Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it still worth going North?

• 18-11-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi all,

Last time i was up north was 2 years ago for christmas shop, back then there were tonnes of bargains to be had.

Thinking about heading up again this year and just wondering is it still worth it for clothes/drink and presents? Are the savings still significant?

Move this if it is wrong place pls

Thanks
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

There are so many threads on this, a little reading will give you all the answers.

Also a little reserch on the web will give you the real prices in real time.

Overall its not worth it anymore except for clothes purchased from Uk multiples who still charge a high price down here. Toys & games are about the same - some are cheaper here, some cheaper there, but rarely more tahn 5% either way.

Groceries & alcohol, very little savings overall. Some great offers up north, but some great offers down south too. But when offers are stripped out, the difference is almost nonexistent.

for all uk grocery prices go to mysupermarket.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,281 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you target the special offers and are spending about €300 on the trip it's still worth it with good savings. If you head up with no research done with what you are buying in comparison to the prices in the south you will make little or no savings and it will be a wasted journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

If you target the special offers and are spending about €300 on the trip it's still worth it with good savings. If you head up with no research done with what you are buying in comparison to the prices in the south you will make little or no savings and it will be a wasted journey.

If you target the special offers down here, you'll make similar savings. - Just play the supermarkets at their own game. - I don't I have ever paid full price for washing powder as I couldn't give a sh1te what brand I'm using. Same goes for cooked ham, pizzas, frozen fish, cat food (ok I don;t eat it, but the cats do:D), toiletries & minerals.

After a while, you know what products have regular offers, - so just wait and then stock up. Abuse the offers in full.

Advertisement