Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Indian Restaurant

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm treating my Dad to an Indian lunch on Saturday and am looking for recommendations on where to take him?

I don't have much money but want somewhere with nice surroundings and top notch food! My Dad loves Indian food as do I and we don't get together often so I'd like this to be a special lunch.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Oh and the hotter the better!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Where do you live OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Has to be Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

lucylu wrote: »
    Where do you live OP ?

D'oh! Sorry. I live in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Okra Green in Howth. Seriously tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Indie Spice in Swords or Maloti on South William Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Posted something similar a couple of weeks ago

Went to Jaipur
    41 George’s St, Dublin 2.
    Tel: 01 677 0999
    Fax: 01 677 0979

Great food and service 2 mins from the College of Surgeons car par

R

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fascination

On the Southside, Vermillion in Terenure is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Posted something similar a couple of weeks ago

Went to Jaipur
    41 George’s St, Dublin 2.
    Tel: 01 677 0999
    Fax: 01 677 0979

Great food and service 2 mins from the College of Surgeons car par

R
    Great service and atmosphere there. However, apart from the duck starter I had I wasn't particularly impressed with the food, given the reputation of the place. I can make much nicer dahl myself tbh. I certainly wouldn't consider their food hot for indian. Very upmarket restaurant btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

ive visited most and the best ive had is Rasam in glastule :)
    ananda in dundrum can be as good but sometimes the execution is poor a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

ive visited most and the best ive had is Rasam in Glasthule :)

I'll second this.

Nicest Indian in Dublin I've been to. Not the cheapest but as with most things in life you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Indie Spice is really good, but my personal favourite is Monsoon in Stillorgan and Rathmines, not sure about prices but their takeaway meal deals are amazing value.....top takeaway place.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭WacoKid

Kinara in Clontarf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

WacoKid wrote: »
    Kinara in Clontarf

I love this restaurant but I'm meeting my pops in town.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

A girl in work said she stumbled upon an amazing Indian one night in town but she can't rememebr the name of it.

She said it's down a narrow laneway in temple Bar near GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen).

Not sure where she means though!

tbh there isnt really any great indians in the city centre, they are average at best. hop on a dart and 20mins to glastule :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beetlebum wrote: »
    D'oh! Sorry. I live in Dublin!

I must be psychic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I must be psychic!
    Only people from Dublin forget the rest of the country exists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Ananda in Dundrum, Indian Summer in Stillorgan, although haven't been to the latter in a while (mainly due to Ananda!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Maloti is my favourite in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

when i lived in rathfarnham the indian brasserie was really rocking when it came to quality. not been in dublin for years now (not outside the centre anyway) so no idea if it's still open.

in galway, the eastern tandoori at the spanish arch was probably the best indian i've ever eaten at. just damned tasty food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Rasan in glasthule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Jewel in the Crown, is very nice, and have a great early bird menu.
    They're at South Frederick St, Ballsbridge and Dun Laoghaire, myself and the missus normally go to South Frederick St

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Hmm, down a lane in temple bar - I'd say it was probably Monty's of Kathmandu - yes it is Nepali but there are similiarities and it is DELICIOUS.

If you want a really great indian, tho the surroundings are slightly basic, Medina Desai on Mary Street is incredibly good. Some of the best indian food I've had outside of India... warning though - no beer sold if that matters to you :)

tbh this tread really asks why we dont have a top class indian resturant in our city center? there is only a couple of resturants in this country of note everything else is just avearge but not bad :D we need better curries !

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

nosietoes wrote: »
    If you want a really great indian, tho the surroundings are slightly basic, Medina Desai on Mary Street is incredibly good. Some of the best indian food I've had outside of India... warning though - no beer sold if that matters to you :)

Medina Desai is probably my favourite Indian restaurant in Dublin. Surma up by the Bleeding horse is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Beetlebum wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm treating my Dad to an Indian lunch on Saturday and am looking for recommendations on where to take him?

Oh and the hotter the better!

And where did you choose in the end?

I noticed someone else in the thread say you cant get a hot curry in Ireland. I worked with a lot of guys from Pune & Bangalore they used to find it funny the fascination with Phal's and Vindaloo's. They found curry's in a lot of places had way to much chilli. Must try Anande at some stage, wonder if it lives up to Benares reputation.

Mylow wrote: »
    And where did you choose in the end?
    Must try Anande at some stage, wonder if it lives up to Benares reputation.

Ananda is good but it doesnt come close to Benares unfortunately imho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

Monsoon in Rathmines is pretty great. The atmosphere can be a bit dead but the food is gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

d4v1d wrote: »
    when i lived in rathfarnham the indian brasserie was really rocking when it came to quality. not been in dublin for years now (not outside the centre anyway) so no idea if it's still open.

Very sad story on the Indian Brasserie. Nejii the owner retired a couple of months ago and sadly passed away on a family trip back home for a wedding. Has been taken over and menu changed, did'nt really like it when I tried it last week. The Punjab Balti in Ranalegh is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 luv2craic

i'd disagree abt ind brasserie..luvd the new guys' flavours..do agree that the menu is a bit strange..the fella was telling me that they are having a new menu soon and some top-shot chef comin too..luv them for their taste..go there once every 2 wks or so..never been disappointed..(so far!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

nosietoes wrote: »
    Hmm, down a lane in temple bar - I'd say it was probably Monty's of Kathmandu - yes it is Nepali but there are similiarities and it is DELICIOUS.

I think it's Shan's down Crow Street, same lane as FXB and Tante Zoe's.
    I do highly recommend it -- great food, if you don't mind the stuffy atmosphere.

Monsoon in Rathmines is another one of my favourite.

If you're willing to travel a bit, Delhi Darbar in Celbridge is the best.

Advertisement