Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does your dog sleep?

• 18-11-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

We've had the "on bed" thread and the "outdoors dog" thread, so let's count some numbers - where does your dog spend the night?

Where does your dog sleep? 127 votes

Outdoors somewhere - wherever it can find shelter.
    0% 0 votes
    Outdoors kennel/garage/shed/outhouse.
    0% 1 vote
    In the house - kitchen/hall/utility etc
    15% 20 votes
    In our bedroom
    72% 92 votes
    In/on our bed.
    11% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

We have an outdoor kennel for our dogs, but that is just for shelter when they are out during the day.
    They are short-haired dogs so sleep beside the radiator in the downstairs loo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Up to this week they've been in the garden, but we've had to move them inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

For the last few months ours slept outside in their cosy kennel when the weather was warm and fine but now that its raining, cold etc they sleep inside so I suppose my answer is 50-50 but I voted for outside

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ours sleeps in the hall way between our kitchen and living room. She slept in our room for a while but she had to go to teh hall because she was up at 4 in d morn hopping on the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Mine used to sleep in his warm and insulated kennel outside but since the cold spell in December/January, he's been sleeping inside. When I remember to close the doors downstairs, he's happy sleeping on the couch in the living room. Otherwise, he makes his way upstairs to the bed but I think it gets too warm for him as he usually only stays on the bed for an hour and then makes his way to my daughter's bed for a while and eventually settles on her bedroom floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

My two sleep outside in their kennel, which is right at the back wall of the house.
    They literally go outside just before I go to bed. All I have to say is 'toilet' or 'bed time' and they're up and out. They have a wee and then run straight into their kennel. They never cry or whine when I shut the door and this morning I was a bit earlier letting them out than usual and I woke them up when I opened the patio doors!

For the last few weeks, I've been bringing one of their blankets in and hanging it on the rad during the day so it's warm when I put them out.

We have been talking about bringing them in and I'd say if the weather gets much colder we probably will.
    If i felt that they were unhappy out there at all, I'd bring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Ours started in an insulated kennel outside, but as the weather last year got colder she started sleeping on the landing, she tried for a while to come into the bedroom, but that's a no no. These days we can leave the door open and she's happy in her bed or lying on the carpet on the landing. She does occasionally come in, come round to my side, jump up give me a little lick and and head on back to the landing :-) Just saying hello and I'm checking up on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

There was always dogs around at home and there was never a dog in the house. Personaly I could think of nothing more disgusting and revolting than allowing a dog to sleep in your bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

My two sleep in the kitchen but sometimes when my BF is away with work they come to bed with me, so warm and snuggly. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My old lab slept outside in the stables where he was happiest. My Westie sleeps in my bed ever since I woke up at 4am to find a man standing over my bed shining a torch in my face. He was a bit worse for wear and thought he was doing me a favour (by breaking in to bring me a crate of cider!) I rarely even drink :rolleyes: It was mildly amusing the next morning but not something I ever want to experience again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

2 in the bed, one in the kitchen. only cos that is where she is happiest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

in their baskets by the rad in the bedroom. We were told that dogs dont like to soil where they live, and so they would signal when they needed to go outside. It meant being alert in the middle of the night (and sometimes being in the garden freezing in the early hours, doing the encouraging thing!) but they very quickly got used to our pattern of rising, and of course the habit of sleeping in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

When it is mild or I'm not there they are outside, bad weather and when I'm home they are inside :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In his crate in the kitchen, or if the fire in the sitting room is lit we leave him on the couch to take advantage of the dying coals. It's amazing how small he can make himself seem when he's trying to go unnoticed on the couch. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

During summer ours sleeps in her kennel in the garden, or on her bed in the middle of the garden, or on the gravel where she can do her "They beat me and make me sleep on gravel" eyes (when there's a perfectly good bed and kennel beside her!) to anyone passing by.

When it's cold like now she sleeps in the bathroom with the cat, it's a big bathroom and they have a ball in there. It's handy too because when the cat is in there on his own he meows and scratches the door from 8am every day, when she's in there with him he stays quiet :)

And when one of us is alone in the house for the night she sleeps in the bedroom, generally taking over the missing person's side of the bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If you're to argue that it's unhygenic to share your bed with a dog, then what's the difference between sharing it with another person?

My dog is groomed daily, doesn't have fleas etc. and I wouldn't leave her up on my bed unless she's dry and clean. I put an extra bedspread over the bed that I can pop in the launderette and I drape clean towels over that (and another blanket over my dog, lol.)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

You obviously haven't met my dog or you'ld know he sleeps wherever he wants.

Joking aside, our dog used to sleep inside in the living room by the fire or on the couch. When he started to get very sick we brought him up to sleep in his bed in our room and eventually he slept on the bed (we put a throw over the duvet) - moreso that we could check on him during the night.

Is there really any one definitive answer for this? When he was younger he sometimes decided he wanted to stay out all night during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mine sleeps in his crate which is in the kitchen. Occasionally, he does sneak up to our bed, and the hubby's too soft to move him!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

In his bed in the kitchen :D I have to go get him a new one soon as he is after eating through it :rolleyes:

Our two sleep in their bed in the room off the kitchen... sort of a mini sitting room with bits and pieces. Sometimes they sleep in either of our beds, though the little munchkin is a bit restless when he's up here so I don't let him up often, only in the evening before bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My 4 sleep in the sitting room. Sometimes Jazz will come up to my bed and every now and then Minnie will sleep with my dad. Boe is too restless to sleep with me, and there is no way the other Jack will leave her bed once she's comfy :D

Jazz used to sleep with me all the time but since I moved home she's happy sleeping downstairs with the others. I miss her :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Mine sleep in an insulated heated shed outside, they have bunkbeds so they pile in together. I put them in there for an hour or so after a wet walk with the super ser on to dry them out. They have a dog flap in the shed door so they can go in and out as they please. When we're in the house then they're in the house but if we're not there or at night they're outside.

During the summer we leave the back door open when we're there but if the weather is in anyway good they'd rather be sunbathing and everyonce in a while stick their heads in the door to make sure we're still there and head back out to chill out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They sound like very happy dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

kitchen in their baskets laden with blankets.

two house dogs.. out and out house dogs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

There was always dogs around at home and there was never a dog in the house. Personaly I could think of nothing more disgusting and revolting than allowing a dog to sleep in your bed.

reallly??.... i can think of something....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Our house is pretty small, so I leave the kitchen door open at night so she can sleep in her bed there. Or she has a chair infront of the sitting room window (so she can look out and/or catch flies) that she sometimes sleeps in. For security too, I think it's good so she has access to both the front & back of the house in case someone decides to have a look in the window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

thebullkf wrote: »
    reallly??.... i can think of something....

haha that's exactly what I thought when I read that line too. Really - nothing more disgusting?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mrjacko

I agree with boomerang.
    My dogs are cleaner than alot of people i know and im happy to have them in my bed.
    I have 2 small dogs in my bed and one very big dog in the kitchen to scare off intruders and unwanted visitors at night .
    I wouldnt leave my child outside at night so i wouldnt do it to my dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

mrjacko wrote: »
    I wouldnt leave my child outside at night so i wouldnt do it to my dogs.

I wouldn't feed my child dog food or walk them with a collar and leash either but I do that with my dog. People and dogs are different, as long as the dog has warmth and shelther and isn't ignored from one end of the day to the next then outside is fine for them if that's what their owners choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

My girl sleeps downstairs, in her crate she's only eight months old. I'm going to decrate her as soon as she's ten months and then she'll sleep in the hall in her bed.

If she could choose she'd sleep between my husband and I in our bed though :D

Advertisement