Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite Cabling

• 18-11-2010 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

From my limited experience with satellite I'm just wondering am I better off bringing all the cables straight to the satellite or first to node 0 as ye call it and then to the satellite? I.E. My utility room.

At node 0 I'm probably going to have a media server for streaming movies over Cat 6.

I'm not sure yet if I'll also have Co-Ax cable for terrestrial.

I've heard from a few different people that you're better off having one straight run??

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

As the satellites are 24,000 miles away in space, you'll need a lot of cable!

Joints in cable are best avoided and keep the run as short as possible.

Plan ahead. Don't rush into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

:D

Ya trying not to rush it, so best thing to do would be to go straight to the attic I'm guessing? I mean having all the satellite cables go to the control room does nothing really?? Maybe just bring one down so I could put a signal into a computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭p15574

I'm not an expert, but if you have a quattro lnb then you'd need to bring them to a central point anyway. Also, if you wanted to merge with an analogue/dtt signal at node 0 you'd probably need a join anyway too.

You can get an 8 output lnb? Why do they need to go to a central point?

Also how would you merge with analogue??

Sorry for the questions I thought I'd just bring both satellite and analogue to each room?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    You can get an 8 output lnb? Why do they need to go to a central point?

Also how would you merge with analogue??

Sorry for the questions I thought I'd just bring both satellite and analogue to each room?

I have an octo lnb, which means I can have 8 individual tuners attached (with 2 used by pvrs), but if I was doing it again, I'd use a quattro, which would mean an unlimited no. of attached equipment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-noise_block_converter#Quattro_LNBs

Regarding the analogue/digital, if you're free to run extra cables for them, then that's probably better, I had the cables in place and so need to get all the signals down the one cable, so you use a diplexer at each end to join-split the sat/tv signals.
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/index.php?controller=product&path=21_25&product_id=47

I like it all merging in node zero, for things like being able to swap and change which feeds go where, kinda like a patch panel for tv.

• Advertisement

That looks like the way to go all right, so bring back 4 from the satelite in the attic to node 0 and then spread them out to whatever rooms you like from there?

Just wondering how much would the quattro + multiswitch + dish cost me?

Thanks for your time.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Just wondering how much would the quattro + multiswitch + dish cost me?

Sorry, no idea, you'd have to look that up. As they're used for apartment blocks etc, hopefully they don't charge a premium for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'd go with 5 cables to your hub, 4 for satellite and one for terrestrial. Once you have these in you have flexibility to do pretty much whatever you want. You could start with a quad lnb for four points or if you want more use a quattro lnb and multiswitch which will combine the terrestrial and satellite signals into one output. Use CAI approved coax like tx100 or similar, its only slighly mor expensive and is way better in terms of signal loss and unwanted signal rejection.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement