Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS Sat-Nav device for winter sports

• 18-11-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi guys,
    I want to get my boyf a GPS Sat-Nav device for orienteering during the year & snowboarding during winter. Any suggestions here on whats good, what to look out for etc. I’ve heard that some of them require recharging quite often etc., which is obviously not ideal if you were snowboarding every day or on a camping trip.
    Price range Im talking anything from €150 to €350.
    Thanks in advance!
    :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lot's of GPS type gadgetry to try.

GPS Goggles: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056084557
    Not going to be any use for any thin else though, and won't even help you find your way around the slopes. Will tell you how far/ fast you've been going afterwards though and let you download everything to the PC afterwards.

http://www.satsportsgps.com/satski/
    Looks like they have apps for various mobiles phones, or a stand alone device of their own. The phone apps are probably the cheapest option, but if the phone batteries would last the day is another matter.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/
    I've used various Garmin devices for various things over the years and am pretty happy with them. Not sure that any of them could be considered ideal for on the slopes though. The Oregan or Dakota ones may be good ones to look at though but I've not used those models specifically. They will certainly be good for the likes of orienteering though.

The issue with most devices is going to be the maps which can get quite expensive. Maps for the likes of orienteering will certainly be available for the Garmin devices, but whilst you could stick the equivalent of an OS map on for skiing it wouldn't be overly useful. The likes of the SatSki will have their own maps specifically for some resorts, but not everywhere. Or you may find maps for free from here: http://openpistemap.org/

How you go about getting those maps onto whichever device might be a challenge as well though and depends on levels of technophobia. Personally I'd be inclined towards one of the Garmins, but that is probably because that is what I've used before and am more used to their quirks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 claresey

Wow, thanks a million, thats really good info. I like the sound of Garmin myself - but probably just because we have the Sat Nav for the car & find its easy to use.
    Ill deffo have a look at these, thanks again.
    Might pop in to Great Outdoors & 53 degrees North & see whats on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

good info robinph, thanks.

I have been thinking this year of getting a GPS, I only want it to calculate accurate speed. Maybe use it for some road or bike work but this would be minimal.

I own a samsung M1 vodafone 360, but could not find any downloads.

Any advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I just remembered seeing a Gadget Show repeat on Dave a while ago where they were testing a couple of units. One I think was a SatSki device, but completely different to what I've since seen on their website so not sure how old the program was, and the other device was a Garmin Dakota or Oregan that they had loaded some other ski specific maps onto. I can't for the life of me remember who the seller of the maps they had loaded onto the Garmin was though, I'l see if I can think who it was later.

If your after a device to use for several different things, such as hill walking, wandering around a strange city, skiing, biking, etc then your best bet is probably going to be the Dakota or Oregan range. One of those does link up with some of the speed sensors that you can fit to a bike and heart rate monitors as well. But there are better models for if your going to be mostly using it on the bike, like the new Edge 800 which is only just out and I'm trying to talk myself into buying at the moment. Those various Garmin models will also do road navigation as well, but not with any speaking to you, they just beep and display the instructions on screen.

I'm not sure what maps the Samsung would use, but part of the advantage of the Garmins is that there are loads of methods of loading alternative maps onto their devices from various sources. Of course the maps are also of varying levels of usefulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

If you have an IPHONE try the ITRAIL MAP 3D which is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

For hiking/biking etc - the eTrex would be a good option https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=143&fKeys=FILTER_SERIES_ETREX

They're pretty reasonable, and quite small. So good for pockets etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

If you need to calculate speed, you don't need a ski specific Gps, bring along your GArmin, Tom Tom etc.

PS are the phone Gps's accurate indicators of speed ?

Came across some maps generated from the openpistemap.org data here if you have a mapping Garmin device:

http://skidea.com/maps/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I used my Garmin Forerunner 305 last season to clock our speed when skiing. The only problem with it was that the battery died really quickly in the sub zero temperatures. Ideally look at getting a device that's easy to recharge.

I've used a GPSMAP60CSx for tracking skiing before, but would have to recharge the AA batteries every other day. I didn't have any problems with the cold, but I had specifically looked for some decent rechargables for it.

Was wearing a 405 during skiing before, but I never actually turned it on for tracking as I was only using it to tell the time. Still had trouble with it if it got wet though as the bezel went mad on it for ages until it dried out fully again.

I'll be trying out my 310XT on the next trip, which I believe has a longer battery life than the 305 (?). I'd be curious to see how it's tracking compares with the GPSMAP60CSx as well, but i'l be sticking some maps on that one in case I get stuck in a white out and can't find the nearest bar. ;)

Want to see what the HR gets up to going down the World Cup run in Kitzbuhel. :eek:

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I'll be trying out my 310XT on the next trip, which I believe has a longer battery life than the 305 (?). I'd be curious to see how it's tracking compares with the GPSMAP60CSx as well, but i'l be sticking some maps on that one in case I get stuck in a white out and can't find the nearest bar. ;)

Want to see what the HR gets up to going down the World Cup run in Kitzbuhel. :eek:

I do believe the 310XT has a better battery.

Oh, memories of that run in Kitzbuhel. I was there 2 years ago. It was the week after the race and the run was still predominantly ice. I went faster on my ass and spinning head over heals coming down the last section than I ever have gone on skis! :D It's cool to come down a run with the blue line still visible. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

pgibbo wrote: »
    I used my Garmin Forerunner 305 last season to clock our speed when skiing. The only problem with it was that the battery died really quickly in the sub zero temperatures. Ideally look at getting a device that's easy to recharge.

Keep it in an inside pocket to keep it warm!

olaola wrote: »
    Keep it in an inside pocket to keep it warm!

Must try that. I just wasn't sure if it would maintain the GPS connection under the layers. I assume it does.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I do believe the 310XT has a better battery.

Oh, memories of that run in Kitzbuhel. I was there 2 years ago. It was the week after the race and the run was still predominantly ice. I went faster on my ass and spinning head over heals coming down the last section than I ever have gone on skis! :D It's cool to come down a run with the blue line still visible. :cool:

I think the race is the week after I'll be there. When to they start to make the run into solid ice and unskiable by mere mortals?

robinph wrote: »
    I think the race is the week after I'll be there. When to they start to make the run into solid ice and unskiable by mere mortals?

No idea TBH. I'd imagine it takes a few days to build up the ice to the level they want it at for race day. I also assume there's a few days of practice on it for the racers. Taking all of that in to account it could be up to 5-7 days before hand depending on when the practice runs start.

Advertisement