Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airwave bike tubes

• 18-11-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

got a couple of these from crc, was changing a tube lastnight on a brand new bike, was very hard to get the tyre off so was using a couple of spoons as dont have tyre levers..anyway managed to puncture the new tube with the spoon ends when trying to get the last bit of the tyre back on.

I repaired this, then gave the tube about 3 pumps of my track pump(while outside the tyre). The area near the valve had a big bubble in it and inflated quicker than the rest of the tube, and at pump no. 3 it exploded..

is this normal, or did I put too much air in the tube while it was outside the tyre? I ask as I am about to order more tubes and there is a good deal on crc on a 10 pack of these airwave tubes...anyone used them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

sounds like too much air tbh. while you're on crc, order some tyre levers too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I've seen some cheaper tubes bulge, but never explode.

I was thinking of the same thing a few months ago, just to save a bit of cash, but after reading too many bad reviews, I bought some Schwalbe tubes instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

kenmc wrote: »
    sounds like too much air tbh. while you're on crc, order some tyre levers too though.

I'd go for this. I don't know what pressure you had in the tube, but I know people who have tried inflating a tube all the way to 100+PSI outside the tyre, only for it to explode at a much lower pressure, and them left with a puzzled look on their face. The simple fact is that tubes can't take too much pressure outside a tyre, as it is the tyre rather than the tube that (other than the valve) takes the majority of the force of the air trying to expand. This is why tyres have have max pressures on their sidewalls, whereas tubes do not. Now it could be the case that before you hit full pressure with the tube in the tyre that the repair would have given way, but the fact that the tube exploded suggests that wasn't the weak point.

Had the tube been in a tyre, that bulge might have been harmless, and retained by the tyre wall, though a tube giving way after 3 pumps from even a track pump does sound like failing without much pressure all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Maybe there's a reason the Airwave motto printed on the box is 'lets blow **** up'...

Having to use spoons levers to refit the tyre suggests you're doing it wrong. When refitting, push the bead of the tyre right into the centre of the rim so that it's closer to the hub. That's often enough to allow you to push the last bit of tyre over the rim using your thumbs pushing outwards from the hub.

Advertisement