Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rashers posted to me - Safe to eat?

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just a quick question. Currently living in germany and missing rashers and pudding like crazy.

Anyway my family back home realized this and recently sent me over some via the post. Now id imagine the pudding is defiantly safe to eat because it lasts for ages, but im not so sure on the rashers. Is it safe to eat the rashers after they were posted and un-refrigerated for so long(bout 3 days). The packets are of course sealed and currently in my fridge with a best by date of dec 7th if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Personally, I'd eat them as long as they smell ok.
    It is winter so the chances are that they were pretty cold most of the time.
    Also they are cured (preserved) and vac packed.
    Others may say different but I have never given myself or anyone else food poisoning .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I gave em a try. Opened them there and there was a bit of an oily sheen on top. The smell also was a bit funky. I persevered desperate for a bacon sandwich anyway but it was no good. Rashers are gone. The pudding still tastes awesome though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Patricide wrote: »
    Hey all, just a quick question. Currently living in germany and missing rashers and pudding like crazy.

Anyway my family back home realized this and recently sent me over some via the post. Now id imagine the pudding is defiantly safe to eat because it lasts for ages, but im not so sure on the rashers. Is it safe to eat the rashers after they were posted and un-refrigerated for so long(bout 3 days). The packets are of course sealed and currently in my fridge with a best by date of dec 7th if that makes any difference.

Why don't you go to a butcher's in Aachen and ask for their "blood sausage" and hey presto, there's your black pudding. If that fails there's always Belgium and Luxemburg where any butcher will happily sell you a load of "boudin noir" and "boudin blanc" which is nothing but black and white pudding minus the annoying cereal. At this time of year you should be able to get "boudin de noel" sort of the christmas version that can have raisins and the likes in it.

Don't know about the actual back rashers Irish style but there's no way in hell you can't get all the pork products your wee heart could desire in that part of Germany. Your friendly local Aachen butcher might even be able to sell you genuine wild boar rasher and you'll be in for a delight then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Reminds me of when the Irish use to go to Spain on package holidays and bring the tea and breakfast in their luggage. Of course it wasn't the food they brought in nice hot suitcases that made them sick it was the local food and water.......
    :rolleyes:

Have you checked can you buy rashers online? At least the professionals will either transport them with dry ice or freezer packs in the mail. Bulk buy and freeze them. Vacuum pack doesnt stop them going off just slows it down and salt in rashers has been reduced in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Why don't you go to a butcher's in Aachen and ask for their "blood sausage" and hey presto, there's your black pudding. If that fails there's always Belgium and Luxemburg where any butcher will happily sell you a load of "boudin noir" and "boudin blanc" which is nothing but black and white pudding minus the annoying cereal. At this time of year you should be able to get "boudin de noel" sort of the christmas version that can have raisins and the likes in it.

Don't know about the actual back rashers Irish style but there's no way in hell you can't get all the pork products your wee heart could desire in that part of Germany. Your friendly local Aachen butcher might even be able to sell you genuine wild boar rasher and you'll be in for a delight then.
    I like the cereal in pudding. Iv tried the blutwurst alright. Tisnt bad but its not quite the same as we have back at home. They do indeed have a huge mess of pork products here but nothing tastes even remotely similar to irish rashers or sausages. As cool as the german bacon and wurst is to have, sometimes I miss the taste of home.

Aint nothing out there that beats an irish breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Reminds me of when the Irish use to go to Spain on package holidays and bring the tea and breakfast in their luggage. Of course it wasn't the food they brought in nice hot suitcases that made them sick it was the local food and water.......
    :rolleyes:

Haha I remember my folks used to do that! Pack or two of rashers, sausages, pudding and some eggs to boot. People from Shligo don't like that strange foreign food... pashta, shpaghetti, and the like.... :D

Advertisement