Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make soup more savoury

Options
  • 18-11-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

I made vegetable soup last night (onion, leek and broccoli) and chicken stock, and it was on the sweet side. I added a packet of minestrone and it's yummy but I would have preferred to stay away from the packets.

How do I get the same savouriness without the processed packets? I've looked up some minestrone recipes - would it just be a matter of replicating these and adding them to my homemade veg soup to get that savouriness I'm after? I HATE sweet tasting soup. I like it nice and oniony!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I would try a few of these things - lots of garlic, a pinch of cumin or chilli, or some chorizo ( unless you are vegetarian)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Don't use chicken stock! It's quite sweet.

Get some veggie stock instead. Some veg are naturally sweet, carrots, swedes, and should be used a bit sparingly if sweetness bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why not just make minestrone soup? There's no 'ultimate' recipe for minestrone - a few core ingredients & then lob in whatever veg you've got to hand.

Here's a good basic recipe - if you don't have risotto rice just add the pasta of your choice or leave it altogether.

Generally speaking, a pinch of salt will add a bit more 'savouriness' to any food. A splash of red wine vinegar or balsamic can also cut through any 'sweetness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Bacon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Why not just make minestrone soup? There's no 'ultimate' recipe for minestrone - a few core ingredients & then lob in whatever veg you've got to hand.

Here's a good basic recipe - if you don't have risotto rice just add the pasta of your choice or leave it altogether.

Generally speaking, a pinch of salt will add a bit more 'savouriness' to any food. A splash of red wine vinegar or balsamic can also cut through any 'sweetness'.

Thanks HB. What in that recipe gives it the savouriness though? I want to keep the veg soup because it's a great way for me to get extra veggies into my diet, but I love the flavour of the packet minestrone soup. If I could recreate that with the natural ingredients all the better - which ones would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

how about adding some worcestershire sauce

Advertisement