Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honeymoon suggestions

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just found out that Im 5 weeks pregnant. Planning a honeymoon and I think I should be about 22 weeks gone by that stage. We were hoping to go to India but I think that is probably not a good idea now. We were hoping to get away for 2 - 3 weeks.

This is my first baby so I have no idea how I will be feeling. Still feel the same atm - no morning sickness yet or anything.

I know everyone is different but what would you ladies suggest based on how you were feeling around that time?

By the way - we arent really particularly interested in a sun holiday so the weather won't matter too much (as long as its not colder than it will be here I'll be happy!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I felt great at that stage especialy during the day. We went in quite an active holiday and I was out walking in the mountains every day. I was still in bed around 10pm though which was a bit of a pain for my husband who'd have loved a few beers at night.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend India considering how easy it'd be to pick up stomach bugs at the best of times. If you want to go long haul Argentina would be great, just getting towards the end of summer by then and very westernised so little chance of picking up a tummy bug. South Africa is another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

As HowStrange said you should be feeling great. The middle trimester is the easiest. Your hormones are settling down so your energy levels are back to normal, any early symptoms are gone, and the baby isn't yet big enough to become very uncomfortable, or slow you down.

You will still need more sleep than you would have before the pregnancy. Also, while a warm climate might sound appealing now, you're going to be very sensitive to heat while pregnant and find it difficult to cool down, and increased blood flow because of heat can cause swelling, which could be very uncomfortable.

Fresh (and familiar) food and clean drinking water are definitely things to keep in mind too.

The heat did get to me alright and it wasn't above 27oc most days. I just wore lots of white cotton to keep me cool. I had to take my rings off though because my fingers were constantly swollen.

However my energy levels really suprised me and I enjoyed the hol far more than I thought I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the info. I just have no idea how to plan when I don't know how I will feel. Not thinking of going too far, I think maybe a few days in Rome or something and then a week chilling out somewhere smaller might work for us too. Budgets are tight & the timing of it all isnt great! But I'm delighted to be pregnant :)

I had a wedding dress ordered but now very worried I will need a maternity one instead. Should I expect to need maternity wear by 22 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Whether you'll need a maternity dress or not is difficult to predict. Maybe talk to your Mum (and if you've sisters who've had children them too) and find out what shape they were at 22 weeks, that would give you some idea.

The style of the dress you've ordered will also make a big difference. By 22 weeks you will definitely have a larger bust, wider ribcage, less/no waist.

I'm just over 22 1/2 weeks, still fit into some normal clothes, but it definitely depends on the style and I'm more comfortable in maternity clothes. My bump is definitely visable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Congratulations!

I was in maternity trousers at 18 weeks but was wearing my normal tops until about 26 weeks, so it can vary. Depending on the style of your dress maybe you could get a good dressmaker to alter it so it will fit? Clever gussetting could mean you'll get away with it.

I had a grand pregnancy and was loving it at 22 weeks. We went on holidays too, I didn't enjoy the heat but wouldn't normally so no biggie. I wouldn't go to India for the reasons the others have mentioned. Have you been to Rome before? Have to say I found it a bit too crowded and there is a lot of walking involved, kind of overpriced too. If you like Italy, I'd recommend staying on the Amalfi coast and maybe taking a couple of daytrips to Rome, Naples, Salerno, Capri etc. Beautiful, romantic area, think of the scenery in The Talented Mr Ripley. Cuba is also fantastic if you fancy somthing further afield - we had no problems with the quality of food/water etc, and March is supposed to be the best time to visit.

Spain should be nice in March.The south of spain should be relatively warm around that time of year but without being too hot. Barcelona always has a moderate climate in Spring and if you haven't been there before it's a fabulous city. Rome is so big that lots of walking around is inevitable. I always find walking around cities more tiring than going for a hike and even more so when I'm pregnant. If I was going to Italy I'd go to other cities over Rome; its just too big and hectic (in my opinion) and you'll be exhausted from walking around.

Just to add, Italy is an expensive place to holiday. I've been there twice and each time it's cost alot more than we'd expected . If you're going to Rome then consider renting an apartment as hotels are very expensive. Spain would be far cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Firstly, congratulations! Secondly- dont hate me!

i really dont want to rain on your parade-believe me i dont!- but when i was pregnant i was fine at the stage you're at- was eating like a horse, great appetite for healthy food, eating for two already.

then at around 7/8 weeks the morning sickness started, then it gradually progressed over one week into chronic all day sickness-no food or drink would stay down but i was happy in the knowledge that it usually stops at 12 weeks... it didnt!! it only fully stopped after i gave birth!! was in and out of docs and hospital all the time and even travelling there was an ordeal!

it got a little bit better in the third trimester, maybe more the end of the 2nd, in that i could actually eat but i couldnt hold everything down. i think dry chicken and soups were all that i could keep down. but i was able to time things better and learned my bodys ways, judge how sick id be after eating what and was able to live my life around that! :pac:

im not saying for one minute that this will happen to you- im just letting you know that there are exceptions to the rule and you really never know how things will change- and they can change so fast from bad to good too- so really do take everything with a pinch of salt. generally most women feel great and you'll have no bother but i just wanted to kind of make sure you know that just because its supposed to happen you may be the unlucky one thats body does it all differently. best laid plans and all that..

im just warning you to maybe make sure everything is refundable/changeable in case you do end up worse for wear. plan it as if you could be sick, dont curtail your plans or anything, just ensure that you're not left with without a silver lining if you are sick. i know a refund isnt much of a silver lining but you know what i mean!

and id strongly suggest that you choose somewhere comfortable and not too different so that if you do feel unwell or out of sorts it wont be too 'away from home' feeling, if you get me? we all like our home comforts when we're down.

having said all that, my friend is 8 months gone and its like shes not even pregnant!! no problems except heartburn!!

as for your bump, i didnt show til i was 7 months, wore size 8 trousers through the whole pregnancy as she was sitting up high, just needed larger tops to cover the bump. granted, i didnt really eat much for the whole pregnancy and im naturally petite. my friend was huge on her first baby and now with her second shes tiny!

sorry for being the wet blanket- i just remember planning things based on being better in the second trimester and it never happened for me. sorry for the long post also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Wherever you choose to go, check what immunisations you will need and whether they are safe in pregnancy.

Also when booking you travel insurance, I don't know if you will need to tell them you are pregnant.

Also, I don't want to be nagative or try to scare you, but wait until the end of the first trimester to book your holiday. Unfortunately things do sometimes go wrong with pregnancies and usually in the first trimester. Hopefully and more than likely your pregnany will be as successful as the millions of other pregnancies that go to plan every year, but it is still early days. Would hate to think of you honeymooning in Skegness or Bognor Regis when you could've been in India!

Congratulations on both the wedding and the pregnancy and good luck for the coming 8 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice. I havent any sisters & my mum died 10 years ago, so I have no idea what to expect & no one to talk to.

I'm finding it really hard at the mo, feel like **** but have to continue working really ****ty shifts which means I either start at 7.30 and work teill 4 or start at 3.30 and work till 12pm. I often finish at 12pm and am back in for the 7.30am shift. Stupid hotel work :(

I havent told my manager yet - I'm really scared that they will be really pissed off and cancel my honeymoon leave. They are hard to work with & talk to & I am dreading telling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I used to do that sort of work too - it is tough enough. Could you talk to Human Resources rather than your manager and see if they could arrange for you to have more regular hours? If your job involves anything dangerous (like walking across slippy kitchen floors) or involves lifting anything heavy (suitcases if you work on reception, beds if you are in housekeeping etc), they are required by law to provide you with alternative work in the later stages of pregnancy. You are also entitled to paid time off for your antenatal appointments and of course to your maternity leave (26 weeks). If you have already booked leave for your honeymoon, they cannot change that. Check that you are aware of your rights before you speak with your manager:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html?searchterm=maternity%20leave

Advertisement