Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaiman

• 18-11-2010 3:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

he belongs in here, right?

Ok so they butchered Stardust in the movie version, but it's still a brilliant book.

American Gods, I didn't love it but found myself missing the characters once it ended.

Fragile Things, as a collection of short stories it's infuriating because he just leaves you wanting so much more. you wish he'd developed these ideas into full stories.

Neverwhere, this is his masterpiece for me so far.

Anyone else a fan?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Got halfway through American Gods and got bored.

Have probably done him a disservice by not trying any more of his stuff, but as there's so much out there to read you only get one shot and you're at the back of the queue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I thought American Gods was excellent, though a bit of a slog in places. I guess my opinion of it was helped by the fact that I'd actually visited the House on the Hill a couple years beforehand, so was delighted to see it in the book. Also loved the whole old gods versus new gods thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Only read American Gods, was a little slow for my liking. I have Stardust, I might give it a go before the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

American Gods was original, exciting and I loved it.
    Anansi Boys turned the whole idea into a stupid unfunny joke.
    Probably won't read any more of his stuff now then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think the problem most people have with Gaimen is that they start with American Gods. It's a very different book from the rest of his stuff. It's an odd enough read in itself. Stardust and Neverwhere are great, Anansi Boys is alright. His short stories are very good. The Snow White one was vicious, and I remember a certain bad ass cat very well.
    The film of Stardust was a serious hack job alright. I'd recommend anyone to start their Gaimen there with the novel rather than American Gods which as I've already said is an oddity. I'll add that I thought it was good. Not great, although it had great moments. It just fizzled about too much I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

TBH I hadn't read a thing by him, other than The Sandman, before American Gods. American Gods was sort of what I was expecting whereas Anansi Boys certainly was not. Too Harry Potter for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Honestly he deserves another chance. read Neverwhere or fragile things(his short story compilation) and you'll be hooked. Neverwhere is incredible.

American Gods is so not like the rest of his work. it's an oddity for sure but badly in need of an editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I find Sandman much too, I don't know, teenaged. I suppose it's the whole moody goth type shtick. My Nirvana days are behind me. Life is good. I don't mind others opinions but I think those graphic novels were skewed very much for a younger market. I'm really seconding what David is saying though. He's well worth another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

I got so hooked on Sandman, an amazing read cant recommend them enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I was a bit disappointed by Neverwhere, to be honest. American Gods was good in places, but is too long and while I can't recall specifics, I didn't feel the ending fit well (could be pacing, tone, character, anything really - it's too long since I read it to recall) and Anansi Boys was just okay. I loved the Smoke and Mirrors short story collection of his though, and I rather like his Sandman graphic novels. Coraline wasn't a bad little movie too; I wouldn't mind reading the source novel some day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement