Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Ideas for Xmas relating to NCD

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Ok first of all I hate Christmas, if I could find a Grinch Avatar I would have it up beside my name. It has turned into an endless exchange of presents that people will hardly use, about the only decent gift you get is an interesting book in my opinion. So I thought I would start a thread relating to book ideas for Xmas that have connections to NCD, so they can be history, photograph, sport, biography etc but they must have a connection to NCD or no point having the thread here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe something by Hugh Fitzgerald Ryan such as The Kybe? It is out of print, but I'd imagine that Skerries Bookshop would have a few copies knocking around.

If you wanted something more contemporary & edgy you could try The Jagged Halo by Patrick Bentley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

If you're buying for children I can highly recommend any book by Derek Landy. The connection there is he is a NCD resident born & bred.

Likewise June Considine is from Malahide. She has written a range of children's books and a number of adult fiction books under the pseudonym Laura Elliot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

If you want something Balbriggan specific have a look here.

I've a copy of The Street Where You Live...., The Hamilton Family and The Lother Lodge Diaries and have to say they are great reads and something you'll pick up even after you've read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Bluetonic wrote: »
    here.
    The Street Where You Live...., .

Is that the Vic Damone version;)

Jeasus I had a book printed a few years ago but it sold out in 2 nights and we didnt get anymore printed. 750 copies.

I hear great things about Derek Landy. His books have got good reviews.

Niall Weldon from Rush has had 2 books published in the last few years, "Sand in my shoes" was one and I think "Cast Long Shadows".(?) The first are his memories of Rush and the second is more of a memoir, dealing with his life as a major force in Dublin Airports development and recounting many stories with bits of history about other parts of Fingal. Its available in any decent Eurospar, Centra or half decent book shop. It would be a good present for anyone who worked in Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ah Just found this

23.jpgorderNowButton.gif

Lengthening Shadows is an extraordinary – if not unique – book. A cursory glance at the Contents page could leave one with the mistaken impression that this is little more than a collection of short stories, garnered by the author on his journey through boyhood years and later along a career path spanning more than half a century. But it is more than this:

Niall Weldon has spent most of his working life at the cutting edge of Ireland's development from an agrarian backwater into a modern, economically powerful, European nation. Here he delves into a wide range of topics and has expertly intertwined his own personal experiences with an insight into the social, cultural, environmental and aviation issues of the day. The past and the present are juxtaposed seamlessly. A key element in the Lengthening Shadows ‘mix’ is a brief objective overview of the major events and incidents during the first sixty years of Aer Lingus's operations. In this section a set of contemporary photographs provide a highly effective, and occasionally poignant, form of visual punctuation.

Airline executive by trade, but poet by nature, Niall also relives and explores unexplainable brushes with the paranormal. In today’s high octane, cocaine-fuelled, frenetic Ireland, it is easy to forget that this is also a land of legends and fairy stories.

Whether you believe in them or not, they remain part of our national psyche, and deserve an occasional outing.

In addition to his prose musings, Niall presents here a selection of works from his own anthology of poems. He modestly refers to these as ‘Nonsense Poems’. However, these evocative verses contain elements of nostalgia, heart-searching and humour. They hold much more weight than the term ‘Nonsense’ allows.

Possessed of a creative and active mind, Niall Weldon is also fearless in his opinions and voices them clearly in this volume. He occasionally skates close to the edge on touchy social and religious issues, he does not tumble, although readers may find themselves confronted with some thought-provoking conundrums.

Containing some delightful little cameos including The Forge Bench, The Lady Traveller and The Well in the Back Garden, the book Lengthening Shadows is in many ways a natural follow-on from Niall’s previous – acclaimed – collection Sand In My Shoes.

The cover, designed by Rush-based graphic artist Martin Keaney, cleverly captures the book's main theme and adds to it's overall enjoyment. Quote

As for me I am learning to be more thouough in what I post:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Another one for kids is the award winning Niamh Sharkey.

http://www.niamhsharkey.com/

She's from Malahide but lives in Rush now. Last I heard Disney were interested in signing her up for cartoons based on her books, must find out more.

Advertisement