Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation in En-Suite

• 18-11-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I need an extractor / shower fan.

The en-suite steams up so bad that it is dripping off the ceiling. Opening the windows does no good at all.

Can anyone recommend a decent extractor / shower fan ?

Are they easy to install?

Do I need an electrician?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moleskin65

Hello..
    Yeah..place 1no.in line timer fan over the shower.They are handy to do if there is attic space above.
    requirements;
    4" holesaw[normally 4" hole required] to drill hole or cut with padsaw..watch for timber joists above...drill [or cut] between joists.
    bring 2no. 1.5sq pvc/pvc brown cables down to light switch [1no. for permanent feed for timer[sometimes the permanent can be found at the en-suite light fitting if the electrician has used the loop in system of wiring ..common in new installations]..other cable for switch feed to fan]change switch from 1gang to 2 gang switch..i.e.one switch for light,other switch for fan.
    advisable to break these 2no.pvc/pvc cables thru fused[1 or 3 amp fuse] spurs..located beside in line fan in attic,neutral can be taken from the actual light fitting in en-suite.no earth required as these fans are double insulated.i.e. total plastic/pvc.
    Use 4 core flex 4x1sq with correct colour usage..black is permanent,brown is switch feed,blue is neutral,earth becomes idle.,to connect into fan.
    In-line fan are handy to use as they can be screwed to local joist in attic[connect hose to ceiling grill,place thru hole and then screw finished grill cover to ceiling] and you can cut the hose to suit and you if want to be totally pro. about the job ..you can return the hose from the other side of the fan to the fascia/soffit board again with a 4" hole and finished grill.Most people leave them sitting over an air vent in the fascia/soffit board.
    Other options are normal timer fan..fan sits into ceiling and blows up into attic space..are louder than in-line fans 'cause fan is mounted on ceiling.
    Other option is normal fan which is normally wired off the light..pretty straight forward..has no timer so will only come on when light is on...where as if fan[timer] are switched separately,you can turn on fan and not light,and when you switch off fan[timer]the fan will run for x amount of minutes after you turn off fan switch.

other hints..need to scrape down ceiling and use proper paint to protect plasterboard ceiling.
    also if problem persists you could place another fan in opposite corner of en-suite..this is a big problem in ensuite's with no windows.
    Any hardware or electrical shop worth their salt should carry
    1.normal ceiling mounted fans
    2.normal ceiling mounted fans with timer.
    3.In-line fan with timer.
    Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

moleskin65 wrote: »
    Hello..
    Yeah..place 1no.in line timer fan over the shower.They are handy to do if there is attic space above.
    requirements;
    4" holesaw[normally 4" hole required] to drill hole or cut with padsaw..watch for timber joists above...drill [or cut] between joists.
    bring 2no. 1.5sq pvc/pvc brown cables down to light switch [1no. for permanent feed for timer[sometimes the permanent can be found at the en-suite light fitting if the electrician has used the loop in system of wiring ..common in new installations]..other cable for switch feed to fan]change switch from 1gang to 2 gang switch..i.e.one switch for light,other switch for fan.
    advisable to break these 2no.pvc/pvc cables thru fused[1 or 3 amp fuse] spurs..located beside in line fan in attic,neutral can be taken from the actual light fitting in en-suite.no earth required as these fans are double insulated.i.e. total plastic/pvc.
    Use 4 core flex 4x1sq with correct colour usage..black is permanent,brown is switch feed,blue is neutral,earth becomes idle.,to connect into fan.
    In-line fan are handy to use as they can be screwed to local joist in attic[connect hose to ceiling grill,place thru hole and then screw finished grill cover to ceiling] and you can cut the hose to suit and you if want to be totally pro. about the job ..you can return the the hose from the other side of the fan to the fascia/soffit board again with a 4" hole and finished grill.Must people leave them sitting over an air vent in the fascia/soffit board.
    Other options are normal timer fan..fan sits into ceiling and blows up into attic space..are louder than in-line fans 'cause fan is mounted on ceiling.
    Other option is normal fan which is normally wired off the light..pretty straight forward..has no timer so will only come on when light is on...where as if fan[timer] are switched separately,you can turn on fan and not light,and when you switch off fan[timer]the fan will run for x amount of minutes after you turn off fan switch.

other hints..need to scrape down ceiling and use proper paint to protect plasterboard ceiling.
    also if problem persists you could place another fan in opposite corner of en-suite..this is a big problem in ensuite's with no windows.
    Any hardware or electrical shop worth their salt should carry
    1.normal ceiling mounted fans
    2.normal ceiling mounted fans with timer.
    3.In-line fan with timer.
    Cheers...

Good advice. My house has sloping ceiling/roof joists to soffit. Difficult to access. When I was doing some work on the house I got a fan installed - electrician said he couldn't bring the hose down to the soffit - so drilled a hole in wall instead. Bad idea. Drauftier and Noisier. So I would definitely advise against wall vent, even if it might appear easier. Ceiling/Soffit all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sorry if this is said i am finding it hard to read above..

Consider a fan with a humid stat...It activates with humidity instead of lightswitch. This is especially important as some people do not use lights in the main bathroom and prefere to use a mirror light in the ensute so they dont wake the other half.

Keep the hole away from the beams. If the fan touches the beam through any part even the hose it can transfere vibrations through the house which is annoying.

Make sure the fan is terminated correctly outside. If you go straight up and out through a roof tile moisture can come back down the tube and drip into the bathroom. My own feeling here is turn at 90 deg and go out through the soffit board. If you get an attic conversion later this will not interupt the fans operation.,

Electrical regulations say a fan should be on an isolator in an ensuite...as far as i know...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Like this?

Oh and the 90 degree bend and out via the soffit board is true too.You dont want condensation comming back down the fan.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

i have a ceiling fan and a window in ensuite and i still have terrible condensation. any ideas to help this?
    i usually leave the window on the latch all day but not really an option in this cold weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

i have a ceiling fan and a window in ensuite and i still have terrible condensation. any ideas to help this?
    i usually leave the window on the latch all day but not really an option in this cold weather.

How is the insulation in the roof currently? if its poor, then the cold of the plasterboard could be causing more condensation than normal, and would be more apparent in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

the ensuite is downstairs and the house is only 2 years old so insulation should be good.
    the only thing is my attic is huge with the potential of having 4 rooms up there but at the minute it's just floored. there's insulation between the ensuite plaster board and the attic floor.

Advertisement