Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I be forced to pay??

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

After much fruitless googling just wanted to see if any boardies can help

Basically the shop I work in has two main tills and the odd time the cash is up and down and on the occiasions it is down our manager wants us to pay the balance out of our own pockets.

Does anyone know can we be forced to do this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

sioda wrote: »
    Hi Folks

After much fruitless googling just wanted to see if any boardies can help

Basically the shop I work in has two main tills and the odd time the cash is up and down and on the occiasions it is down our manager wants us to pay the balance out of our own pockets.

Does anyone know can we be forced to do this??

yes they can unfortunately. Its common practice in dunnes. Make sure you have your own till and float always. And bring any problems with promos etc.. to managers attention immediatley

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Yes,they can. However if they only insist in paying when till is down I would keep track of when it is up also. Or suggest they do it on a monthly basis as it may balance out.

They cannot take it without your permission which is why I am suggesting using the monthly compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If its in your contract that deductions will be made from your wages, then you agreed to it when you signed it !

Otherwise, it is illegal to make deductions from someones wages without their permission (with the exception of PAYE PRSI etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

If its in your contract that deductions will be made from your wages, then you agreed to it when you signed it !

Otherwise, it is illegal to make deductions from someones wages without their permission (with the exception of PAYE PRSI etc etc)

Ya, this is actually more correct I think. But I presume it is standard in any retail employees contract

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

Contract has no section on it and the tills are shared hard to keep track of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

eurokev wrote: »
    yes they can unfortunately. Its common practice in dunnes. Make sure you have your own till and float always. And bring any problems with promos etc.. to managers attention immediatley

No it isn't. Have you worked there? Dunnes operate the following- errors are flagged automatically at €3 up or down, once a pattern is established you get retrained, no improvement- caution, no improvement- retrained and warning...and so on. This is what most large companies would do, or something similar. They do not get employees to pay the difference- small shops do and are known for it. There's not much the OP can do about getting her own float if it's the tills that get floats- very common in small shops.

Try to be aware of what you're doing, what change etc.- it's extremely easy to just do everything on till on autopilot, and that's where mistakes are made. See if you can observe who is on what till on days mistakes were made or note any of the following- did you witness a customer complaining about change, a possible change scam- I gave you a 50 not a 20, a problem with cashback (if you do it), a customer getting a note broken for them and then confusing whoever is serving them etc.

ALWAYS get a manager to count your till if the customer is disputing the change given. It is so not worth it believing some chancer- especially since it's coming out of your pocket! I just saw you said your contract has no section on it- I would contact NERA if I were you. Definitely an illegal deduction of wages since you have not agreed to it in your contract or in writing. It would help them if you could give specific instances where you/others paid up- and any coworkers witnessing your manager in these instances.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is the boss trying to take money from all the employees for a mistake made by one on a shared till? That sounds completely unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The payment of wages act 1967 forbids this,unless its in the contract.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/paymentofwages.pdf

DEDUCTIONS FROM WAGES AND PAYMENTS TO
    EMPLOYER - section 5
    Valid deductions (and payments to the employer) from wages -
    section 5(1)
    4.1 The Act allows an employer to make the following deductions (or
    receive the following payments) from the wages of an employee:
    — any deduction (or payment) required or authorised by law (e.g.
    PAYE or PRSI),
    — any deduction (or payment required or authorised by a term of the
    employee’s contract (e.g. some occupational pensions scheme
    contributions or particular till shortages), or
    — any deduction agreed to in writing in advance by the employee
    (e.g. trade union subscriptions or VHI premia).

Have a look at pg 17.

Advertisement