Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need permission to shoot Cathedrals?

• 18-11-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

I plan on shooting the exterior of 6 cathedrals on large format. Christ Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral are two examples. Can I just show up and grab my shots or do I need permission and permits etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its best to ask for permission if you are doing interiors - but if you are outside and taking photos from a public area - then work away.

do you intend using the images to make money...or just shoot them for personal use ?

most churches would have no problem - although some dont permit photography inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I don't think it'd be a problem, but best to ask permission IMO.

Contact for St Patricks

Contact for ChristChurch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're standing on cathedral property when you're shooting, they're within their rights to ask you to move. i doubt they'd ask you, assuming it's for a college project, but can't hurt to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As long as you're on public property they have no say whatsoever. The only exception to this rule that I have ever heard of is the Eiffel Tower. According to the French government, any photographs taken of the Eiffel Tower at night require their permission to distribute.

Once you are on their property the issue changes. Most Cathedrals are open to the public, and you will be allowed to take photographs, but you have to stop as soon as you are asked. I'm pretty certain (if someone could confirm this please) that any photos taken up to that point are as yours as any photo you take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Well as I said, just exterior shots. I've never been to any of the cathedrals I plan on shooting so I'm not sure whethere I'll need to actually enter the property or not. It is for a college project.

How likely is it that I'd be asked to leave if taking a shot from the cathedral grounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Zillah wrote: »
    The only exception to this rule that I have ever heard of is the Eiffel Tower. According to the French government, any photographs taken of the Eiffel Tower at night require their permission to distribute.

It's actually not the Eiffel Tower that you are not allowed to take pictures of, but it's lightning. So if you find a way to switch off the light on the Eiffel Tower, you are free to take pictures of it at night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How likely is it that I'd be asked to leave if taking a shot from the cathedral grounds?
    i'd say you'd have a one in twenty chance of being asked to leave. as long as you're fully dressed. don't do it naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Pretty minimal. You're chances are zero if no one notices you, so try not to rock the boat. Even if someone asks you what you're doing, saying that it is for a college project is pretty much the most innocuous answer one could give.

Thanks fellas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

shouldn't have any problems - although i remember being in St Paul's Cathedral in London a few years back (course the UK is different than here) and they had a policy of absolutely NO photography of the interior, no exceptions - even saw people being pulled using camera phones, lots of people being confronted by an unseen steward up in the whispering gallery :)
    no problems at all with outside tho! even up at the very top as long as it was outdoors.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    You're chances are zero if no one notices you
    a tough task given it's a photo on a LF camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

If you're planning to go into either St Patricks or Christchurch bring money as they charge about €5.50 to get in

Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement