Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Gait Analysis?

Options
  • 18-11-2010 1:05pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, need some advice...

Around the start of October I picked up running and went to Runways to get a gait analysis done. They told me there I had a neutral gait and picked out some shoes for me; off I went happy as Larry. Fast forward a few weeks later and I think their analysis was wrong - I think I may be an over-pronator. When I run I seem to land more on the outside of my feet, particularly my right foot. I also get pretty sore muscles on the inside of my right leg during a run.

Thing is I'm broke and have no money to buy a new pair of shoes. Is the shop in any way likely to give me a refund or store credit since they recommended the wrong shoe for me originally? My shoes are now filthy and slightly worn so they aren't in any way appropriate for resale.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

GAIT analysis is a bit of con really. Most people haven't a clue what they are doing when the do it in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Hey all, need some advice...

Around the start of October I picked up running and went to Runways to get a gait analysis done. They told me there I had a neutral gait and picked out some shoes for me; off I went happy as Larry. Fast forward a few weeks later and I think their analysis was wrong - I think I may be an over-pronator. When I run I seem to land more on the outside of my feet, particularly my right foot. I also get pretty sore muscles on the inside of my right leg during a run.

Thing is I'm broke and have no money to buy a new pair of shoes. Is the shop in any way likely to give me a refund or store credit since they recommended the wrong shoe for me originally? My shoes are now filthy and slightly worn so they aren't in any way appropriate for resale.

Thoughts?

Nothing you describe in your post would necessarily indicate bad gait analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I think their analysis was wrong - I think I may be an over-pronator. When I run I seem to land more on the outside of my feet, particularly my right foot. I also get pretty sore muscles on the inside of my right leg during a run.

Running on the outside of your foot would suggest supination (the "opposite" of pronation).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm not sure I understand... What kind of shoes do I need to correct this (if any)?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Donothop - AFAIK most pronators land on the outside of the foot then roll in.

Fluoresence - I'd doubt you're gonna get an answer to your question on here. Someone that knows what they are talking about needs to see you running to make that judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Donothop - AFAIK most pronators land on the outside of the foot then roll in.

Fluoresence - I'd doubt you're gonna get an answer to your question on here. Someone that knows what they are talking about needs to see you running to make that judgement.

Fair point, I shouldn't be guessing like that. Struck through my post. And infracted myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

You're forgiven ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I land on the outside of my right foot, but still wear mostly neutral trainiers. Though on longer runs when the legs get very tired, I do tend to pronate a bit. This can mean that your initial gait analysis was not necessarily wrong- just that you legs were very fresh and hence your gait was more efficient.

You could just buy a pair of slightly more supportive runners (nike lunarglide, asics 1150 or the like) and see if they fix your problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There's a lot of moderate support shoes around that would probably do the trick for you. I find http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ a really good source for finding out about/checking out shoes before I buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭pauric1

i was in runways last week and found that one assistant didnt know what he was talking about and actually shrugged his shoulders and said " i dunno" when i asked him a few questions and the other fella just didnt give a s*** and was a bit condescending.

i certainly wont be recommending them for anything.

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Just to add a bit of balance I've shopped in Runways on numerous occasions and always found the staff to b polite, helpful and imformative....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

liamo123 wrote: »
    Just to add a bit of balance I've shopped in Runways on numerous occasions and always found the staff to b polite, helpful and imformative....

Me too.

Advertisement