Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio for H-Dip in Art and Design Education - Help?!

Options
  • 18-11-2010 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of applying for a H-Dip in Art Education and Design in NCAD (among other places) but I'm really confused as to where to start in relation to my portfolio?eek.gif

I have a BA in Photography - but I'm not sure if the portfolio should contain just Photography? Should it be a mix of this...painting...calligraphy etc?

Also, what's the recommended size and amount of work?
    I can't seem to find any info anywhere or anyone that's willing to talk to me to help me out so I'm at a bit of a loss!confused.gif

Finally, if I have no previous teaching experience - are they really going to hold that against me? I have heard that they want to see you are keen in a teaching career, and I most definitely am but as of yet I have no experience under my belt!

Any help/advice/websites on this would be of GREAT help!
    Thanks for reading!x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Are you sure that a degree in photography is accepted by the teaching council for registering as an art teacher let alone by art colleges for the postgrad? Id be doubtful, unless your degree contained drawing, painting, sculpture, design etc. As far as I know Crawford even tightened up their accepted degrees in recent years to block graphic design grads as they were considered not to have enough done in the areas mentioned. I dont for sure obviously but this should be your first task before sorting out a portfolio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 audreyd

kob29 wrote: »
    Are you sure that a degree in photography is accepted by the teaching council for registering as an art teacher let alone by art colleges for the postgrad? Id be doubtful, unless your degree contained drawing, painting, sculpture, design etc. As far as I know Crawford even tightened up their accepted degrees in recent years to block graphic design grads as they were considered not to have enough done in the areas mentioned. I dont for sure obviously but this should be your first task before sorting out a portfolio

Thanks for your reply!Yes it is as far as I know, I have a close friend who got accepted to said course and out of 20 places 4 were given to those who had a degree in Photography alone...She also said there was people who had studied graphic design, interior design etc...Not sure about Crawford but as far as I know NCAD like people from different backgrounds...I have been doing fine art/calligraphy classes over the last few years as well to keep things up...there is no harm in trying, and I have been in touch with NCAD and they said there is no problem in applying...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭fghijkl

I can't give any advice on NCAD but i'd imagine they'd be more open of people from different artistic backgrounds..

Just on Crawford, word of warning if you're applying there, i'm from a graphic design background, and went for an interview there a few years ago for a post grad and oh my god i've never experienced people as rude as those who interviewed me!! I had to laugh when i got a phone call 2 days before the course was due to start to say i'd been accepted because someone had not taken a place and i was next on the list (i was already 3 weeks into a course in another college:rolleyes:)

some people from my course applied for Hdip in crawford and told me they were also treated like crap in the interview, basically told to go jump that design wasn't real "art", i know crawford really just wanted to see "proper art :rolleyes: " in portfolios, painting/drawings etc.. so i'd be inclined to keep photography stuff to a minimum if applying there. :)

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 audreyd

fghijkl wrote: »
    I can't give any advice on NCAD but i'd imagine they'd be more open of people from different artistic backgrounds..

Just on Crawford, word of warning if you're applying there, i'm from a graphic design background, and went for an interview there a few years ago for a post grad and oh my god i've never experienced people as rude as those who interviewed me!! I had to laugh when i got a phone call 2 days before the course was due to start to say i'd been accepted because someone had not taken a place and i was next on the list (i was already 3 weeks into a course in another college:rolleyes:)

some people from my course applied for Hdip in crawford and told me they were also treated like crap in the interview, basically told to go jump that design wasn't real "art", i know crawford really just wanted to see "proper art :rolleyes: " in portfolios, painting/drawings etc.. so i'd be inclined to keep photography stuff to a minimum if applying there. :)

Best of luck :)

thanks for the advice!i'm not really considering crawford, as I just don't want to study down there!it was more NCAD or England!

Advertisement