Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usernames with Fada's

Options
  • 18-11-2010 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

I just seen this thread and was wondering if this should be the case.

Is it a case that special characters are not aloud anymore?

Maybe it's to do with either re-reg's or trolls?!

As an Irish based site, it seems a bit silly to not allow the use of it for usernames.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Tallon wrote: »
    ... Is it a case that special characters are not aloud anymore? ...
    Special characters have to be quiet. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think it was a technical thing. I remember reading it somewhere (probably somewhere "private"... >_> ) when a user was trying to get access to a forum. The system wouldn't read their name properly. Probably affects searches and things like that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

mathepac wrote: »
    Special characters have to be quiet. :D

lol, woops

The system wouldn't read their name properly. Probably affects searches and things like that too.

I don't see why not. Just search the correct name, I.E. with the fada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

It's an unintentional side effect of some username restriction rules. It should be naturally resolved as part of another planned project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In before Frada

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Unusual characters cause... issues... with access masks.

Which then make doom look silly when he can't unban someone he mistakenly banned. <.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

This user has an exclamation mark in the their name though :confused:
    I am sure I have seen Fadas before in usernames. Hullabalú, perhaps?

Yes, this is only a fairly recent change.

There are a lot of names with non letters in them

underscores for example

The restriction was only introduced to the registration system in 2008 or 2009.

Also, there is actually no restriction on exclamations or question marks, I think used the broad term "special characters" when describing it to the admins because I didn't think "non-ASCII printable" would stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ross wrote: »
    I think used the broad term "special characters" when describing it to the admins because I didn't think "non-ASCII printable" would stick.

Are you saying we're thick? :(

Zaph wrote: »
    Are you saying we're thick? :(
    More like you've enough to be worrying about :) If someone doesn't get an exclamation mark / question mark in their username it's not exactly the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Ross wrote: »
    More like you've enough to be worrying about :) If someone doesn't get an exclamation mark / question mark in their username it's not exactly the end of the world.
    I disagree. My "v" would be every so lonely without "!".

Advertisement