Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times letters - Most cyclists are malicious

• 18-11-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

A light on cyclists' dark deeds

• Madam, – Paul Flynn (November 17th) believes there should be strict rules of the road for cyclists; he will be as surprised as most cyclists to learn that there are. They generally go unenforced because cyclists do not carry identifying number plates like other road users.
      In the past, I have, through the good graces of your Letters page, asked that bicycle plates be introduced, since few gardaí* have the time to chase, apprehend and identify a cyclist for ignoring a red light. I ask again because the menace of these people is now arriving at the point where it can no longer be ignored. It is far past time it was acknowledged that most cyclists are malicious. They will deliberately go out of their way to obstruct other road users and it is clear that they will continue to do so for as long as they’re allowed to get away with it. Since the solution is a bare minimum of legislation, and would be self-financing through fines sent in the post on foot of CCTV coverage, why are we not doing it? – Yours, etc,
      DAVID SMITH,
      Harmonstown Road,
      Artane, Dublin 5.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

justo wrote: »
    In the past, I have, through the good graces of your Letters page, asked that bicycle plates be introduced

I HAS WROTE LETTER, WHY YOU NO MAKE LAW?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have no problem with bikes needing plates, so long as pedestrians have them to so I can quickly ID and report the scumbag who abused me at the Luas stop the other day or the wagon with the buggy who nearly ran me down
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Will they be made of carbon?

If so i approve. Sure it'll be like MTB racing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Kill all cyclists. That will sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

The state of our country and what has happened during the last 4 days .and we get a .....ead looking for number plates for bikes :mad:,sums it up maybe we do need help:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

there is a minority of idiot cyclists that give you all a bad reputation amongst pedestrians and motorists, would you not be onboard with something that weeds them out?

djk1000 wrote: »
    there is a minority of idiot cyclists that give you all a bad reputation amongst pedestrians and motorists, would you not be onboard with something that weeds them out?

Were that idea to be something workable and sensible that does not make our lives more complicated, expensive, and dorky, then this might receive support.

Number plates on bikes does not meet that criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Provided that it does not result in ridiculous and unnecessary restrictions on the rest of us.

Likewise, there is an idiot minority of pedestrians who give all pedestrians a bad reputation. Would you be in favour of everyone having to wear a high-vis vest while walking beside a public road (on the path or hard shoulder), or perhaps having to carry a torch?

The actual problem is that the laws are there, they're just not being enforced. They're not difficult to enforce, they're not difficult to prosecute, they are simply not being enforced.

You can add all the laws and requirements you like - they'll simly be additions to the list of laws that cyclists will ignore because they're not being enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

His house should be easy enough to find, shall we all go hang around outside it, looking menacing with jersey collars sticking up while we all click our fingers in time to some cool jazz ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

"there is a minority of idiot cyclists that give you all a bad reputation amongst pedestrians and motorists, would you not be onboard with something that weeds them out?"

Come on, let's get real.

Regarding road safety initiatives lets focus on the big ticket items 1st.
    Excessive speed on inadequate roads combined with lack of driving skills and illegal use of mobile phones.

Despite the threat of penalty points I still see many drivers using their mobile phone but IMO it is the truck driver using the phone that has the potential for more serious damage.

The Gardai are already enforcing rules of the road on Cyclists around Dublin. A little more concerted effort, combined with education (not just a fine) would be in order. Then after a period of time (surely we should already know ;)) cyclists cannot claim that they did not know it was illegal to run a red-light, mount pavements etc.

The problem, as raised on numerous other postings, kicks in when the Gardai are unable to apply a common-sense interpretation of the law. (For example, not using a cycle lane when one available, may be safer to all road & footpath users).

Car drivers need to consider the impact on the traffic flow if all these commuting cyclists were using a car to commute rather than bikes.

Letters, such as the one referenced, clearly show that road-rage does not stop when the driver steps out of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Why does the thread title read "All cyclists are malicious" whereas the quoted letter reads:
    most cyclists are malicious.
    Shouldn't a distinction be made between all versus most?

billy.fish wrote: »
    Will they be made of carbon?

If so i approve. Sure it'll be like MTB racing.
    thumbnail.aspx?q=292996854333&id=ec72ecc18f3bb43ef3c6823e739a9916&url=http%3a%2f%2f1.bp.blogspot.com%2f_KlO4cQbTE-I%2fTBOchqutrfI%2fAAAAAAAABTA%2fPf0vnKK6-i0%2fs1600%2fIMG_0228.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Like the speeders, drink drivers, red light jumpers, mobile phone using, members of the motoring community?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

Forcing cyclists to have number plates will ensure that they will follow the rules of the road and become exemplary members of society! We just need to look to our four-wheeled brethren as proof - they have number plates and their behaviour on the roads is beyond reproach! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Since the solution is a bare minimum of legislation, and would be self-financing through fines sent in the post on foot of CCTV coverage, why are we not doing it?

I have worked in areas relating to vehicle 'birth certs', the National Vehicle File, changes of vehicle ownership, end of life vehicles, on-the-spot fines, traffic cameras and penalty points. The statement above is the most simplistic, ill-informed nonsense imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

when i see twats like this i tend to agree. i'd hate cyclists too if this bunch came near me .. mind you, i think there's no harm in taking the law in to your own hands in some situations. think i would have clothes lined one of f***ers if they passed me. i even found myself sympathizing with the taxi near the end. now thats a first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Post fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Lumen wrote: »
    Were that idea to be something workable and sensible that does not make our lives more complicated, expensive, and dorky, then this might receive support.
    ...yes, something as simple as obeying the Rules of the Road maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

The correct link to the clip is - http://www.youtube.com/v/HLzGj10fg2g?fs=1&hl=en_US

Forget about the laws broken, just focus on how many times they nearly get creamed between buses (no loss there), or nearly take out multiple pedestrians.

Complete shower of tossers. If they want thrills, get out in the hills and put some real skill to the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm writing to the Irish Times to complain about them publishing letters like this - why can't they save them for Fridays- now my whole sense of time has been thrown out.

As for the problem highlighted by writer, I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need this guy and this guy to deal with the problem of "those people"!

Unfortunately this guy is dead so we can't get him, but the other two should be able to sort it out in Dublin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davearthurs

I'd imagine this is more than just a member of the public throwing out wacky ideas. Probably linked to the Council or something.

they have a test numberplate scheme in Mayo

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cyclists-saddled-with-number-plates-2219654.html

So i'd imagine this is a plan Dublin City Council are planning to try and scam some money out of cyclists.

Despite the fact that all the cycle lanes are ****e, and the money they are pumping into a cycle lane along the canal at the moment will never be used as it is on a route no one goes on anyway and the road was plenty wide as it was.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Madam, – Paul Flynn (November 17th) believes there should be strict rules of the road for cyclists; he will be as surprised as most cyclists to learn that there are. They generally go unenforced because cyclists do not carry identifying number plates like other road users.
      In the past, I have, through the good graces of your Letters page, asked that bicycle plates be introduced, since few gardaí* have the time to chase, apprehend and identify a cyclist for ignoring a red light. I ask again because the menace of these people is now arriving at the point where it can no longer be ignored. It is far past time it was acknowledged that most cyclists are malicious. They will deliberately go out of their way to obstruct other road users and it is clear that they will continue to do so for as long as they’re allowed to get away with it. Since the solution is a bare minimum of legislation, and would be self-financing through fines sent in the post on foot of CCTV coverage, why are we not doing it? – Yours, etc,
      DAVID SMITH,
      Harmonstown Road,
      Artane, Dublin 5.

I've fixed that letter for you. :pac:

Madam, – Paul Flynn (November 17th) believes there should be strict rules of the road for pedestrians, he will be as surprised as most pedestrians to learn that there are. They generally go unenforced because pedestrians do not carry massove identifying number plates on their backs.
    In the past, I have, through the good graces of your Letters page, asked that pedestrians plates be introduced, since few gardaí* have the time to chase, apprehend and identify a pedestrians for ignoring a red light, jay walking or any other crime. I ask again because the menace of these people is now arriving at the point where it can no longer be ignored. It is far past time it was acknowledged that most pedestrians are malicious. They will deliberately go out of their way to obstruct other road users by crossing the road or even stealing in shops and then running away and it is clear that they will continue to do so for as long as they’re allowed to get away with it. Since the solution is a bare minimum of legislation, and would be self-financing through fines sent in the post on foot of CCTV coverage, why are we not doing it? – Yours, etc,
    DAVID SMITH,
    Harmonstown Road,
    Artane, Dublin 5.

...yes, something as simple as obeying the Rules of the Road maybe?

That's the end, not the means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The number plate idea is funny :)

I can imagine ringing the guards. 'I just saw a guy running a light. He was on a blue dublin bike, reg xx D xxx'.

It should narrow the culprit down to about 20,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

reminds me of the law in Colombia where motorcyclists have to wear a vest with their license plate number or something as so many assassinations were carried out on motorbike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

mahoo wrote: »
    when i see twats like this i tend to agree. i'd hate cyclists too if this bunch came near me .. mind you, i think there's no harm in taking the law in to your own hands in some situations. think i would have clothes lined one of f***ers if they passed me. i even found myself sympathizing with the taxi near the end. now thats a first!

I'm watching it now, and so far the closest they've come to hitting a ped is at 2:31 when one "jaywalks" across the front of a bus.

Hmmm, maybe there's a lowest common denominator in every mode of transport and it's pointless in using them to prove a general point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That guy needs a Girlfriend or a wife. Holy ****, like who the **** has the time these days to be writing in repeatedly to a letters page about cyclists? and to be dillusional enough to think that its gunna matter.
    LIke does he honestley have nothing better to do? While I think the shower that are in power now are idiots, I shudder to think that when people like david smith open their mouths with suggestions, Mr Smith makes Mr. cowen look competant. There are some Gob****es in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

He thinks cyclists deliberately go out of their way to obstruct other road-users? Out of their way? I have never seen that. What is he talking about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

These are manditory in Switzerland (I never got one though :))
    vignette~s600x600.jpg

It's a sticker you stick onto your seat post or carrier etc...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbRMOQ_yp_pWDVxKhuOQxfTccZg-9tP23OARp0M6ETN1fiuL2A The 10 is the year, it has to be bought each year.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Given his apparent outrage at cyclists I'm surprised he stopped at demanding license plates. Where are his calls for mandatory hi-viz vests, mandatory bicycle helmets (nailed to your head, in case you decide to try and remove it), mandatory bells, lights surgically inserted into the forehead, knees, ankles, and elbows, etc. etc.? The quality of moronic letters to the Irish Times seems to have deteriorated recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

doozerie wrote: »
    The quality of moronic letters to the Irish Times seems to have deteriorated recently.

On the contrary, the delightful Mr Smith has been gracing the letters pages of the paper of record for quite some time. I found this particularly charming epistle penned back in 2001: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2001/0510/01051000105.html
    Sir, - It is rare for me to agree with Mary Holland on anything, but as a Dublin Bus driver I have to give her three cheers for her excellent piece (Opinion, April 26th) on the attitude of cyclists in this city. No cheers, however, for John Gorman and his somewhat laboured "peace process" analogy; in fact, if I had my way the politics I would favour regarding cyclists would be those of apartheid.

As any of my colleagues will attest, cyclists are the scourge of the city. The presence of a single bicycle in a bus lane renders it completely useless, and what is all the more frustrating to bus drivers is that while most bus lanes have cycle tracks running beside them, cyclists nakedly (and illegally) refuse to use them. The situation was bad enough when I was driving an ordinary vehicle, but these days I drive a 60-foot articulated "bendy bus". Twice in the past fortnight passengers leaving the bus have been struck by cyclists forcing their way up the inside at stops. Bringing the vehicle around a corner is a nightmare because, regardless of how close the trailer comes to the kerb, you are guaranteed to find some cretin trying to pass between the bus and the path.

The complete disregard shown by cyclists for the rules of the road is simply scandalous. Traffic lights are a joke, oneway systems an imposition. Other drivers are expected to adjust themselves and their vehicles around the cyclist and any complaint will either be ignored or (in the case of couriers) be met with a round of abuse. Unfortunately, this is not the attitude of a tiny minority; the minority are the ones who act responsibly. For the rest it's a case of: "Get out of my way, I'm a cyclist." - Yours, etc.,

David Smith, Harmonsown Road, Artane, Dublin 5

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

These are manditory in Switzerland (I never got one though :))
    vignette~s600x600.jpg

It's a sticker you stick onto your seat post or carrier etc...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbRMOQ_yp_pWDVxKhuOQxfTccZg-9tP23OARp0M6ETN1fiuL2A The 10 is the year, it has to be bought each year.

So the largest number a motorist has ANY chance of seeing is just the year and the number that needs to be taken down is tiny....so they are next to useless yeah? :pac:

dited wrote: »
    On the contrary, the delightful Mr Smith has been gracing the letters pages of the paper of record for quite some time. I found this particularly charming epistle penned back in 2001: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2001/0510/01051000105.html

Can't be hard to track him down, just how many "bendy" buses exist in Dublin? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Is this @Eggball?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60033962&postcount=1
    Eggball wrote: »
    I'm a driver from Harristown depot

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62413816#post62413816
    Eggball wrote: »
    Unfortunately, most cyclists are nasty and malicious people...

If so, he's held this grudge for quite some time (2001?!?), and Dublin Bus should get him some counselling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The Swiss licence plates would not satisfy the letter writer. They are not big enough to be identified on CCTV. If we did end up with licences large enough to be read by CCTV we'd need to install lots of "red light" cameras to catch people. I'm sure motorists would be fully behind that. :rolleyes:

I actually find myself kind of in favour of that type of licence. However the number of posts over on Commutting and Transport that break down to "I was caught without a ticket on the Train/Bus/Luas, I gave a false name and address, is there any chance I could be caught" have made me think it might be time we just adopted mandatory ID cards like lots of European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cabaal wrote: »
    So the largest number a motorist has ANY chance of seeing is just the year and the number that needs to be taken down is tiny....so they are next to useless yeah? :pac:
    It's actually a tax disc, levied to pay for mandatory 3rd party liability insurance for cyclists.

It's a Swiss oddity - it costs €4(ish) for the year, covering you for up to (roughly) €1.5 million in third-party damages. However, the number of claims is apparently extremely low (less than 0.3% of all claims) and it costs more to print and distribute the stickers than the scheme brings in.

The stickers themselves are of limited use for identifying people - as I understand it, you can just wander into a post office and buy one without giving any details. I may be wrong though.

• ..........., why are we not doing it? – Yours, etc,
      DAVID SMITH,
      Harmonstown Road,
      Artane, Dublin 5.

:confused::confused: Something doesn't add up here - he's living in Harmonstown and reading the Irish Times???? Surely those two things should be mutually exclusive.......

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can't be hard to track him down, just how many "bendy" buses exist in Dublin? :)

20 DB plus all the airport ones.

20 DB plus all the airport ones.

That was 2001 - so he might be driving something else now, but the fact he's a bus driver makes it more suspicious - goes to show how standards are slipping if the Irish Times readership now includes bus drivers living on DNS!

In fairness to him though, anyone trying to nip up the inside of a vehicle esp a large one like a squishy bus needs their heads shaken out!

Jawgap wrote: »
    That was 2001 - so he might be driving something else now,

probably, over half of them have been withdrawn with the rest to follow soon. I'm sure one of the many drivers that post on C&T are familiar with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Jawgap wrote: »
    the Irish Times readership now includes bus drivers living on DNS!

As a northsider, I have to order mine specially through my local newagent. He says "here comes brainbox" when I come in to collect it. I fake embarrassment and joke about us being the only two people in the shop not wearing pajamas. It's a little thing we have going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I read with interest that he is a DB driver. If so it is highly likely that it is me he is referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Idleater wrote: »
    I read with interest that he is a DB driver. If so it is highly likely that it is me he is referring to.
    Are you notorious for obstructing bus drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

He's also a bit of a letter writer and seems to be a little right wing. People really should be more careful about what details they leave about themselves online. Holes in the theory of globalisation article actually has his full details in it. He also doesn't like anything or anyone who criticizes Dublin bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Hail to the bus driver,
    Bus driver!
    Bus driver!
    Hail to the bus driver,
    Bus driver man.

As a northsider, I have to order mine specially through my local newagent. He says "here comes brainbox" when I come in to collect it. I fake embarrassment and joke about us being the only two people in the shop not wearing pajamas. It's a little thing we have going on.

Yes, as a fellow northsider who grew up not a million miles away from Artane, I usually get the newsagent to wrap my copy of the Irish Times in a few porn magazines so I'm not seen carrying it in public.

[sigh] I suppose, anyway, if bus drivers are now reading it, the time must be nigh when it too will go "tabloid" in format, considering it's well on its way to being that in spirit......

......would never have happened in Major McDowell's day......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Are you notorious for obstructing bus drivers?

Deliberately going out of his way to do so. I can imagine cyclists seeing a bus in another lane, or across the street and making a crazy beeline for it, ignoring all traffic lights, one-way streets, etc, in order to creep along in it's path, probably going in the opposite direction to your actual destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Malari wrote: »
    Deliberately going out of his way to do so. I can imagine cyclists seeing a bus in another lane, or across the street and making a crazy beeline for it, ignoring all traffic lights, one-way streets, etc, in order to creep along in it's path, probably going in the opposite direction to your actual destination.

No, I'm sure I "blocked" him last week for maybe 50 meters after a set of lights before a bus stop. There couldn't be more than one DB driver that gets irate at cyclists in his way could there? Hence why I presumed he was directing his letter at me via the national press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Re Irish Times 'Letters' - bit early for the first cuckoo, isn't it ? :pac:

Little Tony sat on the bus behind the driver starts shouting " If my daddy was an elephant & my mommy was an elephant, i'd be a baby elephant", the bus driver is getting angry, Tony starts shouting again " if my daddy was a tiger & my mommy was a tiger , i'd be a baby tiger".
    The bus driver is really pis-e2d off now and says to the little Tony " if your daddy was a drunk & your mommy was a prostitute, what would you be? " little Tony replies "a bus driver":D
    Thought this brilliant so said id share it lol

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement