Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim exchange - NGB enabled

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:32pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone in Trim with DSL should have a better connection now - it appears that the exchange has been upgraded for NGB. My connection has been noticeably better since yesterday - lower pings, slightly higher upload and download speeds and most importantly, solid speeds last evening (mine always dropped a lot in the evenings).

I'm on Vodafone but I'd assume Eircom or any other DSL provider will be the same as it's all the same lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not on my eircom DSL as yet. still stuck about 2.75MB. The NGB Map shows me covered. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Might take a few days, mine is definitely improved since Wednesday. I notice on the Eircom NGB page it show Trim as "Enabled" but other areas as "Migrated". No idea as to how the rollout occurs from a technical perspective, but maybe the Trim exchange is divided into sub areas and not until all are ready is the whole area shown as migrated.

Surprised I'd be done first though considering I'm with Eircom's bitter rivals! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

on to the twitter eircom-y people (nice guys actually, i've interacted a few times with them and positive experience each time) - and they are migrating me tonight ! Yay! :)

looking forward to it.

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Nothing better than being migrated on a Friday night lol! :D

Seriously, it makes a big difference to the evening broadband for me. No way I'd have got these figures consistently in the evenings:
    1037316855.png
    28466317.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

But if you're on a NGB package you have a strict download allowance, the basic one being 10gb. There is a charge for every GB you exceed it by.

• Advertisement

kc66 wrote: »
    But if you're on a NGB package you have a strict download allowance, the basic one being 10gb. There is a charge for every GB you exceed it by.

There's 60Gb included on my current package (Vodafone 7Mb Anytime package). €45 for line rental, including all peak and off-peak local and national calls, 7Mb broadband and 60Gb limit is great value imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Hi, In Trim got letter saying we be going to NGB soon, I noted on letter that the limit is set at 30gb and that is combined upload and download afterthat it is €2 per 1G. Mind your downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

We are enabled and upgraded according to ngb.ie but Vodafone online doesn't give the option to upgrade to a 24Mb package. Does anyone in Trim have this upgrade yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

PauloMN wrote: »
    Nothing better than being migrated on a Friday night lol! :D

Seriously, it makes a big difference to the evening broadband for me. No way I'd have got these figures consistently in the evenings:
    1037316855.png
    28466317.png

god you are fairly lucky like, i live outside trim, and we have the vodafone 3mb package and we only receive 0.5mb!!!! not fair, well i have to say it beats dial-up anyday!!!

yellabelly wrote: »
    We are enabled and upgraded according to ngb.ie but Vodafone online doesn't give the option to upgrade to a 24Mb package. Does anyone in Trim have this upgrade yet?

No 24Mb here either, when I log into My VF at Home, it says my line doesn't support 24Mb. Not a major issue since the NGB upgrade as I get really solid 7Mb now compared with before, but if it was available I'd probably get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

PauloMN wrote: »
    No 24Mb here either, when I log into My VF at Home, it says my line doesn't support 24Mb. Not a major issue since the NGB upgrade as I get really solid 7Mb now compared with before, but if it was available I'd probably get it.

Vodaphone support tell me my line is only rated at 6Mb even though we are ngb enabled. I took the opportunity to review the plan they had us on and transfered to one fundamentally the same but €10 cheaper. We were transferred from BT and they will leave you overpaying. Likewise I would pay more for a 24Mb service if it was available.

yellabelly wrote: »
    Vodaphone support tell me my line is only rated at 6Mb even though we are ngb enabled. I took the opportunity to review the plan they had us on and transfered to one fundamentally the same but €10 cheaper. We were transferred from BT and they will leave you overpaying. Likewise I would pay more for a 24Mb service if it was available.

There is a certain loss of max speed the further you are from the exchange. The nearest Eircom exchange is down near the Garda station according to an Eircom fellow I asked. I'm probably close to a mile from there up the Dublin Road, and I get around 7Mb. If you are a bit further out, it could be that.

Suppose it's just a case of wait and see for the 24Mb upgrade.

Advertisement