Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive failure, what drive can i replace with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From the fuzzy picture, I'd say it's a SATA connection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That was a Seagate 200Gb HD?

Basically any 3.5" Sata drive will do the job, I would reccommend the Samsung F3 1TB or 500Gb versions as they probably still the best 7200 RPM hard drives around at the moment.

No size limit on what you can get, although for performance reasons I wouldn't get the larger 2TB 5400RPM drives if it is to be used as Operating System / Application installations, only go for the drive is for media / file storage only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

marco_polo wrote: »

Basically any 3.5" Sata drive will do the job, I would reccommend the Samsung F3 1TB or 500Gb versions as they probably still the best 7200 RPM hard drives around at the moment.

No size limit on what you can get, although for performance reasons I wouldn't get the larger 2TB 5400RPM drives if it is to be used as Operating System / Application installations, only go for the drive is for media / file storage only.

hi yeah there is 2 of those 200gb drives in the pc, raid, one has started to click, so its on its way out....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

marco_polo wrote: »

+1

The Samsung Spinpoint F3's are the next best thing to SSD's and you can pick up the 1TB version for about €60.

• Advertisement

hi thanks for all the replies, im a bit confused with sata 150 /300 etc

in the pc i have the intel SATA RAID controller, ICH7R/DH,

does it matter if i chose a drive thats sata 150/300? does that make a difference?

i was just on the HP part surfer, and it has my drive listed as ER891-69001 icon_X.gif
    200GB Serial ATA 3G (SATA) hard drive - 7,200 RPM - Does NOT include recovery discs
    RoHS: Original

i was going to go with 2 of these http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-500gb-spinpoint-f3-7200rpm-16mb-sata-6605.html ( as recommended earlier) and add them into the raid ....

will these samsung drives work ok with my system?

and also one of these

http://www.dabs.ie/products/akasa-duodock-desktop-docking-enclosure-for-2-5----3-5--sata-hdd---black-634F.html

am i correct in thinking that i have a SATA 150 controller in my pc?
    i was using the pc set as RAID 0 which was good for games, and very fast loading, boots real quick etc...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

SATA II is 'backwards compatible', second recommendations for the Samsungs, look beyond Dabs and Komplett, check Amazon as you'll most likely get free shipping...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

just thought id update this thread, bought a number of the samsung spinpoint f3 drives 500gb for €37 from dabs.ie, very fast drive, and very quiet.... great price.......

Advertisement