Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting J1 without going through USIT/Go4less/Sayit

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have a query, and for any Boardsies as I don't expect an official answer but does anyone have a clue what the failure to find any work is like for us Irish J1 folks?

Depends on where you are, how hard you try, when you get there and if there are a lot of other J1s, your area of work interest and your experience.

I know people who left NY last summer as they couldn't get work, some went to Boston, others got work straight away in NYC, lots who went to the Hamptons for service work came back into the city due to lack of jobs. For myself, it took just over a month to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

In looking for jobs: get here early before the masses of Irish come, a lot of places take on a good few extra summer staff, craigslist is a good website for searching, in the Food/bev/hosp section keep an eye out for open call jobs, where you must call into the establishment and apply, rather than emailing resumes... Really gives you a good opportunity to make a good impression on the manager by meeting them in person, hence giving you a better chance at employment

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Millie H

Hi Everyone,
    To any of ye going through an agency for a J1 do not expect it to be easy. We were told by other students in our class that they had nothing but hassle with USIT last yr so went with Go4Less. Where to start? It's nothing but a money racket and 6 months of constant hassle:
    *Had to go to Dublin to officially register and visit American Embassy where they had lost everyones online applications so the whole thing had to be done by hand at the office, photos had to be retaken and they charged €11 for this when they were at fault for losing the applications in the 1st place - there was war in the office that day.
    *Next was a trip to UCC for a lesson on the American way of life to listen to a girl who had no idea what she was talking about "Oh the Americans love coming up to Irish people and grabbing their cheeks saying you're so cute" - another wasted journey - more money down the drain.
    *Then there was the hassle of constant forms, emails, phone calls, their online system which messed up etc etc ...
    *You cannot book your flight yourself, you have to book through them, which works out more expensive.
    *They give you a US sim card as part of the package - had to buy a different one over there as the rates on theirs were so high.
    *Monthly surveys have to be emailed to them when you are over there and the computer IP address must be from near the address you gave them.
    There were other little annoying things but this is the cherry on the top...
    *Arrived at Newark airport to fly home only to be told the flight was only booked for one way, next flight was 2 days later and would be $1,500!! This led to panic, confusion and phone calls home. Turns out it was fault of Go4Less of course, got a code from them and thank God this worked.

Sorry to rant on but just to let ye know that yes the J1 is a great opportunity but expect headaches along the way - every student I spoke to about this has said the same and I will never, ever use this agency again.

Best of Luck with yours xx

Advertisement