Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 fine for scrapped car

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭

I have mentioned this in another thread, but i thought it was interesting, and wondered if anyone else had a problem like this. As you all know, I run an ATF for scrap cars, and this week we had a phonecall from an Irish lady now living in Sweden. She has received a fine from the M50 toll operators, who found her via her mother who still lives in the house she was resident in when she lived here. She didnt say how much the fine is for, but said 'it was with her solicitors.'

A car, the same make and model as hers, was seen going through the m50 a number of times up til July 2010, the only thing is, we scrapped it in August 2008. Luckily, we still have the camera images, the cert of destruction, the vin number and the logbook ( we have to keep them for 7 years) so her case seems pretty concrete. We notified Shannon on the 15th August 2008 that the car was scrapped.

I was just wondering where the mistake is, I'd say the plate was cloned, but would Shannon have reissued the number? How was the fact that this car was scrapped not red flagged so to speak before the fine was issued? Anybody else have anything like tis happen to them?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I doubt they reissue numbers, and the odds of it matching make and model would be pretty small. It's far more likely that somebody got there hands on a list of scrapped cars and picked off a number to match the needed car.

I'm not sure how widely available lists of scrapped cars would be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭greenermetals

they shouldnt be available at all, unless the man that cloned it just got a list of regs that matched his own, or maybe he seen it 2 years ago and has been using it ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could have been on a car sales site with reg shown in photo or just seen on the street.
    Good for the lady you have the info stored!

yeah, i think its quite common though. we had a car on the back of the lorry and the previous owner have recieved fine for them as they were read by the cameras. we take the reg plates off now after cert of dest is issued

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

we had a car on the back of the lorry and the previous owner have recieved fine for them as they were read by the cameras.

School Boy mistake in fairness! :p

• Advertisement

Yeah, the driver got a bit of grief over it, when probably he shouldnt have ;P we paid it and all sorted out.

As a previous poster said earlier, the woman was lucky she had the cert of destruction etc. I hear anecdotal evidence of this happening all the time, with cars supposedly scrapped and people still getting fined. thats why i was wondering had it happened to anyone else. There was something about it in the independent a while back i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I have mentioned this in another thread, but i thought it was interesting, and wondered if anyone else had a problem like this. As you all know, I run an ATF for scrap cars

Nope - didn't know that. I do get the impresion though that you are are pushing an agenda.

i wouldnt say that im pushing an agenda. this arose from a previous post and i wanted to know if it was an urban myth (that it is widespread, i know it HAS happened, but how often). i also wanted to know if it were normal for shannon to make these mistakes, or see did anyone have any insight into the mechanism for sending these fines. do the guards have access to these records? do the agency that issue the fine have access to these records? how did someone get the plate, its obviously not coincidence that it was the same make and model etc. had the owners of the been driving around with impunity for 2 years?

i only said i was working at an atf as i didnt want it to be...i heard from a bloke...my best friends sister kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I though you were selling Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) from scrapped cars when I glanced at your first post:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

Any word back from Shannon yet?
    I wonder is the cloned car,taxed,insured,nct'd ect?.

I'm guessing the problem is in shannon,but they surely have a record of the original COD from '08?

Advertisement