Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBS

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I am currently having blood tests and possible a colonoscopy. I am nearly sure its IBS but i am just wondering does anybody else have this condition and is there anything that helps the symptoms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Previous thread might be of help

I think sometimes it depends on the person too, certain things may cause flare ups with you that might not with someone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

I suffer with IBS for years.Everybody suffers in different ways. I suffer if im excited,nervous stresssed etc and then again I can suffer for no reason.
    There are plenty of things that can help Im on prescription medication and i take natural tablets. But you will find whats best for you after you get your results.
    Your diet is important too i was put on a high fibre diet which made a huge difference.
    You will probably know more after your colonoscopey. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well the colonoscopy will not really show much if it is IBS.

Food is the most important thing- finding out the triggers. Some books recommend going on a very basic diet then introducing food and noting patterns. I don't seem to have a pattern except pasta is bad- can't do that diet because I'm quite underweight as it is. Stress also is linked to it, many people have flare-ups when they're under pressure.

You should ask to be tested for coeiliac- some of the symptoms are the same, a blood test and/or gastroscopy will confirm it.

Medicine- I find it works on and off for me. Peppermint oil/colpermin- didn't work. The names of the most common prescribed medicines are buscopan (very cheap), spasmonal and colofac (mebeverine)- probably the most popular. They work in different ways, one of them might be brilliant for you or you might find they only ease one symptom or not at all. IBS is very imprecise really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s.t.a.r

Keeping a food diary is the only way to find out what is upsetting your bowels!! I had bloods done and a colonoscopy. i knew it was IBS, but it was still good to have it confirmed.. Mine was quiet like coeliac disease as i found out i have an intolerance to wheat, so i dont eat bread anymore :( . I find colpermin very good to relieve my constipation. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 questionsabout

First off...sorry to hear you are having problems.. many years ago I was "diagnosed" with IBS...which turned into Ulcers which eventually led to Crohns... so it can be a slippery road and one which doctors know very little about...

I posted a post in Crohns today which you may find interesting.. it's not for everyone.,..but then everyone is not interested in being free of health issues.;)

I dont want to post a link again as I do not want to be accused of being a spammer... just interested in getting good info out to help people..:)

Conventional drugs only ever treat the symptoms and never the cause and mostly not very well..

I wish you well with your health

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement