Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Oz, Some questions

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I'm 33 and married with a 6 year old and am seriously considering making the move to Australia. I'm pretty sure I qualify for the Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176).

I'm a software engineer/team lead with 14 years experience and a degree in computer science. I'm mainly working in C# which is on the critical skills list. My first question, does the critical skills list still apply, it's on Australian immigration website but I've read it's no longer in use? Also, do you need to do some sort of exam to prove your skills or how do they validate them?

Have people found it easier to apply yourself directly or to use an agent? If using an agent what sort of service do they offer as opposed to applying directly.

From looking at seek.com.au there seems to be plenty of software development jobs, is this really the case? Any ideas on average salaries?

Am I right in thinking I'm looking at an 18 month period before getting a visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Critical skills list is dead and buried.

If you are looking a 176 is that Family sponsored or State Sponsored?

You need a skills assessment for starters.

You don't really need an agent as you can do it yourself but if I were you I would start researching here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/

Processing times vary between 6 months and 3 years, the system is changing next July so a lot of people are lodging their applications now. Only thing is the number of visa's is capped every year so there would be a lot of applications already in the pipleline before you get yours lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Thanks for the info.

The sponsorship is family.

What exactly does the skills assessment comprise of? Is it something that is done via email or do you have to take it in person somewhere?

masterK wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

The sponsorship is family.

What exactly does the skills assessment comprise of? Is it something that is done via email or do you have to take it in person somewhere?

You apply to a professional body like the Australian Computer society
    http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=skillassessment

they decide weather you are qualified enough to get a visa, they will charge you about $400 for the privilege.

Thanks.

I'm a bit uneasy about having to approach my current employer for a statement or indeed my superior as I'm pretty senior and any one above me is into the realms of senior management who I wouldn't want knowing I'm thinking of leaving.

One more question, if I qualify for Skilled Migration Visa am I automatically entitled to bring my wife and daughter with me or do they need to go through a separate authorisation process?

• Advertisement

you add them to your application at the very start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CFPD

Im heading off to Australia for a year at the begining of 2011. Would anyone know if I would be able to apply for a visa to work in Canada while Im in Australia? Say through USIT???

I was thinking of just heading straight to Canada after my year in Australia is up-Or is this just the most stupid idea ever???......

Any ideas???:)

With regard to the ACS assesment there is a section in the guidelines that states

"Statement of academic record (transcript) showing the names of all the subjects studied and grades received. Result slips or web results are not acceptable in lieu of the official academic record.
    A legend explaining the grading system must be included."

Does anybody know if this is absolutely necessary? It's 14 years since I completed my degree and don't have this detail about the individual results and grading system, all I have is the final degree I was awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

You can probably get the transcripts from your college/uni.

If they ask for them then you have to supply, also if your degree certificate is in Gaelic that will have to be translated.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the helpful responses. One last question, will I have to take an English language exam? If I do will my wife, and what about our 6 year?

masterK wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpful responses. One last question, will I have to take an English language exam? If I do will my wife, and what about our 6 year?

If you are all Irish passport holders then no you don't have to, but if you are short of points you yourself doing the IELTS gets you another 10.

Advertisement