Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting J1 without going through USIT/Go4less/Sayit

Options
  • 18-11-2010 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hic I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience getting a J1 on their own and not going through a company. I'm pretty skint atm and could do without paying the fee for a company to sort out my paperwork and documents. The biggest problem I'm having is sorting out the D3-2019, as there's a section that has to be filled out by a Host Company. I wouldn't say there'd be many willing to hire someone who doesn't yet have a visa.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

A what now form? My girlfriend will be applying for one of these also without the support of a company, I was aware that a host company had to complete some information but wasn't yet sure of what that was.

The problem with a J1 is that if you have to have a job when you apply. The way USIT works, as I understand, is that they cover you - they basically vouch that you won't become a liability to the state, and agree to fly you home if things go wrong. Otherwise, the country would have to pay for you to be deported.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yea, it's very difficult to get this visa without one of those companies. You'd need a job, and most wouldn't even consider you for a job until they've seen you, and seen you have a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

also,
    the point of it is that its a cultural exchange programme officially.

If i amn't mistaken, there must be an induction course when you land in america to give you a head start in how to get started, as part of the conditions of getting a visa. To get you familiar with american ways and costoms. (not that wall to wall american tv series dont give you a good headstart!! )

thats part of the the reason you cant just apply directly. Who would do the induction course on your arrival?
    Or more precisley, upon you managing to self certify yourself as an organistion organising cultural exchange trips to the US, who will you say is providing the induction courses over there? Where are they based? Whats their bona fides in having an understanding of american way of life and culture?

Anyhow, keep us posted on your progress. If you can manage this then you should apply for young entrepreneur of the year and maybe your calling is to run cultural exchange trips for a living!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Piste wrote: »
    The biggest problem I'm having is sorting out the D3-2019, as there's a section that has to be filled out by a Host Company. I wouldn't say there'd be many willing to hire someone who doesn't yet have a visa.
    J1 is an exchange visa program, you must have a visa sponsor, this sponsor issues you the DS-2019 with their section already completed.There is no way to do a J1 without a sponsor, although for some of the categories (i.e. alien physician, au pair, camp counselor) there are sponsor companies in the US who will sponsor you. As far as I know for the summer J1 and IWT J1 only SAYIT/USIT etc will take Irish students.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html
    All exchange visitor applicants must have a SEVIS generated DS--2019 issued by a DOS designated sponsor, which they submit when they are applying for their exchange visitor visa. The consular officer verifies the DS- 2019 record electronically through the SEVIS system in order to process your exchange visitor visa application to conclusion.
    also,
    the point of it is that its a cultural exchange programme officially.

If i amn't mistaken, there must be an induction course when you land in america to give you a head start in how to get started, as part of the conditions of getting a visa. To get you familiar with american ways and costoms. (not that wall to wall american tv series dont give you a good headstart!! )
    Nope, depends on what kind of J visa you get, my husband and I are J1 alien physician and J2 and there is no such induction for us (visas sponsored by ECFMG).
    The problem with a J1 is that if you have to have a job when you apply. The way USIT works, as I understand, is that they cover you - they basically vouch that you won't become a liability to the state, and agree to fly you home if things go wrong. Otherwise, the country would have to pay for you to be deported.
    No, you do not need a job when getting either the 1-year IWT J1 or a summer J1. There is a separate intern J1 that can be for up to 18 months that does require a job before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which is the best to with like Usit etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I saw that you needed a sponsor alright, I looked at going to sponsors directly, but a lot of them just say "contact our rep in your country". Does anyone know any sponsors that can be dealt with directly, without going through an Irish company? Also sponsors are only required to place 50% of applicants so surely there must be some way of getting around the "host company" section of the form?

I saw that you needed a sponsor alright, I looked at going to sponsors directly, but a lot of them just say "contact our rep in your country". Does anyone know any sponsors that can be dealt with directly, without going through an Irish company?
    Each sponsor company operates within a narrow remit, as far as I know USIT/SAYIT/Go4Less are the only one allowed to do IWT/intern/summer J1s in Ireland - I think there used to be another company in the US that used to do them for Irish people but I can't remember the name (it was something like IIRC).

Also sponsors are only required to place 50% of applicants so surely there must be some way of getting around the "host company" section of the form?
    You can't get a form without having a sponsor, they are issued to the sponsor by the DHS. I don't know where you are getting the 50% figure, some J1 visas don't require the sponsor to place you at all others require you to have a job before you get the visa. What kind of J1 are you looking for?

Just the work/travel one. I got the 50% figure from http://www.j1online.ie/faq
    Do I need a job before I go?

No. However, programme regulations do require 50% of participants to have a pre-arranged job. Therefore, if you have a job before you go, please send your job offer to USIT on the USIT/CIEE Employer Offer Agreement Form and we can reduce your required funding when entering the US from US$950 to US$475.

So basically I know I need a sponsor, I jsut don't want to have to pay the fees of an Irish company to get one and would like to know if any sponsors deal directly with students and not through agencies.

would like to know if any sponsors deal directly with students and not through agencies.
    USIT/SAYIT etc. are the sponsors

I didn't get that from looking at the websites, they're not on the US list of approved sponsors and they say they arrange the sponsor for you as well as naming the sponsors they deal with. I'm guessing from your username that you're from the states so probably know more about it than I do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Anyone on this list could sponsor your visa
    http://eca.state.gov/jexchanges/index.cfm

I didn't get that from looking at the websites, they're not on the US list of approved sponsors and they say they arrange the sponsor for you as well as naming the sponsors they deal with. I'm guessing from your username that you're from the states so probably know more about it than I do!

I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again. You seem to be correct in saying that they are not on the designated sponsor list. I wonder if you could find out from someone who went before which of the sponsors was on their Ds-2019?

Also, I'm Irish but in the US on a J2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The US designated sponsors which SAYIT and USIT work with are called Interexchange and CIEE respectively. I have tried myself to go through both of these companies directly. They always respond and say something along the lines of "Since you are in Ireland, you have to go through our Irish Sponsoring partner". By all means try and go directly with them again, they may have changed their system.

The company I previously went with was a US company called Intrax, it didn't cut any costs going with them though, and they only offer then internship J1.

Hmm, the J1 companies are also trying to get me to buy all sorts of stupid extras I already have or don't need. Bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Hmm, the J1 companies are also trying to get me to buy all sorts of stupid extras I already have or don't need. Bleh.

Welcome to the real world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 USIT: Simone

USIT HQ wrote: »
    US designated sponsors which SAYIT and USIT work with are called Interexchange and CIEE respectively. I have tried myself to go through both of these companies directly. They always respond and say something along the lines of "Since you are in Ireland, you have to go through our Irish Sponsoring partner". By all means try and go directly with them again, they may have changed their system.

The company I previously went with was a US company called Intrax, it didn't cut any costs going with them though, and they only offer then internship J1.

This is correct. The visa system between the US and Ireland works as part of an exchange agreement. This is why you cannot apply without an agency. USIT are partners with CIEE in the States who become your sponsors which allows you entry. As for costs, although it can seem expensive, these costs are necessary and the majority mandatory to ensure your eligibility and your safety in the states. For example, for the J1 Work & Travel summer visa, the costs involved are:

Sevis $30: Government tracking fee introduced after 9/11
    Embassy fee $140: Paid directly to the embassy
    Flights (varies on East or West coast): Return flights ensure students are returning to Ireland which is a condition of their visa. This also covers a free date and route change until March 15th, which are also frequently availed of
    Insurance with exam failure coverage: Comprehensive cover in the case of an emergency or the need to sit a repeat exam (very important for students away for the summer)
    Programme fee (varies, right now €99): This covers visa and work papers (DS2019), prep and admin for Embassy interview, 24 support from CIEE, online US employer database (we have contacted nearly 300 US employers for our summer J1 database and work hard to match students to jobs), ability to track visa online

When a student initiates their J1 application, USIT must subsidise their costs until the total fee is paid, which is done in installments over months. It is in our interest to accommodate our clients and ensure that their experience is a fantastic and beneficial one.

For any further questions on US visas, please contact programmes@usit.ie or consult the FAQs on www.usit.ie which can be quite helpful.
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

Can anyone give me a breakdown of sayits j1 visa costs and whats the difference with them?? How much roughly cheaper are they ??They supposedly are! your help would be appretiated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Go do it yourself. it's about 99 for all three for the program. the embassy fee is $130, then there's the sevis fee, you have to pay this with each of them. Insurance etc you'll need too, but make sure yours cov ers their required standards. Then youy have to book your flights with them too usually. They're all around the same prices really...
    Don't be a lazy bum..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

does anybody know if any of the companys let you book your own flights. i think its a bit of a joke that they cant even give me a quote of the cost of flights untill i book my j1 with them. i was talking to usit earlier and they said the flights will be roughly 600 euro. i'm heading to boston and i can get direct flights on the same dates for 430 euro. why are they charging me more and the flights are not even direct, bit of a scam and doing it to students is even worse. what happens if i get my j1 with them and they decide to tell me the flights are gonna cost 700

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

This is correct. The visa system between the US and Ireland works as part of an exchange agreement. This is why you cannot apply without an agency. USIT are partners with CIEE in the States who become your sponsors which allows you entry. As for costs, although it can seem expensive, these costs are necessary and the majority mandatory to ensure your eligibility and your safety in the states. For example, for the J1 Work & Travel summer visa, the costs involved are:

Sevis $30: Government tracking fee introduced after 9/11
    Embassy fee $140: Paid directly to the embassy
    Flights (varies on East or West coast): Return flights ensure students are returning to Ireland which is a condition of their visa. This also covers a free date and route change until March 15th, which are also frequently availed of
    Insurance with exam failure coverage: Comprehensive cover in the case of an emergency or the need to sit a repeat exam (very important for students away for the summer)
    Programme fee (varies, right now €99): This covers visa and work papers (DS2019), prep and admin for Embassy interview, 24 support from CIEE, online US employer database (we have contacted nearly 300 US employers for our summer J1 database and work hard to match students to jobs), ability to track visa online

When a student initiates their J1 application, USIT must subsidise their costs until the total fee is paid, which is done in installments over months. It is in our interest to accommodate our clients and ensure that their experience is a fantastic and beneficial one.

For any further questions on US visas, please contact programmes@usit.ie or consult the FAQs on www.usit.ie which can be quite helpful.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't think there's anything necessary about USIT's flight system. I could go with the same airline I used on the same day for nearly half the price but all USIT flights are the most expensive because they have an agreed system of only using expensive flights for students. Even when I requested cheaper flights I was told I had to go with British Airways, even though I urged and showed my representative that I could go with British Airways on the same day for 40% lower cost. The fact that students are subjected to such high costs because USIT have agreements with airline companies causing students to pay overprice is actually disgusting and then attempting to convince them it's necessary is completely manipulative.
    Also, a student from Dublin HAS to make a stop-off which could be in England which is totally irrelevant and a waste of time/money as we are in a physically closer country.
    I found USIT generally OK as travel agents but upmost ridiculous at times. I won't go into a story of what they tried to make me pay due to a tiny discrepancy but it was actually so out of line, thankfully I won the argument before it went any further as I saw they were in the wrong but had I not fought it they were completely trying to take advantage of a student and their money/parent's money. A less lawfully educated person would have easily fallen for the scheme they subjected me to. I don't think USIT are bad people as the staff are actually extremely friendly, but they all vary on their knowledge of the J1 system.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's anything necessary about USIT's flight system. I could go with the same airline I used on the same day for nearly half the price but all USIT flights are the most expensive because they have an agreed system of only using expensive flights for students. Even when I requested cheaper flights I was told I had to go with British Airways, even though I urged and showed my representative that I could go with British Airways on the same day for 40% lower cost. The fact that students are subjected to such high costs because USIT have agreements with airline companies causing students to pay overprice is actually disgusting and then attempting to convince them it's necessary is completely manipulative.
    Also, a student from Dublin HAS to make a stop-off which could be in England which is totally irrelevant and a waste of time/money as we are in a physically closer country.
    I found USIT generally OK as travel agents but upmost ridiculous at times. I won't go into a story of what they tried to make me pay due to a tiny discrepancy but it was actually so out of line, thankfully I won the argument before it went any further as I saw they were in the wrong but had I not fought it they were completely trying to take advantage of a student and their money/parent's money. A less lawfully educated person would have easily fallen for the scheme they subjected me to. I don't think USIT are bad people as the staff are actually extremely friendly, but they all vary on their knowledge of the J1 system.

I disagree. USIT are in this to make money. They advertise rock bottom prices for the J1, for getting your Visa etc, and make their profit on reselling their flights. it's in the contracts you sign that you will fly there and back with USIT. Of course they're going to charge extra when you';ve already signed a contract that limits you to flying with their choice of airline. It's not about them making it as cheap as possible for you once they have your guarantee (in writing)

It's fine that USIT need to make a profit, but their prices are sometimes above double the average flight prices. Also how do you explain them making me make a stop off at England. Also, students from England applying through Ireland can't just fly direct from England, they are made fly from Ireland back to England then to America, completely unnecessary. And in addition to this the sham they tried to make me pay after their blunder which I won't go into was appalling, it was clear they were trying to take advantage of me, what type of travel agent tries to do that, there's making money and pure manipulation. I don't mind a travel agency trying to make money, but they act sly about their expensive flights, they can act like they don't know any better, luring students into false conceptions. Everybody knows everything about USIT, from their charity excursions to developing countries to their J1 visas are money making schemes.

PoppyRowe wrote: »
    It's fine that USIT need to make a profit, but their prices are sometimes above double the average flight prices. Also how do you explain them making me make a stop off at England. Also, students from England applying through Ireland can't just fly direct from England, they are made fly from Ireland back to England then to America, completely unnecessary. And in addition to this the sham they tried to make me pay after their blunder which I won't go into was appalling, it was clear they were trying to take advantage of me, what type of travel agent tries to do that, there's making money and pure manipulation. I don't mind a travel agency trying to make money, but they act sly about their expensive flights, they can act like they don't know any better, luring students into false conceptions. Everybody knows everything about USIT, from their charity excursions to developing countries to their J1 visas are money making schemes.

I agree with your last point. I can't explain them making you stop off in england, but I know a few of my friends flew striaght from shannon this year. My guess is it's cheaper for the airline to fly dublin-UK, refuel fully there and load on some extra passengers, and fly UK-US. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying that the contract you choose to sign with USIT states that these terms will apply. If you don't like it, then fly with someone else
    (Sorry, that post seems cranky, I haven't had my morning coffee yet)

Groinshot wrote: »
    I agree with your last point. I can't explain them making you stop off in england, but I know a few of my friends flew striaght from shannon this year. My guess is it's cheaper for the airline to fly dublin-UK, refuel fully there and load on some extra passengers, and fly UK-US. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying that the contract you choose to sign with USIT states that these terms will apply. If you don't like it, then fly with someone else
    (Sorry, that post seems cranky, I haven't had my morning coffee yet)

No it's nothing about refueling, you are made take an aer lingus flight to England and then a separate British Airways flight, it's just a direct extraction of a young student's money and time. I am already paying extraordinary prices for my flights (which I can live with) and then they throw that on top. And with regards to flying with somebody else, you're not allowed to book your own flights with a company when it comes to a J1 so I don't understand that advice.I mean USIT are sneaky and I've had my own personal experience of it, they have gone into debt before so I can see why they'd be so "money hungry" (the only term I can use here).

No it's nothing about refueling, you are made take an aer lingus flight to England and then a separate British Airways flight, it's just a direct extraction of a young student's money and time. I am already paying extraordinary prices for my flights (which I can live with) and then they throw that on top. And with regards to flying with somebody else, you're not allowed to book your own flights with a company when it comes to a J1 so I don't understand that advice.I mean USIT are sneaky and I've had my own personal experience of it, they have gone into debt before so I can see why they'd be so "money hungry" (the only term I can use here).

I never said fly with someone else. You're missing the point here. USIT don't pick the most expensive flights, they pick the cheapest way to get you from A to B, and charge you through the roof for it.

did you not say "if you don't like it then fly with someone else"? I am aware of what I'm signing into when I agreed to use USIT, but I didn't exactly have a choice. You have to use an agency appointed by the US embassy to have a J1 and they all incur the same ridiculous costs. Also USIT don't choose the cheapest flights, I've seen cheaper flights on the same day with the same company, if people saw the actual costs of the flights at the same time do you really think they'd be very happy about it? The airlines pay them to get people on the most expensive flight, I was made pay 800 Euro for flights to America whilst I could have flown (direct from Dublin may I add) on the same day for 450 Euro.

did you not say "if you don't like it then fly with someone else"? I am aware of what I'm signing into when I agreed to use USIT, but I didn't exactly have a choice. You have to use an agency appointed by the US embassy to have a J1 and they all incur the same ridiculous costs. Also USIT don't choose the cheapest flights, I've seen cheaper flights on the same day with the same company, if people saw the actual costs of the flights at the same time do you really think they'd be very happy about it? The airlines pay them to get people on the most expensive flight, I was made pay 800 Euro for flights to America whilst I could have flown (direct from Dublin may I add) on the same day for 450 Euro.
    I did, I apologise. I meant go with someone who isn't USIT, There's a few options.
    You are missing the point ehre this time. Usit pick the cheapest flights for you to fly on (so Aerlingus to UK, then BA to the states for 450) and they pay that, but they charge YOU 800 quid, giving them their profit on the flights. You can't see them making much money elsewhere, can you?

look you're missing the point. they tried to take advantage of my money. they also make me go to england first before i go to america. they can get away with it because in their eyes we're voiceless students. do you really think a travel agency that organized 'j1s' for the 40-60 age sector would ever get away with sending them to England first.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

Very simple solution to the problem. Go with IICentre in Boston. Book your own flights they are there to help people live in America and secure visas etc

They are not run as Usit/Sayit and whatever companies are there, who are taking advantage of travelers to the US . I have with with IIc and have not had one problem ever with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

[/QUOTE]

I have a query, and for any Boardsies as I don't expect an official answer but does anyone have a clue what the failure to find any work is like for us Irish J1 folks?

Advertisement