limestone flags

• 17-11-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I have purchased 60m2 of limestone tiles / flags. They are 800mm by 400mm and 20mm thick. I intend to use them to tile my garden patio and path

My question is about laying them, The existing surface is old concrete which is in good nick but uneven. I intend putting down a layer of cement to level it and put on the necessary slight fall.

When I have laid tiles before it has been in bathrooms and fireplaces and such and I have used brand name type tile cement

For these I hope to use a sand cement mix , my questions are what proportion of cement to sand, what type of sand, and how damp should the mix be?

Sorry if the questions seem basic but I don’t want to mess this one up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

nick 56 wrote: »
    I have purchased 60m2 of limestone tiles / flags. They are 800mm by 400mm and 20mm thick. I intend to use them to tile my garden patio and path

My question is about laying them, The existing surface is old concrete which is in good nick but uneven. I intend putting down a layer of cement to level it and put on the necessary slight fall.

When I have laid tiles before it has been in bathrooms and fireplaces and such and I have used brand name type tile cement

For these I hope to use a sand cement mix , my questions are what proportion of cement to sand, what type of sand, and how damp should the mix be?

Sorry if the questions seem basic but I don’t want to mess this one up

The usual way is to lay a bed of sand down (maybe 2" thick), level it off with a straightedge resting on wooden supports (with a fall if required), and carefully bed the flagstones into it. If wanting to point between the flags it would do to lay a bed of dry mix sand/cement @ say 4:1. This will go hard by itself and, in providing a more rigid foundation, will prevent the pointing mortar cracking/loosening.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Thanks for the info thats what i will do.

Advertisement