Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacing for spots

Options
  • 18-11-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Just wondering how the rest of you lay out spots, say in a rectangular room, say 14 feet X 13 feet. with 8 spots total or whatever amount you think would suit.

i

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Had replied but was thinking it was 16 lights, so deleted,

But in an almost square room its a tricky one for 8 spots

I suppose it could be 4 in an outer square shape and 4 in an inner square if you know what i mean, so they would be 4 lights along each diagonal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Did spots in a similar sized room last year but I used 6 spots, 3 each side. Worked out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

the way we generally lay them out is to measure the room (in your case 14 x 13) then divide the distance be the amount of lights you want. so that would be 14/4= 3.5 and then divide that answer by two to give you distance from wall to first light (1.75m) and then 3.5 between the lights from then on. do the same for the other direction also. hope this helps out. id say 8 is too few lights tho 12 mite be a better amount all depends on room tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have 17 spots in my living room alone

24 feet long x 16.5 feet wide.

The sparks spent a few hours with a chalk line and a lazer meter working out the spacing,and drilling with a 50mm hole saw.Turned out well and the light quality is nice.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Two rows of four, or drop two and use two rows of three. Measure it evenly between walls, but remember, it'll never work out perfectly, as murphy's law will intervene at some stage and you'll hit a joist. Move that pair of fittings slightly and it'll never be noticed, as I did in my room.

the way we generally lay them out is to measure the room (in your case 14 x 13) then divide the distance be the amount of lights you want. so that would be 14/4= 3.5 and then divide that answer by two to give you distance from wall to first light (1.75m) and then 3.5 between the lights from then on. do the same for the other direction also. hope this helps out. id say 8 is too few lights tho 12 mite be a better amount all depends on room tho

I had written that exact same setup forgetting it was 8 lights he had, 8 wont really work in that shape room so i deleted post, although in your bracket should be 1.75 feet which was 21 inches i had as well.

6 is better like others suggest.

Two rows of four, or drop two and use two rows of three. Measure it evenly between walls, but remember, it'll never work out perfectly, as murphy's law will intervene at some stage and you'll hit a joist. Move that pair of fittings slightly and it'll never be noticed, as I did in my room.

Murphys law is right, ye`d never find a joist if lookin for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

the way we generally lay them out is to measure the room (in your case 14 x 13) then divide the distance be the amount of lights you want. so that would be 14/4= 3.5 and then divide that answer by two to give you distance from wall to first light (1.75m) and then 3.5 between the lights from then on.

Thats the way we generally do them, half a measure to first light then whole between lights. so it would be half, whole, whole, half.

Much easier with laser as well

paddy147 wrote: »
    I have 17 spots in my living room alone

24 feet long x 16.5 feet wide.

The sparks spent a few hours with a chalk line and a lazer meter working out the spacing,and drilling with a 50mm hole saw.Turned out well and the light quality is nice.:)

Looks good alright. Would`t mind the LED ones and dimmer myself.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Looks good alright. Would`t mind the LED ones and dimmer myself.

I changed all them over to the Philips 4W LED,s and the dimmer panels,and have to say,it was well worth the effort and few extra euros.:D

I changed all them over to the Philips 4W LED,s and the dimmer panels,and have to say,it was well worth the effort and few extra euros.:D

How much are them 4w LEDs and the dimmer panel switches you used, id only need a single or maybe 2 gang switch.

How much are them 4w LEDs and the dimmer panel switches you used, id only need a single or maybe 2 gang switch.

11 euro plus vat in Eurosales.:)

The tripple switch dimmer panel beside the staris and double dimmer panel at the other end of the living room (both MK),well I dont know,as that was an extra that the electrician did for me just near the end of the house rewire.;)

Pics of Philips 4W GU10 LED,s.Fully dimmable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Great Pics Paddy147, thanks for taking the time to post them.

11 euro plus vat in Eurosales.:)

The tripple switch dimmer panel beside the staris and double dimmer panel at the other end of the living room (both MK),well I dont know,as that was an extra that the electrician did for me just near the end of the house rewire.;)

Very good paddy, looks like great light out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

those 4watt phillips dimmables are only 11 euro :)

seems too good to be true

jeez i was quoted about 30 for dimmable leds a while back

haven't bought any mind you

M cebee wrote: »
    those 4watt phillips dimmables are only 11 euro :)

seems too good to be true

jeez i was quoted about 30 for dimmable leds a while back

haven't bought any mind you

Yeah,it does sound too good to be true,but believe me,it is true.:)

Very good paddy, looks like great light out of them.

The light quality is a nice warm/homely quality of light.:)

Not that harsh white that some LEDs give off,even when its claimed they are a warm white.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you'd make a great sales rep. paddy
    philips should be paying you for this:pac:

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    you'd make a great sales rep. paddy
    philips should be paying you for this:pac:

Dont I know.:D

Advertisement