Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iodine in the Galway air

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Strange question but does anyone know if the sea breezes here contain iodine?

I know in the Baltic states (Poland, Lithuania, etc) that people go to the coasts to soak in the iodine rich air. Someone told me that the Atlantic air does not contain any.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No. In fact, there's such an iodine deficiency in the population that the government distributed iodine tablets to every household in the country to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Weird! I'll have to increase my fish intake. :)

Have to look up the science as to why the Baltic has iodine and the Atlantic doesn't...

Actually, tbh, everything I said above was a lie. I've certainly never heard of there ever being any iodine in the air though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No. In fact, there's such an iodine deficiency in the population that the government distributed iodine tablets to every household in the country to make up for it.

but only if there was a nuclear explosion somewhere ninja.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Iodine tablets were prescribed as a nuclear fallout protection ...in 2001, because a gob****e FF minister thought Al Quaida were going to go nuclear on us so he promised very household would get iodine tablets for such an emergency. Bertie then made it so.

God I miss Bertie, he knew how to spend money like there is no tomorrow ...emmmmm ummm oops .

It had nothing to do with a nutritional deficiency of any sort :)

• Advertisement

LIES! :P OK Galway air should contain iodine, and our cows are full of it!

The oceans are the most important source of natural iodine in the air, water, and soil. Iodine in the oceans enters the air from sea spray or as iodine gases. Once in the air, iodine can combine with water or with particles in the air and can enter the soil and surface water, or land on vegetation when these particles fall to the ground or when it rains. Iodine can remain in soil for a long time because it combines with organic material in the soil. It can also be taken up by plants that grow in the soil. Cows or other animals that eat these plants will take up the iodine in the plants. Iodine that enters surface water can reenter the air as iodine gases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There is iodine in many sea vegetables and seaweed for sure, including those from the Atlantic.
    It's not possible that you are getting some facts mixed re iodine vs IONS is it? Sea air releases negative ions, and that is thought to be very beneficial to health. Salt is often iodised now, so iodine deficiency is not as common.

In Poland for example people in the mountain regions near the Czech Republic/Slovakia have a lot of thyroid diseases due to the lack of iodine in their diets. They usually head up to the coast for vacations to soak in iodine or go to "salt caves" (literally rooms full of sea salt) to get a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Think that the government distributed iodine was in the case of radiation posioning from nuclear

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

What?? I thought it was a free berocca tablet to go with my free cheese and free stamp! :eek:

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It had nothing to do with a nutritional deficiency of any sort :)
    cuculainn wrote: »
    Think that the government distributed iodine was in the case of radiation posioning from nuclear
    everything I said above was a lie.

;)

Advertisement