Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well known nightclub serving sloppy seconds

Options
  • 18-11-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I need some advice.

I was in a fairly well known nightclub in Dublin last night when I noticed the barman emptying the contents of the drip tray (waste beer, spillage tray) into a pint glass. I thought nothing of it until I saw him pouring it into the pints of beer he was pulling and selling to the customers!!

I couldn't believe what I was seeing and said nothing as I was afraid of being kicked out for "being drunk".

What should I do? Should I contact the nightclub? Radio stations? Newspaper? Diageo?

Do I need proof??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

So I need to go back and wait for them to do it again and try take pictures?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jwm85 wrote: »
    So I need to go back and wait for them to do it again and try take pictures?

You have very little to backup your claim,
    I could say I saw you put a cat into a rubbish bin but without any evidence the claim is pretty baseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

What should I do?

Smartarse reply - Only drink bottles in night clubs? :D

Would this not fall under Food safety? You could see if one of the agencys listed on this link would help.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/food_safety/food_safety_and_environmental_health_services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

I need some advice.

I was in a fairly well known nightclub in Dublin last night when I noticed the barman emptying the contents of the drip tray (waste beer, spillage tray) into a pint glass. I thought nothing of it until I saw him pouring it into the pints of beer he was pulling and selling to the customers!!

I couldn't believe what I was seeing and said nothing as I was afraid of being kicked out for "being drunk".

What should I do? Should I contact the nightclub? Radio stations? Newspaper? Diageo?

Do I need proof??

name and shame! :mad:

fukkers make enough money without that carry on..
    seems its ok to give favourable reviews on boards-why not poor ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

i agree with the BULLKF these f@?kers should be outed.Please reveal this establishment whoever wrote this tread seeing as youve taken it this far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

DO NOT name and shame, there is absolutely no proof of this. The OP could be mistaken.

I would doubt that food safety comes into it, as the drip tray is not filled with poison, it's just a mix of the various beers. There's not a lot you can do, bar contacting the management and telling them of what you saw.

jor el wrote: »
    DO NOT name and shame, there is absolutely no proof of this. The OP could be mistaken.

I would doubt that food safety comes into it, as the drip tray is not filled with poison, it's just a mix of the various beers. There's not a lot you can do, bar contacting the management and telling them of what you saw.

why is it ok to name a business that benefits us a la bargain alerts...
    and not one that blatantly rips us off....

proof? if the OP had pictures-would it be alright?

OP can you PM me the club in question please?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm fairly confident that boards.ie would not like to be used for such naming and shaming, because an allegation like that is somewhat serious, and there would be a need for proof.

OP, I commend your concern for proper standards, but if you want to move things on in a useful way, you need more proof than your one observation. If you know other people who use the same venue, you could ask them to keep an eye on how the bar is run, and if they also see slops being served, then you have the makings of a case.

I agree with busman that it is primarily a food safety issue, and the right body to contact is the Food safety Authority: http://www.fsai.ie/home.html

I'm fairly confident that boards.ie would not like to be used for such naming and shaming, because an allegation like that is somewhat serious, and there would be a need for proof.

OP, I commend your concern for proper standards, but if you want to move things on in a useful way, you need more proof than your one observation. If you know other people who use the same venue, you could ask them to keep an eye on how the bar is run, and if they also see slops being served, then you have the makings of a case.

I agree with busman that it is primarily a food safety issue, and the right body to contact is the Food safety Authority: http://www.fsai.ie/home.html

yet it's ok for naming and praising.....

makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

thebullkf wrote: »
    yet it's ok for naming and praising.....

makes sense.
    There's no such thing as "positive defamation"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

thebulkf Please do not continue this argument.

Boards policy is not to name establishments without substantiated proof. In this case, all we have is the comments from one poster. In any world, this is hardly enough to warrant naming the establishment.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Ring up the Sunday World....Or another paper.Tell them the name of the club. Let them send in a reporter.remember Pub Spy.You never know they might do something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You should contact the management about this.

I seriously doubt that this is the official club policy.

I'm guessing here, but I reckon that the the club probably does a nightly stocktake by weighing the barrels at the end of the night and comparing against actual till sales. A lot of clubs do this, and make the barstaff financially responsible if the stock is out by as few as 3 or 4 pints, or 2 or 3 measures of spirits.
    The barstaff may be topping up from the slops tray to offset any potential penalty.

If the club really wanted to do this, they would simply fill and recap empty beer bottles from a draught tap during the day, out of the sight of the customer. There are a few other things they can also do, but would do them before the club opens - why take an unnecessary risk and do it during opening hours.
    This is why I think it's down to the barstaff.

If I saw what you saw, I would contact the manager.

jor el wrote: »

I assure you I am not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I assure you I am not mistaken.
    I assure you I am in fact the true 14th reincarnation of the Dalai Lama

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

My advice OP would be to go back to the club and try and take a secret video of the pub/club continuing this practice. Iphones are really useful in taking videos without being overly obvious.

Considering you don't really have any right of complaint, I'd just sell the story/video it to a newspaper as they'll print it and that is the best recourse you'll get for this.

Don't name the place on boards.ie or online, just get some proof, get it to a paper, the last thing you want to do is land yourself/boards in a defamation action.

Don't bother ringing the club or Diageo as they'll deny it straight out and then either stop it or be sneakier about it.

If you know other people who use the same venue, you could ask them to keep an eye on how the bar is run, and if they also see slops being served, then you have the makings of a case.

Well my girlfriend was with me and she saw the whole thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Well my girlfriend was with me and she saw the whole thing too.

In my (non-expert) opinion, that makes the case a great deal stronger. I suggest that you contact FSAI, telling them what you told us and that two of you saw it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

In my (non-expert) opinion, that makes the case a great deal stronger. I suggest that you contact FSAI, telling them what you told us and that two of you saw it happen.

Contact the FSAI, tell them what you saw, the FSAI people are very good at what they do but they also need the general public to report any food or drink service that endangers the health and safety of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

im jus gona quote this part ,
    and may i say BEER GOGGLES ?
    I was afraid of being kicked out for "being drunk".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well my girlfriend was with me and she saw the whole thing too.

Contact the FSAI and report the incident to them. That is the proper course of action to take here.

Try your local Environmental Health Officer as well. I'm not sure who actually has the jurisdiction for this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did you have big enough issue with it that you left the pub when you saw them do that and didn't spend anymore money there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try to get it on cam and post it on Utube, name and shame and also send footage to the IVF and FSA. They would soon have them loose their license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Try to get it on cam and post it on Utube, name and shame and also send footage to the IVF and FSA. They would soon have them loose their license.

Why bother when he can just make a complaint to the authority that deals with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

it hardly that unusual is it,been happening for years.i remember seeing all the slops at the end of the night going in the stainless steel bucket in quite a few london pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Must be an old style bar. Modern bars have one long drip tray rather than individual ones and the taps are above bar height so you can see the glass going under it. If all bars were changed to this system that trick would end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

dandelion! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Im off to the pub for Bottles this time Lol:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If it's Diageo products being served, Diageo will take it seriously. google their customer service number and call tomorrow.

Advertisement