Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kaps Binoculars

Options
  • 18-11-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Since years I’ve been looking for an alternative for the high end German/Austrian optics. One doesn’t mind spending good money on good products but I don’t like spending only for the names sake. Since a few years I’ve been looking at the products of a small German company that are mainly involved in the manufacture of medical microscopes. Since many years they quietly manufacture very good rifle scopes as a side line business. I visit their exhibition booth every year when I’m at the IWA in Germany. This year Kaps had introduced a new range of binoculars 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 with multi and phase coated lenses. One good thing about the IWA exhibition is, that most optical exhibitors are in one hall and one can nicely compare products. We could compare the new bino’s to products from Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, Minox and Leica . I wanted to order a set of 8x42 Kaps right away but was told that the few binoculars on the stand were only prototypes and that the production was about to start. I recently found out that the Kaps binoculars are on the shelf and I ordered a set in 8x42. This is possibly the best size for stalking in Ireland, 8x32 might be ok for daylight but not as good in low light conditions, 10x42 might be a bit wobbly if used single handed. In the meantime I have handed around the binoculars to experienced stalkers and received very positive response.
    We compared Kaps 8x42 to Leica Ultravid 7x42, Vortex Razor 8x42, Swarovski SLC’s 7x50. The Japanese Vortex Razor which Retail at around 600 Euro are very easy to handle but are not quite as bright as the European glass. The lightest and smallest of the four sets are the Kaps weighing 650 grams. Field of view is very good at 126m or 7.2 deg angle.
    It is very difficult to judge high end optics and for myself, all of these four sets have a wow effect when one looks through. Without knowing prices I would choose between the Leica’s and the Kaps because these win on best performance vs weight and size. Looking at prices.... the Kaps 8x42 costs only a fraction of the Leica’s. Retail prices of Kaps Binoculars are hopefully not only introduction prices. Retail prices are roughly 409,- Euro for the 8x32, 429,- Euro for the 8x42 and 449,- for the 10x42.

Left to right: Kaps 8x42, Leica Ultravid 7x42, Vortex Razor 8x42, Swarovski 7x50 SLC ( eye cups fully extended on all sets)
    DSCN5156.jpg

DSCN5157.jpg

DSCN5182.jpg

edi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Great review edi, certainly looks like some lovely terrain in the background to test them on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Edi are those the Bino's I was looking through?
    I found them quite gooid in dim light and very clear.

If Santa Clause is listening, please can I have a pair in 10x42.

Although I have to say, if they were green I'd be more attracted to them (personal preference on colour)

Bino's to be any use in stalking IMvHumbleO have to be as small as possible without a light transmission trade off.

I mostly stalk alone, so I have to keep weight down to a minimum if I am to consider dragging a deer back through a few fields and a few ditches ;)

Best of luck with the new product line!
    I'm still thinking about those roedale moderators!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Thanks Vegeta & Tac,

Tac, the 10x42 weighs about the same as the 8x42 and has the same dimensions. Field of view is a bit smaller though.

Check out their website, www.kaps-optik.de
    as one can expect service will be very straight forward as it is only
    a medium sized Family run company.
    They have a webshop on that site also.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Take a long hard look at the Minox 8x42 BR available at Crescent Sports,Monkstown,Co.Dublin for 199 euro.

Now that is incredible value for a pair of bins that were 499 a couple of years ago.
    End of line I think but excellent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Whats the best binoculars you can get, not for hunting but for looking at scenery etc. I want a good pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

look at leica, swarovski and zeiss, usually with optics you get what you pay for so the more expensive the better they will be, although there probably is some exceptions, make sure and look through as many as you can before buying as everybody is differant

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Whats the best binoculars you can get, not for hunting but for looking at scenery etc. I want a good pair.

My take is....
    There are bad binoculars and good binoculars,
    very seldom, if ever are good binoculars cheap.
    Most of the bad binoculars are just horrible to look through and often not
    fit for purpose.
    Up to now the brilliant binoculars such as the top range of Swarovski
    (they also have not so good bino's), Leica, Zeiss, Leitz seemed to be on
    their own, far ahead in quality. This has changed in the last years even
    if many don't like admitting it. Companies like Meopta, Kahles, Kaps and Doctor
    are knocking on the door.... most people will not be able to notice
    an optical difference to the top three or four although they are half the
    price if not 1/3 as in Kaps's case.
    After that come a row of competitors that produce really useable good binoculars.
    To name a few; Minox, Eschenbach, Steiner, high end Nikon.

Then loads of nasty makes which are mostly a waste of time.

Buy one brilliant set and have it for life.

Important is to choose the right size, weight and magnification for the intended purpose.
    For low light purpose the good old 8x56 is possibly the best hand held size
    but they are often fairly heavy (over 1kg) and large.
    Above 8 magnification it gets difficult to hold steady by hand.
    Little bino's such as 10x25 tend to be finicky as the light beam that hits
    the pupil is only 2.5mm and must find the pupil first...
    For traveling or as a universal binocular 8x42 is hard to beat.
    Good resolution can replace magnification.

The best binoculars I've looked through where possibly swarovski EL 8.5x42
    But then they are larger and heavier than the Kaps I have now. Weight
    and size is a huge issue for hunting as well as price.
    If I would have both sets, I would grab the Kaps when going hunting as
    the optical difference to my eye is so small compared to the weight/size
    handicap of the swarovski.

edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

ejg wrote: »
    My take is....
    There are bad binoculars and good binoculars,
    very seldom, if ever are good binoculars cheap.
    Most of the bad binoculars are just horrible to look through and often not
    fit for purpose.
    Up to now the brilliant binoculars such as the top range of Swarovski
    (they also have not so good bino's), Leica, Zeiss, Leitz seemed to be on
    their own, far ahead in quality. This has changed in the last years even
    if many don't like admitting it. Companies like Meopta, Kahles, Kaps and Doctor
    are knocking on the door.... most people will not be able to notice
    an optical difference to the top three or four although they are half the
    price if not 1/3 as in Kaps's case.
    After that come a row of competitors that produce really useable good binoculars.
    To name a few; Minox, Eschenbach, Steiner, high end Nikon.

Then loads of nasty makes which are mostly a waste of time.

Buy one brilliant set and have it for life.

Important is to choose the right size, weight and magnification for the intended purpose.
    For low light purpose the good old 8x56 is possibly the best hand held size
    but they are often fairly heavy (over 1kg) and large.
    Above 8 magnification it gets difficult to hold steady by hand.
    Little bino's such as 10x25 tend to be finicky as the light beam that hits
    the pupil is only 2.5mm and must find the pupil first...
    For traveling or as a universal binocular 8x42 is hard to beat.
    Good resolution can replace magnification.

The best binoculars I've looked through where possibly swarovski EL 8.5x42
    But then they are larger and heavier than the Kaps I have now. Weight
    and size is a huge issue for hunting as well as price.
    If I would have both sets, I would grab the Kaps when going hunting as
    the optical difference to my eye is so small compared to the weight/size
    handicap of the swarovski.

edi

Cheers Edi. I will paste this on to Santys list!!!!. I told herself thats what I want so she knows now!!!;)

Advertisement