Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times letters - Most cyclists are malicious

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Jawgap wrote: »
    It does, thanks.

Although 30 seconds on Google would've given you this

This Australian study (peer reviewed and everything) found the infringement rate to be of the order of 10% to 12%. Hardly a majority.

hardly relevant to ireland now is it.:rolleyes:

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Well, that's all the peer reviewed evidence I need, let's go publish our findings and hit some conferences!

:rolleyes:

i meant it as a professional who spends >8hrs a day on our clogged up streets.
    No doubt a lot of cyclists break red lights, cars rarely do this unless it is (a) someone not paying attention or (b) the wee hours of the morning when the law seems to break down and taxi drivers choose which lights are stupid.

i've never been in ataxi that broke a red light... saw a few though ;)

CramCycle wrote: »
    That junction at Donnybrook is insane for the amount of people breaking lights, at the times I pass by it, it's usually 10cars vs 1 cyclists during rush hour

well i would say there's 100/1 ratio of motorists to cyclists (at least)

so taking that as a reference it would indicate a far higher percentage of cyclists are guilty. i.e Majority.

would you agree?

at least twice in the past month I have seen cars run the red light right in front of a squad car.

It's not a problem with cyclists or motorists or pedestrians. It is a problem with morons, they are in all walks of life, simple as.

nail on the head buddy. nail on the head. laws not enforced. too many fuckwits behind the wheel/bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

thebullkf wrote: »

I haven't been following the last few pages of post, but this ratio is not correct.

As far as I remember a few years ago cyclists were at least 2% of the traffic make-up and numbers have been rising since then. I think cyclists make up about 10% in Dublin city centre. I can't remember what the number was for cars and car occupants, but the majority transport mode in Dublin city centre was pedestrian.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I haven't been following the last few pages of post, but this ratio is not correct.

As far as I remember a few years ago cyclists were at least 2% of the traffic make-up and numbers have been rising since then. I think cyclists make up about 10% in Dublin city centre. I can't remember what the number was for cars and car occupants, but the majority transport mode in Dublin city centre was pedestrian.

absolute nonsense i reckon. 10% of traffic are bicycles....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

absolute nonsense i reckon. 10% of traffic are bicycles....
    yes the majority of cyclists do it. the majority i've seen.
    i hazard a guess i've seen more than most peope.
    believe me the majority of light breakers are cyclists.
    a taxi driver friend concurred .

That's just from this page.

I'm just highlighting the reasons why I can't take anything you've said here seriously. Continually and relentlessly spewing random opinion without any recourse to actual information does not make for a solid argument, it just makes your prejudices all the more apparent and, frankly, more easily dismissed.

Tell a lie, the national figure seems to be 3%.

http://www.rothar.ie/News.html

Cycling stats:

35,000 The number of people who cycle daily in Ireland

3 Percentage of total daily journeys in Ireland that are taken by bicycle

209 Kilometres of bicycle lanes in Dublin

25 Percentage of bicycle lanes that are shared with buses

1.9 Percentage of adults that use a bike to go to work, according to the 2006 Census

niceonetom wrote: »

I'm just highlighting the reasons why I can't take anything you've said here seriously. Continually and relentlessly spewing random opinion without any recourse to actual information does not make for a solid argument, it just makes your prejudices all the more apparent and, frankly, more easily dismissed.

thanks tom. how about contributing yourself,instead of pickin on visitors to this forum.:rolleyes:

dismiss it all you want. :cool:

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Tell a lie, the national figure seems to be 3%.

http://www.rothar.ie/News.html

good man.:)

i in 33 then.

its still a majority based on a previous posters observations.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was going to post something similar myself

@thebullkf - stop making assertions you cannot back-up, otherwise I will assume you are trolling and act accordingly

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement

106414.PNG

Courtesy of @Victor.

(and the 2006 census)

Beasty wrote: »
    I was going to post something similar myself

@thebullkf - stop making assertions you cannot back-up, otherwise I will assume you are trolling and act accordingly

Thanks

Beasty

eh... its my opinion beasty. based on what i see myself,and what friends have witnessed.

since when did this become the high court:rolleyes:

good luck. seems a differing opinion is not welcome in this forum.

ffs.

good evening all.

3% is the national figure, the Dublin figure is considerably higher around the city centre, as can be seen above.

I'm not getting into whether cyclists are the majority of RLJs or whatever hair-splitting is going on here. I'm just saying the ratio isn't 100:1.

In fact, it isn't 33:1 either, unless you think that there are no buses or trains or pedestrians.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eh... its my opinion beasty. based on what i see myself,and what friends have witnessed.
    Throughout the day you have been posting "statistics" based on what you claim you and your friends have witnessed.

None of the "statistics" you have provided have any scientific basis whatsoever. They are certainly not opinions - they are guesswork which conveniently support your arguments. Other posters have at least sought to back up their assertions with largely independent evidence

I'd have no problem whatsoever if you post statements you can back-up

Beasty

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Taxi drivers and professional do not belong in the same sentence in this country. If there were ever a set of road users to be tarred with the one brush it's that lot, somehow they think that yellow plate on the roof of the car absolves them of any responsible driving and having to adhere to the rules of the road.

Do not make such sweeping statements, or I will infract you

I know it's Friday, but this thread is rapidly heading for a lock with the standard of some of the posts being made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Apologies, arguing with a certain mindset and being brought down to their level and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

not any eejit can drive a car (legally)

There certainly is a lot of them out there trying however :D
    i meant any eejit can hop on a saddle-

Yes, anyone can ride a bike, anyone can walk on the road, I am not sure what the point of that is.

Someone earlier summed it up - it is not cyclists you have a problem with, it is stupid people :)

And these stupid people are on foot, on bikes, in cars, vans trucks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Cyclists who ride at night should definately be prosecuted. Whatever about killing themselves, the undortunate motorist is bound to get most of the blame.
    I was in Amsterdam last winter: bicycles everywhere but I witnessed cyclists being 'pulled' for not having lights and by the look of the body language and use of notebooks there was more than a 'telling off' involved.
    We can't have it every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Cyclists who ride at night should definately be prosecuted.

Oops - that shoud have read " ... who ride at night WITHOUT LIGHTS ..."

• Advertisement

Cyclists who ride at night should definately be prosecuted.

Thats a bit harsh.

We can't have it every way.

Are we asking that much!?

Oops - that shoud have read " ... who ride at night WITHOUT LIGHTS ..."

:)

That I would agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

i meant it as a professional who spends >8hrs a day on our clogging up streets.

;) FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

hardly relevant to ireland now is it.:rolleyes:

Why not?

They drive on the left, they have a shared legal and cultural heritage with us, never mind that we despatched a lot of our criminals to them, therefore they're more likely to be more non-compliant! :-)

Beasty wrote: »
    Throughout the day you have been posting "statistics" based on what you claim you and your friends have witnessed.

None of the "statistics" you have provided have any scientific basis whatsoever. They are certainly not opinions - they are guesswork which conveniently support your arguments. Other posters have at least sought to back up their assertions with largely independent evidence

I'd have no problem whatsoever if you post statements you can back-up

Beasty

well Beasty are they assertions or Statistics? {both your words }

they're neither they're assumptions.
    based on personal experience .
    only tomasrojo and jawgap have put up independent back up.
    when i was incorrect i owned up to tomasrojo. "fair play".
    i'm not a regular poster on this forum and i doubt i will be, {or others for that matter} due to the attitude to opinions of posters.

since when does having an opinion require "scientific basis" ?

i based my assumptions on another posters observations(cars v bikes/donnybrook i think).
    if theres 5 times as many cars as bikes on the roads then surely its reasonable to assume that more cars will be seen breaking lights by virtue of the fact that they are the dominant mode of personal transport in this country.(yet as a percentage bike riders breaking lights would be greater than cars)
    i mean i would hazard a guess that more than 35000 cars traverse Dublin city @ both rush hours on a daily basis which is more than the total number of daily cyclists in the country ,as indicated by tomasrojo.

i didn't purport to supply statistics or make assertions.I only gave my opinion
    which in your eyes is not sufficient on this forum.

i get it,its your ball. you make the rules.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Why not?

They drive on the left, they have a shared legal and cultural heritage with us, never mind that we despatched a lot of our criminals to them, therefore they're more likely to be more non-compliant! :-)

:D their attitude is different to ours. culturally we are miles apart.
    jeebus i used to live in Melbourne beside Sandringham. Peoples attitudes are much more relaxed and their laws much more strictly enforced.
    ie Parking a car facing away from traffic..is a fineable offence..and enforced.!
    double penalty points on bank holidays,their drivers are much more tolerant to cyclists and pedestrians (in my experience).
    their road signage is superb,as is their road network.

• Advertisement

;) FYP

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

since when does having an opinion require "scientific basis" ?

Since always.

Are you under the impression that you can spout any old rubbish and, as long as you say it's only your opinion no one call call you on it? It's somehow above contradiction? Because that's just infantile.

Opinions are not impervious to challenge - their worth is proportional to their resemblance to reality. Your opinion might be that the moon is made of elemental, but when nasa come back with their spectroscopic analysis your cries of "hey man, it's only my opinion" are, well, what they are.

You, like everyone else, are entitled to your opinion.

We are entitled to say "oh yeah? Then back it up." This is true of life in general, not just the internet.

If you can't, then your opinion will be judged for what it is. If you've just pulled it out of your ass, as seems to be your habit, it'll be pretty obvious and it'll be judged accordingly. If you keep doing it you'll be judged accordingly.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

42.7% of all statistics are made up............... in my opinion

Since always.

really? No.

Are you under the impression that you can spout any old rubbish and, as long as you say it's only your opinion no one call call you on it? It's somehow above contradiction? Because that's just infantile.

no. i have no problem being,wrong,contradicted or otherwise.
    Opinions are not impervious to challenge - their worth is proportional to their resemblance to reality. Your opinion might be that the moon is made of elemental, but when nasa come back with their spectroscopic analysis your cries of "hey man, it's only my opinion" are, well, what they are.

You, like everyone else, are entitled to your opinion.

We are entitled to say "oh yeah? Then back it up." This is true of life in general, not just the internet.

thanks for the life talk.
    If you can't, then your opinion will be judged for what it is. If you've just pulled it out of your ass, as seems to be your habit, it'll be pretty obvious and it'll be judged accordingly. If you keep doing it you'll be judged accordingly.

Hope this helps.

it does, helps alot. to include you in my ignore list.

stevie_b wrote: »
    42.7% of all statistics are made up............... in my opinion

and 70% of people believe that:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

and 70% of people believe that:p

The pleasure is all ours Mr Allen.

OK - that's enough - thread's being going no-where for some time now, and to save anyone from further action I'm closing it

Beasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement