Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

server loosing static IP address

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

Hi I am having a problem with two servers loosing their static address as soon as I remote desktop in to both servers the IP changes to DCHP

both servers are in the exclusion range on the DC

can anyone help as its driving me insane as I cant figure out what the hell is going on :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Assign the ip to the mac of the nic on the server via dhcp so even if it try's for dhcp the dhcp server would put it's ip back onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

jamesd wrote: »
    Assign the ip to the mac of the nic on the server via dhcp so even if it try's for dhcp the dhcp server would put it's ip back onto it.

thanks but that wont cut it as I need the server to hold on to the gateway address also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Auvers wrote: »
    thanks but that wont cut it as I need the server to hold on to the gateway address also

Does the server have a different gateway address than the one assigned by the DHCP server?

Google doesn't seem to throw up anything conclusive but resetting TCP/IP might be worth a try?

bhickey wrote: »
    Does the server have a different gateway address than the one assigned by the DHCP server?

nope but thats another thing entirely and way to long to explain and I dont want to thread to get sidetracked

all I want to know is why does the TCP/IP settings revert to "obtain an IP address automatically" when I use remote desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Auvers wrote: »
    all I want to know is why does the TCP/IP settings revert to "obtain an IP address automatically" when I use remote desktop

Fair enough but while I'm not sure you'll find a definitive answer to that question, you might just find a fix somewhere. Sometimes that's the best you can hope for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I have experience this issue with SBS 2008.

Go in to the registry, find where the ip address is and remove and empty space before and after it.

Apparently someone made a booboo at microsoft, caused my a couple hours of fun figuring it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What OS versions are the client and server running?

On the client, under remote desktop connection, there is an options menu which allows you to share local resources with the server. Is everything de-selected? There's no network related Plug and Play device driver on your laptop that the server is installing when you connect?

Routing and Remote access is unconfigured?

ressem wrote: »
    What OS versions are the client and server running?

On the client, under remote desktop connection, there is an options menu which allows you to share local resources with the server. Is everything de-selected? There's no network related Plug and Play device driver on your laptop that the server is installing when you connect?

Routing and Remote access is unconfigured?

2003 SP2 and Win XP SP3 I have been using using RD for the last three or so years all both servers without problems and only for the last week or so this has been happening, there have been no changes made on either side

oh I should of said this is not just happeing with one server its happening to three and I can use VNC without problems

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are there any new group policy settings in force here? It seems odd that a server's network config would change when someone logs in, but if there's a user-level GPO in force, setting all clients to DHCP, then this could cause the server config to change.

seamus wrote: »
    Are there any new group policy settings in force here?

nope no new policys have been setup
    seamus wrote: »
    It seems odd that a server's network config would change when someone logs in

yep its driving me insane I can figure out what is going on

• Advertisement

fixed the fcuker

another colleague created a new group and added the administrator account as a member and that group was added to the DHCP policy, so when I tried to login using the admin account on RD it applied the DHCP policy

now a light whipping followed by the application of some vinegar will be applied to the eejit that made the group

thanks for all the help and suggestions

Advertisement