Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things You Love About Wexford......

Options
  • 18-11-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

I saw this over in the waterford forum and thought i was a really great idea. Seemed to cheer people up a bit.

I'll start things off:

Sittin in the car at the hook on a windy day.
    Fishing at Slade
    Learning to drive on Duncannon beach
    The Heritege park (really is a great day out)
    Booley Bay on a warm summer's day
    Walking over south street in Ross on christmas eve bumping into friends
    Chips from The Penguin on a saturday

That's just a few lets keep the ball rolling and try to promote our beautiful county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

reading in the junior cert history book
    The English landed at Dublin, and had no difficulty in subduing it. They headed south, with Wicklow and Carlow providing no difficulty. But Wexford was a different story....

When the teacher read that, it was the first time everyone the class shut up, looked around an nodding in satisfaction that our forefathers were tough B*****ds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Still being proud of our All Ireland win in '96.

Telling people from the Wesht that you're from the Sunny South East and it's like living in Spain.:)

Having some of the best beaches in the country on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

The Beaches...
    Went for a walk on Blackhall Strand, down near Bannow at the weekend. Never there before, what a beautiful place....lovely sunny day as well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

2 of the happiest days in my life happened in Wexford, 11/7/88 and 28/4/92. Nothing has come close since.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

fort mountain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's so near Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The camaderie when meeting other people from Wexford in Dublin (Coppers, Quinns, etc) or elsewhere in the country
    The room-silencing renditions of Boolavogue, Cuchalainns Son, Purple and Gold at dinner-dances, weddings etc....
    Walks down the Wexford Prom on a summers day (being from Gorey it's a rare joy for me)
    My local beaches on a summers day
    The sense of community in Gorey during Christmas or St.Patrick's Day
    The sense of relief of seeing the "Welcome to Wexford" sign after a long journey home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Oh yeah and our proud history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

not having to go through Gorey anymore. . . . . . . . . . . . :p

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Ledger wrote: »
    not having to go through Gorey anymore. . . . . . . . . . . . :p

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

wine
    the rolling stones
    ernest hemingway
    man utd
    Shameless
    thegoalposts.com
    secularism
    some more wine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

B-Young (sp) and book shop also. Not in wexford often so thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

As a more than frequent visitor for 25 years-

Watching the ferries docking at Rosslare.
    Getting the bejaysus blown out of you at Kilmore Quay on an Autumns day.
    The coast appearing as you come down the Ferrycarrig hill
    Some of the best weather in the land,seriously!
    Have a great Tesco Extra,but now we have our own.
    Great genuine friendly people :D

Thats only a few,it's late ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bin laden

The road out of it, preferably the one going back to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bin laden wrote: »

Bye bye,miss you already-not.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

What a nice contribution,well done :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Willam Barker

The as my wife said, 'ridiculously pretty countryside' green fields, rolling hils with the Blackstairs off in the background.

The Slaney Valley on the road to Bunclody or down around Killurin, Bellvue.

Climbing Vinegar Hill on the 21st of June or there abouts and literally feeling the history and knowing my forefathers once stood on this and other hills across Wexford and fought for the freedom of their families and their country.

The Hook Head, the little almost private coves and beaches, the rocks around the lighthouse, the sense of walking in an ancient place and seeing where the English first landed and asking 'what if'

The beaches which seem to go on forever, preferably in the evening or winter time.

Summer evenings walking or driving along the country roads and the world just seeming 'right'

The ripening of the corn and the golden landscape, magic.

The Stawberry sellers and Strawberries themselves.

Our history, especially 1798, a people united 'a risen people' and feeling part of it, knowing its part of who I am.

The purple and gold, just seeing it fly or on a jersey, especially in Dublin

Wexford Hurling, the image of a great man like Nicky Rackard literally carrying a county from obscurity and into the hearts of nearly every person in Ireland. A pride that we are still standard bearers for the greatest game, with its 2000 year history, know to man.

Genuine people, gentle people.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

walking down the main street at night... shops closed but street lights on ... walking past the bull ring and looking at the pikeman .... popping into mackens and sitting in the window with a pint of guinness and watching the world go by after a hard days work ...

driving along the coastline from the heritage park towards glynn barntown...beautiful stretch of road and scenery...trees overlapping the road on one side..the river flowing quietly on the other and the mountainous hills and forest the other side of the river rounded off with a historic castle at ferrycarrig...

the forest in the raven in summer, walking along in your shorts ands t shirt and then along the sandy coastline in curracloe beach.. has to be one of the most beautiful in the world.... to watch horses running by and people walking their dogs, people relaxing and playing ...some just soaking up the sun or reading...

driving past devereux's at night and seeing the friary in front of you..with its brilliant architecture like somthing from a movie... down the small side street past rowe street church and knowing the opera house is hidden away on that small unassuming streetway....

going to the sky and the ground for pints on monday, a trad session and listening to the old people sing song , complete silence and respect for it and then into the premier for a kiddy box or a rissole...

and most of all... just the people in general... no bull****, no levels of self importance , a friendly warm howaya hun walking down the street or a "yuuuuuuuuuuuup" from one of the boys .... aaahhhh wexford....

i have the pleasure of livin on the quay and in the morning time you see the sun rise, the orange pink and yellow sky beams down on the fishing boats and glistens along the pier ... and in the distance the raven point... i wouldnt swop it for the world !

and to echo the previous post... to see the Hurlers doing well and hearing the purple and gold sung still stirs pride and emotion whenever i hear it... a small place, a small population but we've had a massive impact on the world...

JFK,JOHN BARRY,... Big Jem Roche Heavyweight Boxer, actors,writers musicians.... hell even Ned Kelly (famous outlaw) had wexford roots ...an industrious people indeed....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Willam Barker

Forgot to mention the fact that we have the greatest county songs in Ireland:
    Boolavogue
    Boys of Wexford
    Kelly the Boy from Killane

and of course the best GAA song ever....'Dancing at the Crossroads' supporters the length and breadth of Ireland envy us these riches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Forgot to mention the fact that we have the greatest county songs in Ireland:
    Boolavogue
    Boys of Wexford
    Kelly the Boy from Killane

and of course the best GAA song ever....'Dancing at the Crossroads' supporters the length and breadth of Ireland envy us these riches...

You forgot to mention the comely maidens dancing at the crossroads. :rolleyes: By the way in an historical context you have an interesting username - is it your real name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

JFK,JOHN BARRY,... Big Jem Roche Heavyweight Boxer, actors,writers musicians.... hell even Ned Kelly (famous outlaw) had wexford roots ...an industrious people indeed....

Great post, well written and a lot of my own experiences in there.

On the famous people bit, remember being told that Buffalo Bills father was born and reared in King St.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

mcgarrett wrote: »

On the famous people bit, remember being told that Buffalo Bills father was born and reared in King St.

heard that recently - anyone got any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

mcgarrett wrote: »

Buffalo Bill has no connection with wexford.

i also heard the Vigelante based on Zorro was meant to be from rocklands ! hahaha ... sounds ridiculous doesnt it ? :) who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Buffalo Bill has no connection with wexford.

So no chance his Da played with the harriers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

**** URSELF!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

A typical Weekender Dubshie. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Stores, thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Wexford town seems grand enough I suppose... anywhere else is shocking and under developed....

But that's not the topic so I'll shush!

• Advertisement

im sure whoever wrote "the road to dublin" is probably young 18-25 and has an identity crisis! thinks being in dublin is cool and trendy and doesnt see any goodness in wexford. If its that persons native county or evne worse town he should be ashamed of himself...but somthing which i guess he may discover as he or she gets older....

no doubt he is up in dublin speaking with a dublin twang, visiting the local trendy bars and talking smack about how its great "up in the blaydin sccchmoke maaan".

well the truth is pal..nobody will accept you up in dublin.. your always ging to be a culchie and thats even including a full blown migration to a thick inner city dublin accent... you see the real story is youll be from wexford all your life and it will make you look like an even bigger tit to both them and wexicans ... so youll be caught between being a dublin wannabe in dublin and just another idiot with an identity crisis in wexford who had no respect for where he was from and lived a lie all his/her life !

of course you could be just a random poster and trying to wind everybody up or is actually from dublin and moved to wexford under circumstances beyond your control and is actually a native of the pale which means my post on you specifically is irrelevant!

anyway wexford town is a great place, great people and we have the best of everything.... you want shopping we got it, you wanna go out to good pubs and clubs we got it...you want sandy beaches we got it, you want the best of nature, we got it, best opera house in ireland? we got it!!! ...... dublin is only 1hr 20mins up the road now,cork 2 hours, ferry at rosslare to europe or Britain for a change of scenery and we have rissoles and maggie hurley so if you dont like it we dont want your likes here anyway ! BYE BYE !

Advertisement