Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High street second hand bookshop

• 18-11-2010 6:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Is this closed down? every time I go down there the place is closed, I've been down there in the evening a few times and it's always closed or am I just going down at unlucky times?

Also, what other book shops are there in limerick besides easons downstairs, o'mahony's and the second hand bookshop in little catherine street?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I always find book bargains in the charity shops around the city. Often brand new books :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is a bookstore on Thomas street across from the Brown Thomas side entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The recycle place in Mungret/Dock Road last time I was there
    had a section where put books. It was neat as there were book shelves where
    people could put them, there was also a big Drum where people dumped unwanted CD's/DVD's

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I think he is only open from 10 - 4 each day, but if you ever do actually see it open I don't think you will revisit.
    The place looks like a bombsite, I don't think he's bought or sold a book in years and definitely has never cleaned or swept the place :eek:
    The charity shops are a good place to look for books, the usually have a fair selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Kess73 wrote: »
    There is a bookstore on Thomas street across from the Brown Thomas side entrance.

I was in there earlier its tiny more of a knick knack shop with a few popular thrillers on a table like in arthurs quay book stand.
    jimoc wrote: »
    I think he is only open from 10 - 4 each day, but if you ever do actually see it open I don't think you will revisit.
    The place looks like a bombsite, I don't think he's bought or sold a book in years and definitely has never cleaned or swept the place :eek:
    The charity shops are a good place to look for books, the usually have a fair selection.

so no different from usual then? anyone who's ever been in there before knows the squeeky voiced guy is about as sociable as stalin with a hangover but from what I've heard he still gets good stock rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Gneez wrote: »
    I was in there earlier its tiny more of a knick knack shop with a few popular thrillers on a table like in arthurs quay book stand.

so no different from usual then? anyone who's ever been in there before knows the squeeky voiced guy is about as sociable as stalin with a hangover but from what I've heard he still gets good stock rotation.

He can be haggled with though if you're clever. I used to bring PS2 games into him years ago, and whatever he'd offer me I'd ask for another 10 quid on top of it. It worked about 4 times out of 5 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Does anyone remember when his shop was in the other location? Near the where printing shop is now on high st.? I can still remember the musty smell from the old magazines...

Yeah and anytime you asked how much something was he would give you that disdainful look and say ''fifty peeeeeeeeee'' in the squeeky voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

It was open yesterday. Seems to have been closed for a couple of weeks but hopefully 'tis OK again.

Yeah after going down there twice a day for 3 days I finally found it open, didn't have any of the books I wanted though and the place was a mess just crap thrown everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Used to go there years ago when he sold computer games on Tape for the
    Amstrad CPC464 and 48k Spectrum :D

Used to buy a lot of the Firepower Magazines, Nam, Choose your own adventure and lots of sci-fi books, At the time he was the only place you could purchase "V" novels.

He used to use a Black Marker to cover over the original prices of the books
    which I always worried about as a teenager when I tried to sell him back the books I bought.

Years later saw some weird goings on, with the shop constantly closed,
    seeing the windows cracked or damaged a few times and for a while for some
    reason he kept posting either his Gas or ESB bills onto the inside of the shop windows where members of the public could see.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

There is also a second hand book shop on the street between Roches Street and Thomas Street where the entrance to the car park is ( goole maps tells me this is called Anne's Street :) )

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

He seems to have only a loose interpretation of current smoking regulations also. Bought a book there last saturday, he does seem to be closed a lot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

jonski wrote: »
    There is also a second hand book shop on the street between Roches Street and Thomas Street where the entrance to the car park is ( goole maps tells me this is called Anne's Street :) )

Often passed it but never been in to it, any good?

The bookshop on little Catherine st isn't bad, wish it was slightly better organised, could really do with culling some of his stock though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Often passed it but never been in to it, any good?

I was reading the Micheal Connolly and Robert Crais books and I got them all in there . It is small in there and I never really looked beyond what I was looking for myself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 kaislinn

Does anyone know if the place in High Street is still open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Just Saturdays now I think.

He opens when he feels like it by the looks of it!

Advertisement